Visitor passing through. You seem like a contentious lot. Why?

Visitor passing through. You seem like a contentious lot. Why?

too many brainlets asking for homework help, degree advice and which textbook to use

fucking immigrants from /pol/

welcome to Veeky Forums, now piss off

We're not contentious we just HATE niggers.

This.

because of retarded threads like this.

The nigger-hate isn't what I meant - people here seem humourless. Are there many PhD students here?

If you've ever been to university, you begin to hate dumbfucks. They're an absolute waste of them.

Also the humour probably flies way over your head, and thus you're also one of those dumbfucks.

"They're an absolute waste of them."
You meant they're a waste of time, I think.

So on the topic of hating dumbfucks - what was the ratio of PhD students that end up working in their field again? :)

100% because research is their job

We have a hard time accepting that our intelligence and efforts won't ever really amount to much in the grand scheme of things because there's so few of us. It begins to grate on you after a while to realize that the dumbfucks really are what make up humanity and for all out talents, we won't make that much of a difference in the end. We're too socially delayed to express these views in public though, so we do it here.

You're quite generous to count the indentured servitude of a PhD student as employment, I think.

you get paid and the pay sucks, still working in your field. it's publish or perish in academia.

You sound like you're missing the magic of money.

"still working in your field"
For the duration of your time as a student - what about afterwards?

Most of us are here for validation that what we're choosing to spend our life's effort on is worth it. Once we get that validation from say, a well paying job, we fall off of coming here. Or at least, our rate of contentious shitposting drops off significantly

Aren't you angered by the fact that you aren't paid in proportion to the value of your labour? I'm tempted to be angered on your behalf - I cannot imagine a guy looking for work as a car salesman agreeing to apprentice at a dealership for marginal pay and all grunt work. It just wouldn't happen. It's a bitter thought that people who are trying to apply their gifts for the general betterment on civilization have to accept such a horrifically raw deal for a chance.

after you do a phD you either do a post doc or keep on doing your phD. you do research forever unless, you know, that's not for you and choose to do industry or consulting where your niche has applications.

In the context of the original question, how many people who study for a PhD take up work in their field _after completing it_?

Sounds cliche but you do it for science. You've also invested most of your life into it, so why not go down the rabbit hole.

The first reason is bittersweet and noble. The second reason sounds like the sunk-cost fallacy though.

Me personally, no, I'm good. But you asked about why this board seems such a contentious lot. If you pay attention to the threads and posts where people validate their opinions and comments with Nona rides, most are still in academia, either undergrad or some kind of grad school program. Likely not getting paid any exorbitant sums, but ought to understand that's not the point of their current endeavors.

Holy shit autocorrect. "Bona Fides", not Nona rides

It sounds like a giant endurance test - unending to the point of being detrimental to mental health. I wonder if it's not the fault of Academics themselves.

It's not unending if you do your due diligence and have a realistic end state in mind, commensurate with your talent and capacity. In my experience though... Most of my peers and lots of Veeky Forums types spend too much time on how they think the world oughta be, instead of actually planning and addressing their life around how the world actually is. Not to say they can't stil strive to make it better, but most aren't exactly smart about it. Remember what I said about being socially delayed? It applies to the macro as well as micro

That's exactly the general pattern of thinking I'd expect to hear from someone with a high level of fortitude. Any chance you're gunning for an MD?

I think this thread's usefulness ( to me, if no-one else ) is just about to expire but thank you for humouring me :)

Close, I'm in and around the bio side of the house. No problem though. Honestly I only responded specifically because the first 6 responses weren't exactly helpful nor representative of most of the non-shitposters here.

Fuck off back to /pol/ and stay there faggot.