If I started Jupiter on fire would it become a star?

If I started Jupiter on fire would it become a star?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter#Storms_and_lightning
nasa.gov/centers/goddard/multimedia/largest/lightning.html
nature.com/ngeo/journal/v4/n9/full/ngeo1205.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dunno, why don't you try it?

That's not helpful

Did you try it?

If you burn a balloon does it becomes a star?
You need to turn it into a nuclear reactor for something like that, not just start a fire.

But a balloon is not a (small) star sized collection of flammable gas

Hydrogen is only flammable if there is oxygen.

I'm pretty sure Jupiter doesn't have the necessary mass to sustain continued fusion of lighter elements into heavier ones for millions of years.

no
that isn't how stars work

Are there calculations on what would happen if you had a globe of water with a Jupiter's mass worth of hydrogen?

Ohhh, and then what would happen if you smashed it into a similarly massed ball of fire!

sun made of lava vs sun made of ice

nah nig, we have to do a proof of concept with a jupiter of water and jupiter of fire first.

fire can't exist with the chemical composition and atmospheric pressures as well as the winds. it gets hit by asteroids fucking daily without getting caught on fire.

Maybe that's just because OP hasn't tried to light it.

it will block your path

A star is fueled by itself
this is a planet which has fast as fuck wind speeds and the gasses aren't potent enough to make the fire visible from outerspace

There are lighting storms all the fucking times on Jupiter. Giant fucking spark plugs. It doesn't have enough oxygen and that's not how stars burn regardless.

>here are lighting storms all the fucking times on Jupiter.

Not true

the fire rises

It's a big planet

>asteroids are Bic lighters

So if there was oxygen in Jupiter I could light it on fire?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter#Storms_and_lightning
nasa.gov/centers/goddard/multimedia/largest/lightning.html

Compress the fucker. After certain point it will start burning itself.

That doesn't make any sense

What was the point of this image?

The fuck are you talking about? Of course it's true.

Prove it desu

It's estimated that Jupiter is about 1/75th the mass it needs to be to ignite as a light-hydrogen-burning red dwarf, and about 1/13th the mass it needs to ignite as a deuterium-burning brown dwarf.

Nothing short of dramatically increasing the mass will cause it to ignite.

I could but this guy already did

Have you ever been there? Have you ever seen jupiter lightning in person? Then you can't prove it.

Here's some lightning on jupiter.

wow really got me there. Can't prove your real either because I have never seen you, so I am perfectly within my rights to tell to fucking kill yourself.

It would be extremely butaneful.

Yes. I have seen Jupiter lightning in person. Have YOU been to Jupiter?

It's going to set itself on fire pretty much immediately.

fire is a chain reaction that requires heat, fuel, and oxygen. Any oxygen on Jupiter would be liquid oxygen. Have you ever try to light liquid oxygen on fire??

>dunno, why don't you try it?

I have an old encyclopedia on CD from the 90's where they had a video (it was a black white gif really, but gifs were video in the 90's) and the caption said they were launching nukes into Jupiter in an attempt to ignite it and turn it into a star. THIS WAS AN ENCYCLOPEDIA SAYING THIS!!! I'll never forget that. Now any mention of that it is met with a reply of being crackpot conspiracy theorist. I don't know what to believe.

Nuclear fusion, mate.

There is a theory that at the core of our Earth there's is nuclear. It explains the heat, and why there's helium in our soil. It might even explain why our core is made of iron, as all nuclear decay produces iron eventually. Jupiter's magnetic field is ENORMOUS!! It's possible it has a much larger iron core left over from nuclear fusion.

Maybe Jupiter already is a star, except it's plasma is unable to escape it's own gravity.

Yes, my teacher told me at the center of the sun there is carbon being burned. So you just have to get to the center of Jupiter and light the carbon on fire and it will become a Sun.

>There is a theory
Was a paper on that theory published in a reputable journal? Because i sounds like bullshit, and all the things it "explains" are already very well explained by better explanations.

kek, was your teacher Bill Nye or BSM?

nature.com/ngeo/journal/v4/n9/full/ngeo1205.html

Paper only describes heat emissions. The rest is plausible IMO, however those are the opinions of a nobody posting on an anonymous basket weaving web forum.

>paper is about radioactive decay
You fucked up pretty bad m8, of course there's radioactive decay occurring in the core, but you said fusion.

you would need 80 jupiters to come together to get fusion ignition and form a red dwarf.

But I thought all you need to ignite something is gas and a match.

no because it requires nuclear fusion in order to burn like our star.

For it to under-go fusion we need to compress it untill it is about 1/4 it's current size, then maintain that force (prefferably with a gravity well) in order to keep it burning.

"Burning" term used to describe thermonuclear fusion in this context, not an oxidizing chemical reaction.

It needs to be really hot in order to conduct nuclear fusion. Hotter than baby stars can get. They do it because of the pressure their mass exerts on their core, which allows for fusion to occur at lower temperatures.

So, compress that bitch a lot and it'll probably end up burning.

Ever heard of diesel engines?