Which books capture the modern human condition?

Which books capture the modern human condition?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EvWh6PMi9Ek
nytimes.com/2016/12/09/world/europe/geert-wilders-netherlands-trial.html
youtube.com/watch?v=DFLbGCM8hvY
youtube.com/watch?v=W4B_25sPhdk&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The kind of thinking presented if your pic isnt just a modern thing, people have always been shit, no one forces you to go into social media

This doesnt mean we shouldnt be throwing those people into gas chambers tho

Where's waldo

lmaoo

what's the marxist reading of where's waldo

Infinite Jest

you know it's true

Capital, Vols. 1, 2, & 3

The Phenomenology of Spirit.

I'm going to say The Human Condition, by Hannah Arendt.

you mean this

youtube.com/watch?v=EvWh6PMi9Ek

Do you modern as in modernity as in the past few centuries, or do you mean modern as in contemporary?

If the latter, are you looking for 'kids these days' types of bitching or an expression of one of these kids?

Also, contemporary doesn't really exists, since 27yos in 2016 have a different lived experience than 50yos in 2016. And then of course there is culture and geographics and politics and nationality and race to consider.

There is no one "modern" condition.

Welcome to the post-modern condition.

>Welcome to the post-modern condition.

You mean 1982-2004?

someones mad they have a shitty green bubble

We live in the least violent and most well-educated and literate and most intelligent era of all time, arguably humans are better than ever.

It's just that if you reach a technological state where everyone has a platform, you get a bunch of nonsense broadcasted. Which is a small price to pay compared to the platform it provides for smart people.

1982-1998 more like it. Post-modernism died before the turn of the century, it's just been dragged up from the academic graves by popular culture and memeified by illiterate parrots in recent years.

>Do you modern as in modernity as in the past few centuries
does anyones definition of modernity start before 1789? doubt it. for most its probably 1870

yes this. some boring parts ( intended I know) but all in all a gem. too bad we haven't had great millenial writers yet. seems people are so afraid of being contrary no one dares to hold a mirror anymore

Some go as far as to say the Renaissance, but a lot seem to go with the Enlightenment.

Green bubble?

>most intelligent era of all time

This is great.

>seems people are so afraid of being contrary no one dares to hold a mirror anymore
Seems like the regressive left has achieved cultural hegemony to the degree of de facto censorship regarding anything politically incorrect being widespread everywhere except a few niches of the internet as far as the West is concerned, to be honest.

It's not like there are no millennials with controversial but truthful things to say about our experience. It's just that mainstream culture is refusing to provide a platform.

It is. It just doesn't seem that way since you see all the contemporary morons around you drowning out the genius, while of 19th century Russia all you experience of a handful of authors and not the legions of illiterate peasants.

Quit bitching about political correctness you retard, nobody is stopping you from saying nigger

I think you have more chance in europe than america too btw. Houellebecq is more or less despised by the left yet he has a platform. Also, a lot of "critics" and writers alike find that politics and social commentary taints fiction/art, a result of our hyper-individualistic mindset, every critiscism is deemed as contrary for the sake of being edgy

go be 16 somewhere else please

Not every country enjoys the same freedom of speech as the United States, sadly.

In some European countries merely asking controversial questions about certain cultures and ethnicities is punishable by law.

>We live in the least violent and most well-educated and literate and most intelligent era of all time, arguably humans are better than ever.
You mean most pacified and brainwashed.

Give specific examples or I'm not going to believe you

google Holocaust denial laws

>Not every country enjoys the same freedom of speech as the United States, sadly.
There is no freedom of speech in the United States. You either conform to liberal dogma or you get blacklisted.

who on earth would want to remember the past two decades? let it all be forgotten

Same difference. Either way, what acts of revolutionary violence have you committed lately? Shitposting edgy opinions is cowardly.

nytimes.com/2016/12/09/world/europe/geert-wilders-netherlands-trial.html

Convicted for stating facts because they at odds with political correctness.

Sounds tough man
What have you been blacklisted from?

>oy vey goy, incriminate yourself on public website!

>questioning an "obvious" "historical" "fact" is against the law in most of Europe
really makes you think

Getting blacklisted is still better than being vanned and convicted by official trail for thoughtcrime though.

Literally the same thing in a lot of cases. Look up the people who disappeared and suicided because of pizzagate.

Adult Swim

What green bubble?

I would say there is still an essential difference between de facto black ops and what have you and open and official state policy that goes for a large part unquestioned.

Which doesn't mean I'm not question the US is completely fucked as well by the way.

>pizzagate
Lmao this nigga

>not believing in pizzagate

>pizzagate

>Ironically believing in pizzagate to troll losers on a Mongolian surfboarding chain letter

Veeky Forums is a Christian board.

>education brainwashes people more than no education at all.

you know it's jew

Yeah, medieval peasants were way less brainwashed :^)

Yeah, they probably were less brainwashed. I don't see your point.

youtube.com/watch?v=DFLbGCM8hvY

@iGeneration STOP. HAVING. CHILDREN.

