How did school fuck up people's interest in the beauty of math? Why do so many students avoid math...

How did school fuck up people's interest in the beauty of math? Why do so many students avoid math? Even the high achieving students who got A in Calculus were not interested in pursing math.

Other urls found in this thread:

maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's no such thing as beauty in math. It's just a meme people use to get kids interested in math.

>How did school fuck up people's interest in the beauty of math?

75% of people don't give a shit about math beyond basic arithmetic and 97% don't care about university math unless it has immediate practical application. Don't blame schools for killing interest in math. The only things that elementary and high schools do wrong is making simple concepts complicated, but that's because the teachers are retarded cat ladies.

most people have no practical use of it in their lives, so they can't be bothered
also it is really boring
>mfw cs student and i fucking hate math. probably gonna fail

>Math is beautiful
When will this meme die

Without math, there is no freedom.

>pursing math

Did you mean "purging math?" Sounds like fun.

people by default are not interested in math

left to their own devices, a human will want to do drugs, have sex, play sports, etc...

math is a rare acquired taste

Are you saying that humans shouldn't be conditioned into being persons just because they naturally lean towards becoming non-persons?

>Why do so many students avoid math?

ever think that most people just don't get it or can't do it?

I like to learn maths but I didn't like the classes I had at school. Everything was taught like shit you have to do step by step with no reason.
In my country, teachers taught at a very slow pace because of brainlets.
I could partly agree with OP.

>In my country, teachers taught at a very slow pace because of brainlets.

Isn't that how it it's like in every country except South East Asian ones?

I don't know why it's so frowned upon to learn something just for fun. KEK

I have a memory as a kid
>Be dumb kid
>Ask female math teacher about why we need math and why I need to learn it
>She says she dosent know and I just need to learn it
>Other teacher says the only useful thing about math is percentage calculations

That killed my interest and motivation

Funny you post that, solids of revolution was one of the first things in math I really found "beautiful" in any significant way. Such a simple way to describe a solid object.

Especially what OP is showing, that some boring ass math.

It takes a certain type of personality to be interested in math (my opinion, not saying this is 100% true)

IMO, the introverts are the only ones who can truly succeed in math. It really does take a long attention span and comfort to be left alone to one's self for long periods of time in order to engage in serious study of the subject.

However, there are too many people out there who go crazy without human contact for as little as one hour. So they can't focus which leads to them having to study something simple in college like 'Sociology' or 'Gender Studies' where everything is Layer 1 deep and doesn't require any deep thought. Add that with the fact that we are continually bombarded with more and more distractions each and every day means that it's getting even harder for most people to sit, study, and appreciate the beauty of mathematics. Math hasn't changed but we, as a culture, have. Calculus 1 is probably as high as you can go and still get an A without truly understanding/caring about the material by just undergoing rote memorization.

Lastly, there's peer pressure. The mainstream opinion amongst teens is "Math sucks" which will lead to people on the fence jumping onboard and ditching the study of math altogether.

OP's handwriting made me cum.

Solids of Revolution? That sounds like, that looks like, so cool and all, but I heard Khloe Kardashian has a new boyfriend so I totallllyyyyy had to like, go to tmz and get the latest scoop

I'll look at this tomorrow

I'm not the best at math, but currently working to get better at it.

I like it because it it feels like a puzzle to me. Programming just adds into the enjoyment of math for me - it's like a 3d puzzle at that point. Something that has depth beyond the sheet of paper, and watching all those cogs work together is immensely satisfying.

It's because computational math sucks and people cumming while solving equations are freaks. These facts make people avoid studying pure math, as they see it as solving more complicated equations if they don't check out stuff, even Wikipedia would break this idea.

Manufactured consent straight off the press

Math is like martial arts, it takes a lot of effort, training, and discipline to get good at. This is equivalent to asking why everyone isn't jacked and 8% BF, everyone would like to be jacked and 8% BF but it takes a lot of effort and discipline.

Yeah and philosophy isn't taught at all
Evolution: optimal
Ecological literacy: "equalibrium

I remember being an undergraduate during freshman orientation and some dude saying he likes to find derivatives of functions for fun, what a faggot.

