/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Subtlety of a Sledgehammer Edition
>What are you reading?
>How do you like it so far?
>Which books in your opinion wasn't subtle enough in getting across a point?
>Which books in your opinion didn't even care about subtlety and was just heavy fisted with everything?

Fantasy
>Selected:
>i.imgur.com/qkz73sR.jpg
>General:
>i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
>Flowchart:
>i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg
>Beginner's Guide to Fantasy:
>i.imgur.com/fOGNfWK.jpg

Science Fiction
>Selected:
>i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
>General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Female authors a shit.

>rational anarchism, the book

I like Ann Leckie and you can't fucking change that.

So does GRRM masturbate to his writing?

(You)

>missing an opportunity to shill the Big Steve's latest masterpiece

>(You)
(You)

>look mom i posted it again

Can someone recommend me novels similar to Rendevouz with Rama or Blindsight?

Something where the exploration and mystery are main beef of the novel instead of character drama.

Please, don't recommend anything by Stephen Baxter, he has some kind of fetish on including badly written love stories and sex scenes in his novels.

Dude, if you're going to defend female authors at least defend Kage Baker or Leigh Brackett or someone good like that.

>I have never heard of libertarianism

>>What are you reading?
i, robot by Isaac Asimov
>>How do you like it so far?
It's very dated, I feel like from the first 3 short stories Asimov's prose and the concepts within it aren't all that
I realize it's mostly because he's like THE progenitor for these types of concepts and I like it for that reason but man

I loved Reason though, got me thinking about how easy that'd be to make into a sci-fi horror

I know right. This is a thread about unrealistic fantasies. How has he not heard of it?

I think he has a dragon dildo which he rides when writing the Dany chapters, this is why he's taking so long to write. Afterwards he has to edit down and rewrite his lewdfics into something sellable.

t. Buttblasted feminist

guys, I own Rule 34 by Charles Stross. Should I read Halting State before I read Rule 34?

This is a thread about REALISTIC fantasies. We're not exactly discussing magical realism here. Libertarianism is popular because as a fantasy it is so compelling. Harsh Mistress and Dispossessed are very similar in how they evoke feelings in teenaged readers of, "hey, this could actually work," before they've learned enough to know that actually the books are showing about how contrived the scenarios for their particular freetopias have to be. They are both about how left- and right-libertarianism literally have to be on the moon.

cj cherryh is GOAT

Fuck off libshit cuckold

Just kidding :^)

I want more pulpy series like barsoom, deathworld, stainless steel rat and so on. Anyone have recommendations?

What are her best books?

my intro was Merovingen Nights, which is honestly tinged with more nostalgia than anything but the concept of docks and ladders as sort of like, intergalactic swashbuckling with revolvers (think treasure planet precursor? without the interstellar travelling), anyways, i thought it was the coolest at the time

but as for real recommendations, gate of ivrel, chanur, cyteen, the deep beyond, the faded sun trilogy, and her short story anthologies (sunfall/cassandra are the only i've read)

bit of an over-response but i really enjoy her flexible sort of realism, where the research is clear but there's still that fondness of tropes. space opera+ bildungsroman, prokovief style

A L F R E D B E S T E R

Start with The Demolished Man. It reads fast, like a hardboiled cyberpunk novel, a murderous CEO protag and telepathic police in an age of megacorps.

Is the To Kill a God book any good?

No

Yes

Maybe but don't trust the shills.

No it's shit and that fucker keeps shilling it.

Anyone looking forward to Powder Mage: Frontier America? I'm cautiously optimistic.

>The young nation of Fatrasta is a turbulent place — a frontier destination for criminals, fortune-hunters, brave settlers, and sorcerers seeking relics of the past. Only the iron will of the lady chancellor and her secret police holds the capital city of Landfall together against the unrest of an oppressed population and the machinations of powerful empires.

>The insurrection that threatens Landfall must be purged with guile and force, a task which falls on the shoulders of a spy named Michel Bravis, convicted war hero Mad Ben Styke, and Lady Vlora Flint, a mercenary general with a past as turbulent as Landfall’s present.

>As loyalties are tested, revealed, and destroyed, a grim specter as old as time has been unearthed in this wild land, and the people of Landfall will soon discover that rebellion is the least of their worries.

