How would one scientifically prove that there's no current flowing through this circuit?

How would one scientifically prove that there's no current flowing through this circuit?

I got into an argument with "that guy" who thinks that the universe doesn't exist when you're not looking at it. He also thinks it's plausible that a small amount of current could flow through this circuit, but attempting to measure how much would involve breaking the circuit and at the moment all the current would magically vanish.

the answer is litterally magnets

actually, throw a magnet through the loop and current will flow in it as long as the magnet is moving

you could measure it without breaking the circuit by using a clamp on ammeter

back to normiebook now please

wouldn't magnets slow down or at least apply a force on the current?

Ohm's law:
change in electric potential = current * resistance
V = IR
rearrange to solve for current:
I= V/R
There is no power supply, therefore the change in potential is 0. Starts at 0 volts, and by the time the circuit completes itself there is still 0 volts.

What you have shown in the picture is the equivalent of touching the ends of a copper wire together.

Also, why don't you just fucking prove it to him in person? get a DMM and an old power strip, cut into it so that the wire is exposed, and measure the current. I'll bet you an African silver nickel that it will read 0.00 Amps

>cut into it so that the wire is exposed, and measure the current.

Somebody skipped intro to electrons 101

The trick here is to not converse with people without any sense. I doubt any evidence no matter how thorough or elegant will prevent him from being stupid.

um

Pick some differential equations of the circuits, put a starting current different than 0, and a resistance R>0, and prove that the current tends to 0 as time passes.

If you had a superconducting wire, then there would be current.

There is no difference in electric potential therefore no electricity flows.

>He also thinks it's plausible that a small amount of current could flow through this circuit, but attempting to measure how much would involve breaking the circuit and at the moment all the current would magically vanish.

Measurement equipment is specifically designed to avoid this and be able to measure the system undisturbed.

These wires have resistance, if there is really current in them the resistance will make the current's energy transform into heat which is measurable

It totally forms a coil so you can measur the magnetic field it creates of current flow through it

Modern electrical instruments are extremely sensitive and you can make a measurement that doesn't interfere any more than the insulation would

It's not plugged in.

just don't talk to him.

>a small amount of current could flow through this circuit
Ask him why would current flow? And in which direction?

>How would one scientifically prove that there's no current flowing through this circuit?

There surely is.

thought i'd never get a chance to use this image again

I don't see how that would be of any relevance. Sure you could argue that a current of the order of 10^-100 A could have momentarily appeared on the system by induction caused by the change in magnetic field through the loop when some planet orbited around it's star on some random galaxy in the universe, but all that mental masturbation is USELESS, that would be like going on about how unicorns could have existed in parallel universes.
Tell your retarded friend to go kill himself.

Sorry if I wasn't super specific and 100% scientifically accurate for a question on Veeky Forums.

If there was a current in the loop, due to some inductance, it will be losing energy at a rate of I^2*R where R is the resistance of the loop. Energy in the inductor will be (1/2)*L*I^2. So, the current would quickly drop to essentially zero even if there was a current going through it to begin with.

amp clamp

Current requires a difference in an electric field within the wire. This requires an electro-motive force. Since the total charge across the wire is the same at all points, then no current will flow.
If you introduce a static charge to one of the sockets, then current may flow momentarily and then stop once the charge has dispersed.

except that each and every one of those posts is wrong

>be on Veeky Forums
>confuse electric potential with potential difference

>implying you can measure any system without disturbing it
Classical physics pls go