Yeah and philosophy isn't taught at all
Evolution: optional
Ecological literacy: "equilibrium"
History, gov, social science: state propaganda
And people are purposefully distracted from being informed, just look at our media and adviertizing
>watch the sports, root for your team, oh look at this celebrity babie, get angry at American Airlines,
don't talk about climate change and all that other downer stuff, ya might offend someone, check out these top ten minimalistic pop songs at 120bpm
>buy a truck, need a lawyer?, watch the new Star Wars, call the addiction hotline, this pipeline will great job and economic growth, we got loans 4 u
>economic growth
:(
This isn't some big conspiracy it's an emergent system shaped by countless tiny conspiracies incentivized by an already inherently flawed system that is also corrupted beyond repair now.
>Just don't start asking questions or counterculture will happen again that's bad for industry and bad for you

I had a similar story

>ask teacher why I need to learn this math
>She said it's good for your brain
>I bought into her argument
The fact is that a person doesn't need to do math to do good for your brain. Training your brain to be well and doing math isn't mutual exclusive. Gawd, what a mediocre P.E teacher dumb bitch.

Most people hate thinking hard, and they aren't good at it anyway. The "ANYONE CAN DO MATHS!!!!" meme is fucking retarded.

Anyone can do math, we do it everyday.

No one has posted this yet?
maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

But the problem isn't just mathematics. Most teachers suck at teaching. A giant hunk of that is mandated syllabi as well as competence and shitacular training. People who end up pursuing formal education do so in spite of the academic environment.

Math is easy. True problems arise from the real world.

real life.

math requires high intel, but it's low reward.

high intel people tend towards the highest reward they can get.

low intel people settle for low rewards.

I think it's because it's mainly learned solely through rote repetition, there's no "hook" to it to get anybody interested like with reading and other things. It's just "do these pages and pages of math problems, you need to learn how to do this."

>math requires high inte
lolno.

It's 99% nothing but memorizing and applying heuristics.

There -are- poor teachers, but
>Most teachers suck at teaching
is just a line students cling to when things don't go the way they expect.

>is just a line students cling to when things don't go the way they expect.
I disagree wholeheartedly. To teach well, you have to have mastery of both the subject and communicating the subject in multiple ways. Both being present in someone who is actually teaching is an extraordinary thing. I'd even posit it's more rare than true geniuses. Often you'll see one or the other, but both to a sufficient degree? Nope.

Last couple of sentences.

1) Teacher's don't teach with proofs, so students just memorize the formulas, which is a god awful way to learn anything. Because of this lapse in understanding, students think math is arbitrary and can only be learned through hard and tedious work.

2) Even though they don't use proofs, there are still difficult questions to be asked that don't involve proofs, these are sadly ignored for pages of routine exercises. So now math is boring on top of being arbitrary, hard and tedious (from the student's point of view).

3) Applications, if they're even brought up, are completely trivial or contrived (most related rates questions), and usually of interest to only one group (e.g. Newton's Law of Cooling is only interesting to physics kids). They're trivial because you can't assume too much background, they're too easy for the kids who are interested in the application area and boring to those who aren't.

4) I think there is a pretty weak correlation, if one exists at all, between an A in high school calculus and university success, you can memorize your way through and end up with an A.

>Teacher doesn't even explain just sends homework
>get called stupid and to quit math because I don't know how to do that homework

You'd be surprised at how many teachers just make you memorize formulas without explaining how they work

I am so horrified after reading half the article. Math teachers in k-12 truly are scum for ruining people's interest in math. In my opinion, somebody in a minimum wage job is more value some a loser middle-school math teacher.

Most people teach math shitty and it comes off as too confusing and most people don't need a high level of math.
That's the main reason I don't care for anything beyond Calc 1.

nice handwriting

For most people it isn't interesting. When I tell people about re-creating zones for permissible conduct on a nature reserve, most people don't care. Even the people it involves don't care. The zones exist so that you aren't doing artillery exercises in a rare bird's mating grounds during a certain time of the year, but those who are shelling don't really care WHY they can't shell there, they just want to know what they can't do. Because of this, I redid the zones into A, B, C, etc. with A = no loud noises, or what have you.

tl;dr means nothing to most people and if it's pointless to them they don't care at all. Nobody but mathfags will use limits, or even know what "delta" stands for

>South East Asian
You mean North East Asian ones.