Want to get into sous-vide cooking

>want to get into sous-vide cooking
>a single machine costs like 600-700 euros in my country

wew lad

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>heating element
>digital thermometer
>microcontroller
>optoelectrical relay
>maybe a waterproof motor to circulate water
>power supply

This is like 50 euros tops, user

Buy a thermo probe and slow cook things in your oven at 225 to the desired internal temp. Then sear. Its better than meme vide because the outer layer dries a bit and sears better. If you really still have to have cancer you can even stick your food in a plastic bag before throwing it in the oven.

nigga, like, just buy a fucking pressure cooker and some bags, lmao nigga

amazon "docooler temperature controller" and check the reviews, there will be a basic schematic for how to wire it up to a hot plate or slow cooker. If you have the slow cooker and an extension cord already then your total cost will be $16

just check yourself into a hospital for a few days to discover the "joys" of sous vide cooking

we all know you just want to make omelettes and meme meat, this is achieved with normal 100°C water in a saucepan

The thermo + pan method isn't nearly as consistent, and you run the risk of melting the bag at the bottom of the pan—and that's if you're hovering over the damn thing the whole time.

The whole point of sous vide is basically carefree exactness. Just like an IH rice cooker; you don't really need it to cook rice, but it makes shit so much easier, and you can cook the food ahead of time, while you prepare everything else, and not worry about it.

That said, OP, look into the Anova (1 or 2), or ChefSteps' "Joule", and see what the prices are. I'm not sure if the latter is available yet in Europe, but worth looking into.

It's consistent enough, assuming you use a large pan of water (large amount of water = high thermal mass = less susceptible to temperature swings)

Worrying about the bag melting is easily solved by using clothespins or a binder clip to suspend your bagged food in the pot. I stick a wooden spoon across the pot and then hang the bag from it.

>>The whole point of sous vide is basically carefree exactness
No, it's not "carefree", it's exactness only. You still need to remove the food from the SV bath at the correct time.

You're certainly correct that a special device for this purpose is easier than using a pot of water and a thermometer, but that latter method works fine, and makes a lot of sense for a beginner looking to experiment.

I think seriouseats.com has an article on turning a beer cooler into a sous-vide thing.

all you need to do, is fill it up with hot water every now and then to keep the temperature accurate.

seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Stop being poor.

wut
plastic has BPA which is a xenoestrogen, that's not gonna cause cancer just give you tits
searing meat though creates polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heterocyclic amines and acrylamide, all of which are carcinogenic
searing meat also tastes really good and sous vide without searing tastes like shit

Most plastic bags that you're going to use claim to be BPA free. But that doesn't mean they're free of xenoestrogens. That said, BPA is probably one of the worst, if not the worst.

>immersion coils with built in thermometers cost €500+

Wew intensifies.

Isn't it just a souped up fish tank heater?

Do you go to the supermarket and try and haggle everything to their production cost? In fact that's not even production, that's just materials.

That's just barbeque, user

I'm not sure where this guy lives, but they cost like $100 in the US. He must live in some mud hut country.

Can't you just rig up a slow cooker with an external thermostat?

He used €, so he's automatically third world.

>want to get into sous-vide cooking

Why?

>he can't /diy/

lol

>USA is the country I was born in so therefore it is the best country in the world

Americans really are the ostriches of the world.

>Americans really are the ostriches of the world.

At least Americans are smart enough to know that ostriches are the actual ostrich of the world.

Those immersion things cost 100-120€ here in Germany, in the middle of Europe. No idea where OP lives.

>not buying that one sous-vide cooker that gives you a tf2 promo item