It describes *chan users maybe, but I doubt every other person IRL is thinking "I'm going to kill them all. These faggots, these niggers, these nigger-faggots, these faggot-niggers" among other things.

>pizzagate

My Twisted World, unironically.

taking nu-socialmedia seriously

Anons are the first to complain about people getting "triggered" by nonissues,but they are the first to passively aggressively start threads because they got triggered about a non-issue themselves.

Any books about this?

>the average person unironically believes this

It may have started in the early 80's but post-modernism is eternal, this is it, the final stage of the human condition and we all have the privilege to see it from the very beginning. The Internet has frozen cultural development as everyone agrees we have enough culture already.

shes just letting you know she isnt worth the time, really helpful actually how this generation is so unabashedly shallow you can instantly see where someone stands, if theres something behind their eyes or not

They were not, their entire lives were based around much more ridiculous memes than we have now.

Those are all facts, buddy.

Nostalgic golden age faggotry has no basis in reality.

MAGA B U I L D T H E W A L L AMIRITE XD

ahahahahahahah

YOU MEAN CONTEMPORARY

Sorry but we've been in post post since the mid 90's

>The Internet has frozen cultural development
more like xlr8d

Not an argument

there's no modern human condition. the experience of being human is more or less the same in all times and places

>The Internet has frozen cultural development as everyone agrees we have enough culture already.
Who's everyone? I don't agree, and neither does my circle of patrician friends.

You may very well find the terms "patrician" and "plebeian" funny in the ironic, shitposting context of Veeky Forums, but it is no accident that these exact Roman Empire terms are what we the 4channers (i.e. a priori heavy users of the Internet) came up with to best differentiate between someone with little culture (pleb) and someone with lots of it (patrician), unambigously implying that the ascend from pleb to patrician, culturally-wise, is entirely in the hands of the individual-- when in fact throughout the bulk of history this lack of connection between socioeconomic status and amount of culture was not the case. I mean sure, if you were really lucky and you were living in a big city with a great PuBLIc library, congratz you've hit the jackpot, otherwise you can suck on those donkey dicks while cleaning their shit in the barn. No >tfw physical books smell better, no >tfw use my kobo to read books I got for free on libgen, just fucking SHIT IN THE BARN all day long, every day. LOTS OF shit.

But this all changed in literally just the past 20 years.

If you could see fit to possibly pick up a book written more than 20 years ago just for a moment maybe you'll tap into a healthier kind of zeitgeist, one that's been running on a larger scale, and of which 20 years are, AT FUCKING BEST, the increment in which the progress of culture is roughly gauged in relation to the previous 20 year increments

our guy tao lin

less than zero by bret easton ellis

>(((Epstein)))

Von rezzori - memoirs of an anti semite

>Words are no longer adequate for today’s reality, words are for awe, for beauty and veneration, for noble and refined feelings, for precise and differentiated thought, for minds sensitive like seismographs, for ears used to silence; today’s barbarians can’t cope with words, in their mouths words seem too big, they choke on them with too many pretentions; yet on the other hand they are too small, too narrow to hold the rapidly increasing, hybrid growth of their meaning: try to put the horror of a discothèque into words—a glimpse of a rock’n’roll-drunk teenager’s face does it; try to describe a concentration camp—how many thousand words would you need?—the photograph of a man hanging electrocuted in the barbed wire needs no comment; or try to explain the possibility of the various metamorphoses of a man’s character, the changes of his beliefs, convictions, points of view the while he feels no loss of identity—well, take his pictures as a boy, a young man, a grownup, a man shortly before and shortly after his midlife crises and have a close look at them, you’ll see it all there clear enough to give you goose bumps…

Macaulay - towers of trebizond

>You can say you would like to be a good writer, or painter, or architect, or swimmer, or carpenter, or cook, or actor, or climber, or talker, or even, I suppose, a good husband or wife, but not that you would like to be a good person, which is a desire you can only mention to a clergyman, whose shop it is, and who must not object or make dry answers like an unbribed oracle, but must listen and try to assist you in your vain ambition.

hell yes

>least violent
>most well-educated

where are you getting your evidence for this from?

oh my god. Thank you for this

My ass

INFINITE
JEST

Step up

user, quit pontificating like you have any bearing on the knowledge at which you deign to know. Your pseud opinions are tryhard and cringeworthy.

The existence of the Trump phenomenon essentially negates any claim that this 'era' had to any kind of intellectual superiority. Please neck yourself.

MY DIARY DESU

i'm fucking hilarious get on my level you pseuds

>deign
pseud detected

desu desu my desu diary desu desu

Samuel Beckett's How It Is

youtube.com/watch?v=W4B_25sPhdk&t

I agree with you. But I also think fear is a big reason people like trump are becoming elected.
Lack of emotional awareness/intelligence is causing people to not think "logically".

>implying the use of any one word indicates pseudointellectualism

I reject your intellectually meek worldview as women do you