Tfw I'll never be able to choose the best and right English translation of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey

Tfw I'll never be able to choose the best and right English translation of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey.

Best and right depend upon what you're looking to get out of it. Easy read? go with Fagles. Closest to greek is Lattimore. Fitzgerald is a good balance of easy to read and accurate to the greek, not to mention that the prose is beautiful. Historical relevance is Chapman and then Pope.
See? that wasn't too had

Which would you recommend to a friend?

Lattimore or Fitzgerald. Fagles is highschool-tier simplistic and while the Chapman and Pope are some of the most beautiful poems ever written, they don't adhere very well to the Homeric Greek.

A noose. Go away with your stupid problems.

I forgot about Mandelbaum, he gets an honorary mention for a cheaply priced version, even if he does slip in and out of Dr. Suess-tier rhymed couplets.

LOMBARDO
O
M
B
A
R
D
O

Fitzgerald is standard. Lattimore and Fagles are babby tier undergradshit.

You're a faggot.

Have you read all of his work?

>translation
>best and right

>Not reading them in original greek
It's your own fault op.

Thoughts on Mandelbaum's Aeneid?

If you're so concerned about it you can read multiple translations
Also this

That's why you read several. Looking for "the best" translation of Dante, Homer, Beowulf, etc., is silly: read the top 3-6 and get a much better sense of the work.

>pope
>"translation"

I am reading Fitzgerald's for my first time with The Odyssey and I would recommend it OP.

For me its up to Fagles or Fitzgerald but then again Fitzgerald did not translate the Aeneid so might as well go for Fagles for all 3.

Ah, this is a good point. I'll probably have to switch to Fagles once I finish my Fitzgerald's Odyssey.

Any opinions on the E.V. Rieu's translations? My Illiad copy is an older penguin classic from 1950.

>Fitzgerald did not translate the Aeneid so might as well go for Fagles for all 3.
You are misinformed, young apprentice.

oh there we are then

Guess its just the online bookstores in my country that doesn't have it then

What country are you from?

Sweden

bookdepository have them though, which is free shipping.

even seems like the three hardbacks from Everymans Library is cheaper than the boxset from Penguin... Might get Fitzgerald after all.

Dunno, need to do more research into what translation is the greatest.

The best of the worst--that is, of prose translations. If you must read one of those, grab his or Butler's. Make sure it's the one revised by his wife's son.

What is the best edition of Lattimore?

How do you learn Greek?

What is the main difference between Lattimore and Fitzgerald?

>prose
are not all these translations written in verse?

Fitzgerald is not prose, that was probably a slip from that user. However there are plenty of prose translations as well. I remember reading they were even in vogue in the first half of last century. See