>lady chancellor
hopefully the Irish Indian Old Ones will be worth it

Read Echopraxia if you haven't already, it's as good as BS but a little hard to swallow sometimes. First contact at the oppossite end of the spectrum, in more ways than one

>Stevian Heartbound
That's the most fedora name I've ever heard

Solaris maybe

>The insurrection that threatens Landfall must be purged with guile and force
This sounds like a good piece to make a powder mage spurdo with

>tight pussy
jesus christ I wish I could gain the hours of my life back that I wasted reading those chapters

I was kinda mad. I thought it was a plot point.
I thought murder sharp drafted parryl and made her pussy muscles contract so as to hinder kip from sealing the marriage and plunge them into war.

I then thought that maybe tsis' homeland did something to young girls(like how some African countries stitch up the pussy so there is no premarital sex) to make sure they don't sleep out of wedlock (at least with the pussy). The women are told how to decontract the muscles if the wedding is legal. I thought that is why the female servant was there, but nope.

Weeks just wanted to sample someone with supertight pussy syndrome, so he wrote an entire book about her condition so her panties would be greased more easily. Fucking hell.

if I was kip I would have fucked the old servant, but I'm a dirty pervert

Is fucking a girl who gave your ___father a handy not perverted enough?

You know ____andross____ would have knocked down her backdoor if the pussy wasn't going to give it up. He seems like a buggering type.

these days anything attached to his name or that of the series sells like hotcakes. He could publish a logbook of his farts and it would sell more than the entirety of Veeky Forums's "published authors"

>He could publish a logbook of his farts
It was titled "A Dance with Dragons" I believe.

I didn't very much like that book but now I compare it with the clusterfuck that is the tv series and it starts to look like fuckin Shakespeare.

>and it starts to look like fuckin Shakespeare
Plebeian as fuck? Dickjoke overload?

He's not easily deterred to say the least

So we have to wait another 2 years for the final book? Or was the last book so big he had to split it and we will get a book next year?

Can one of you people explain to me why you like SciFi and Fantasy? To me, at least, it seems like the dullest genres ever to grace literature, with the same amount of substance as an airport novel.

It seems like he is milking it for as long as possible, there is no known publication date.
Fuck Weeks.

>Kaladin marked it as to-read
>Wow!!! What a surprise!! Thank you. I don't want it to end. Hopping for a 6th and more besides.
>flag2 likes · Like · see review

People like this need to be shot.

I can only speak for myself, but I like the fact that it explores -what ifs-. The possibilities, and the impossibilities.

Plus, a good SFF author can use these themes to say something meaningful about the human condition.

Sadly, there's a shitload of trash and a few gems, which leads to the awful reputation of the genre as a whole. Still I wouldn't say it's completely devoid of substance, quite the opposite in fact.

A genre by itself can never be dull, only writers can. It sounds like you read one or two bad SFF books and now think all are the same. And for me personally there is more interesting SFF than in the "literature" world, especially in the 21st century. I've kind of given up on trying to find a good fiction writer since apparently only the (to me) bad ones get published/popular and I can't be arsed to read a bunch of noname landmines to find something good.

fucking Kaladin, always stirring up shit.

Then you've read shit books / your head is so up your ass that you can't enjoy anything fun.

You sound like those trust fund babbies who unironically ask why someone would go and do some recreation instead of socializing at some dinner function.
And I'm being serious here.

The fantasy "genre" is pretty much entirely made up of garbage post Tolkien, read Morris, MacDonald, Lord Dunsany, Eddison and Tolkien among others for the actual good stuff.

>Announced 11th May 2016, the ever-more ironically titled Lightbringer Trilogy will no longer finish with The Blood Mirror, but will instead have a fifth book.

>No publication date is available and the author has quite rightly stated that he won't make any promises, so do not update this entry with a publication date until it is announced (and when it is, modify this description and leave a librarian note!)

Merry Christmas my old friend.

It's funny because of all the books in your pic, only Conan came out BEFORE Tolkien, so you and your "sworn enemy" are actually in agreement about Lieber, Wolfe, Miller, Vance and Peake being garbage.

Which makes you both pleb, to be sure. I just wanted to know how do you feel, knowing that you have become what you so desperately fought. Nietszche warned you, my friend.

Howard you are dead, go back to your eternal cyclopic and indescribable sleep.

Can someone explain the tight pussy meme

Read blood mirror

I don't read Sanderson adjacent authors.

Amen

>meaningful about the human condition.

>the actual good stuff.

You fucking philosophy majors make me sick. Just because you wasted many years and tens of thousands of dollars on literally nothing you feel your words actually mean something / is worth listening to.

the world needs less of your kind. kys

>knowing that you have become what you so desperately fought
Feels good man. Nothing like being a degenerate.

