So what is your STEM job Veeky Forums? What is your average day like?

So what is your STEM job Veeky Forums? What is your average day like?

Bump

Aerospace engineer here

Mostly I sit in my cubicle and make important decisions using the power of high school algebra. I also write and edit reports.

It's good money, though, and everyone, including bosses and coworkers, treat you with a lot of respect

I cut grass, mostly. Basically, glorified yard work. Pays the bills, I guess.

It requires a very sophisticated piece of machinery called the lawn-mower and hedge trimmers, among other things.

Got accepted into ASU a couple years ago. Was gonna go for Planetary Science, but since I live in the lowest COL area in the country and our income here is very low, I didn't have the money to pursue college. And I refuse to do student loans. Scholarships wasn't enough to give me a full ride.

So, I cut grass.

>I refuse to do student loans.

>So what is your STEM job
RC synthesis
>What is your average day like?
Boring

Why would i want to be in debt for 30 years? I never understood why people do this, then bitch when they owe an arm and a leg later. A mortgage is already a 30 years debt, on top of car, etc.

Student loans are a fucking scam to further indebt people. Loan companies are not there to help you. They're there to make money. I loan what is necessary to live.

Also, if you are above the age of 25 and you still live at home, you're a lazy piece of shit anyways.

Just curious not umplying but why not work and go part time? Or work to subsidize the loans so you don't overdo it.

This whole unlimited unbacked loan system is a total sham but there is a way to not go overboard.

Kudos for doing the physical labor. Hope the honest money is enough to live comfortably.

Right now I'm an intern. I work for a consulting firm that focuses on failure analysis of various materials for various reasons. I get excel spreadsheets of thousands of data points and graph them using matlab. Then I email them back.

I'm the equivalent of an engineering file clerk

The thing about STEM and student loans is that STEM majors are actually practical for getting specific jobs and return their investment many times over. If you were going into liberal arts, psychology, or some other less specialized major, you'd be in the same job market as many other majors, you get market forces acting on your job, less pay, et cetera, and the majority of people who get student loans can't get out the way STEM majors can.

Make no mistake, you'd still be in a mountain of debt, but you also gained specialized working knowledge to eventually wade past it. If you were in that swamp for, say, a gender studies major, then you'd really be fucked, which is how a lot of people are these days, so you hear about a lot of nightmare stories.

PhD candidate in ECE

Today I slept till 3pm and now I'm going to the gym. I only really work MWF

I am a new grad student in applied math. I TA a statistics class and in the summer i will be doing my first big research (assuming my funding is approved.) for this i get paid about $20 an hour for working/researching.

normal day:
>get up around 7am
>breakfast, shower
>dick around until i go to class or work around 9am
>classes/work until late afternoon, exact time depends on day of the week
>get home around 6pm to 8pm
>read/study/assignments until midnight

meals are scattered in there. i usually eat lunch during class since i don't much free time during the day. i eat dinner when I'm working in the evening. my university is in the mountains, so i go hiking on weekends with my girlfriend (another math student) when i can

Forensic Tech. Not very "scientific", but eventually I want to be a forensic scientist with the state crime lab. Either crime scene response or toxicology. It's not novel or anything so all you fags will probably "huur duur not science", but whatever.

I currently assist forensic pathologists with the conduction of forensic autopsies and collect medically relevant evidence at death scenes along with the body. Current degree is a B.S in Biology.

That's pretty cool

Go to grad school or something

Get fellowships from govt agencies like fbi or some shit. you could probably get funding

Computer engineer. I work for a small company that specializes in getting old industrial and building automation equipment connected to modern control networks. Random cold war era technology shows up on my desk. It's often impossible to find any documentation on it. I've got to reverse engineer it; figure out how to control it, then design any necessary circuits and programs. I've got a lot more electronics and firmware experience than anyone else so I get the fun jobs. I'm also sent on trips a few times a year because some stuff can't be shipped to me or technicians need help installing my stuff.

>Graduating with masters in materials in 3 weeks
>No job lined up
>23 applications out
>1 rejection
>1 interview that went silent after
>21 with zero response of any kind

This is bullshit.

>fell for the materials meme
shouldve done mining

Biology lab assistant
I clean dishes for 8.25 an hour.

>Taking a combined math/physics degree

That's basically it so far. Had a job tutoring brainlets for a while. Quit because the brainlets live so far away it effectively halved my hourly wage.

Reevaluate your applications.There are major errors inside, thats the only reason you get such low responses.
If you can afford it, consider additonal education like welding engineering or adhesive engineering. First one is for metals and second one for plastics.The courses are not cheap though, in Europe they cost about 7,5k euros, but also gradually improve your job chances.

Project designer. I get architectural plans and figure out how to provide electricity for everything, plan out installation materials etc. It's a lot of work. I have the most fun with calculating optimal light emission for each room.

Undergrad RA for an optometry lab.
Mostly I
>Dick around in Excel
>Make graphs in SigmaPlot
>Work on a project in Python

With more focus on the python project right now. I'm having a hard time with it cause I need to code an equation for variance that isn't overly popular, and the only info I can find on it is whatever the guy who found it has online. And that's loaded with bullshit notation. Add that to my lack of a stats course, and shits fucked.