Is it just me, or does any one here find female character PoV to be completely dreadful no matter how good the character is?

And no I Have nothing against women

>adjacent
Brent Weeks is GRI
Sanderson is married sex in the missionary position, in the dead of night, with all the lights turned off, and the woman not making a sound. Then pretending like nothing happened in the morning.

>let me post it one more time
are you even trying with this low quality bait

It's not just you, man

Unironically this desu. I actually majored in philosophy too. Now that I live in an apartment and work like a regular person I like to read SFF for fun. I dont give a shit about the "human condition" and that's not what SFF is for anyway.

Probably just a problem in relating with female characters, then. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, it's just who you are.

I wonder if a meme can be made of this...
What about a fireplace that is named philosophy major, there is cash burning in it, and somebody is going to hang themselves? That would work?
How do i fit in the sffg though...

It's just you, but a legitimate complaint about female POVs is that authors feel they must be 21st century women trapped in an archaic period woke about their oppression and successful (usually in some direct, physical way, e.g. with violence) at overturning it so that the world can be as it's 'supposed to' (i.e. 21st century western views on gender).

This makes female POVs confined to a specific ideology in a way male POVs aren't, and creates a paradox where every system of oppression has to simultaneously be all-pervasive and stifling, yet weak enough for any single character to topple it or prove it wrong with her sheer individual skill.

Meanwhile men are still allowed to be or do whatever they want.

It's hilarious when you're reading a full medieval setting series and the word rape doesn't appear once.

Any female protagonists that aren't the typical stronk woman bullshit?

Try Orphans of Chaos.

AHAHAHHA

Bellis Coldwine

>recommending non-Golden Age Wright

Yeah

You came into this thread not to ask recs, not to be convinced, but to shitpost about how you are so superior and read better stuff. Your mind is already made up about this, therefore you should fuck off.

Brandon Sanderson is the Zack Snyder of fantasy. Yes or No?

>creates a paradox where every system of oppression has to simultaneously be all-pervasive and stifling, yet weak enough for any single character to topple it or prove it wrong with her sheer individual skill.
>
>Meanwhile men are still allowed to be or do whatever they want.

Damn well put.

No, he's more like the Nolan of fantasy : he made something imaginative but also accessible for the normies, and got shit from pseuds and pretentious "patricians" for it, because god forbid anyone ever read for fun.

But the guy you are replying to was shitting on the retard saying everything post Tolkien is shit. The original post chain starter should fuck off back to outer Veeky Forums though.

>Mormons
>fun
Pick one

I don't know what you're on about, Way Of Kings is tons of fun. Sanderson keeps the Mormon shit to himself.

He's getting better. I remember bursting out laughing when I realized why the crew was drinking juice in the Well of Ascension.

It's true that both Sanderson and Nolan get shit for not being deep enough, I think the Stormlight Archive is closer to 300 than to Inception though.

Any must-read western stuff?

I'm writing fantasy in a western-ish setting with crazy magic and a somewhat lovecraftian tone to it, but despite it all I still want the aesthetic to be unmistakably western without adding saloons every third step.

I've been thinking to read Sanderson's other Mistborn books (I loved the first 3) so is it any good place to start get a feel for it?

sff is mostly bad, but when it's good it's actually VERY FUCKING GOOD.

>but when it's good it's actually VERY FUCKING GOOD.
like?

Book of the New Sun right off the top of my head without thinking 5 seconds. Tolkien as a whole is a low-hanging fruit so I'm not going there. Rendezvous with Rama surprised me in a good way. Also GRRM's short stories fite me fgt

>GRRM's short stories

Sankings was great.

>Book of the New Sun
stopped reading

good, now fuck right off mate if you already have a strong opinion on the subject.

Warlock by Oakley Hall is a pretty cool read.

Iron Council has some decent train stuff, though it's a bit stretched-out

The Dark Tower by King is a must if you like westerns.

>You came into this thread
I always lurk in this thread I'm just fed up of these philosophy majors swinging their dicks around and spewing shit everywhere.

>Your mind is already made up about this
I read whatever, but did you read the posts I responded to or are you just shitposting?

I thought the second Mistborn books were a huge step down from the originals.

>implying the originals were good

Kek, The only good book in the Mistborn series was the 1st.

She was a good author when she tried to be a man.

Rape is a modern phenomenon. Ravishment is what you're looking for, and it was much more welcome.