Is there any Stephen King book that you actually think are good or find entertaining?

Is there any Stephen King book that you actually think are good or find entertaining?

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/currentstudents/undergraduate/modules/fulllist/special/en304/syllabus2015-16/king_the_raft.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, m8, Different Seasons is unironically good.

that one with the cum that smelt like pennies sounds alright. I've never read King though, so zi wouldn't know.

try harder

It and The Long Walk. Not masterpieces, but good enough, for sure.

Most are shit.

The Shining is readable though

Cujo, Different Seasons, Misery

I've read Cell and and it was pretty good

Only King I've read is The Shining and it was seriously bland, but there are a few of his books that sound legitimately good and intriguing: Misery, The Long Walk, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Salem's Lot and Different Seasons are all on my to read list.

Christine; one of those books where I can enjoy the read and admire the skill without them interfering with each other

The 1st and 4th Dark Tower books are relatively self contained and easily among his best work.

The Long Walk has been mentioned but I think Road Work is the superior Bachmann book and if you can find an older printing that includes Rage you should snap it up, those are 4 solid stories.

Shining is good
The Mist is very entertaining
CELL is good, the movie was horrible though, which is a shame, because making a movie or mini-series on the book has so much potential
I like Misery but I haven't finished it yet

Skeleton Crew, which has lots of short stories is very entertaining. My favorites are The Jaunt and Beachworld.

I have Cujo, haven't finished it yet, like it so far.

Four Past Midnight is decent, the stories are mostly mediocre but they do entertain and fuels the imagination.

1408 is somewhat entertaining, but the movie is miles better.

11/22/63 is actually good, but it's so long that it's probably not worth it, and definitely not worth it considering you could be reading real books.

but yeah people even say it doesnt read like his other books. i read Mr. mercedes after and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

tried salems lot at one point and it could have been good but the first 100 pages were too boring to continue

i second this. 11/22/63 references It, and is in the same setting for a while. The Long Walk is just a cool idea.

What King needs is a tough editor.

Pet Sematary is actually pretty great because it's inarguably the most atmospheric and unnerving of his novels.

You are right, I forgot to mention it.

The short story collections are good, and I do enjoy the first 3/4 of most of his novels. He seems to have a problem with wrapping things up properly.

The Gunslinger is a pretty good book, honestly.

dropped the second one though

For an author nobody likes Stephen King gets quite many threads in Veeky Forums.

At any rate the Long Walk and Different Seasons are the best in my opinion.

I enjoyed Misery.

'Salem's Lot is good.

Seconding Skeleton Key, it was my first King book and started a long period where he was pretty much all I read in middle school. Jaunt, Beachworld, Survivor Type, and Ballad of the Flexible Bullet are all good stories.

Otherwise It, Misery, The Rage, and 1922 are some of my favorites. Granted I haven't read much of him in a long time, but I definitely enjoyed these at the time.

I'm also someone who read fuck tonnes of king in high school, so my memory can't be trusted, but I liked 'dream catcher'

Skeleton Crew, not Key

I quite enjoyed Desperation, with one character's spiritual conversion being a particularly interesting element.

Add me to the list of Pet Semetary fans -- it's the best of his books that I've read. In addition to being quite often genuinely scary/creepifying, it's really quite a powerful work (the kite-flying scene where the protagonist ponders his life in a kind of ecstatic despair comes to mind), and the ending in particular really packs a wallop.

Salem's Lot was sheer, transporting magic for me reading it in high school, but the magic largely faded re-reading it some ten years down the road.

I think at certain times he's found a narrative voice that allows him to weave his storytelling spell with peculiar, special power. The Green Mile and Misery (or at least parts of them, especially near the beginning) come to mind as examples of this.

If you've never read it, his short story "The Raft" is, I think, one of his most striking and powerful stories. Real horrow show.

It's online here: www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/currentstudents/undergraduate/modules/fulllist/special/en304/syllabus2015-16/king_the_raft.pdf

IT and The Stand. Though, i'm a sucker for King. He was the first author to get me interested in reading when I was young.

Me too, but I read the stand recently and fucking despised it. My least favourite king book. So many things pissed me off about it.

Can you list some and why?

I found Salem's Lot to be fantastic, although really slow at times.

A friend of mine bought me Gerald's Game when for my birthday and it's the only book of his that I've really given a chance to read other than On Writing which is a good book. I liked Gerald's Game and it's probably good since it's so polarizing.

-Mostly the ending.
-I thought some of the main characters were fleshed out well but others like Stu were just Mr. Man.
-The whole time I was wondering if it was really just a god vs devil thing. It basically was.
-Then there were random deaths of characters. Deaths that didn't seem to serve any purpose and amounted to nothing.
-Lots of pissing around in the town that amounted to nothing.
-Then nothing mattered and FUCK THAT ENDING.
-Just fuck the whole thing, everything to do with mother abigail and visions. It all added up to nothing for me.

I enjoyed the start but it went to shit for me once the dreams started.

I recommend 'The Earth Abides' by George R Stewart for your 'everyone is dead' needs. That is a beautiful book.

Some of the books he wrote with the pen name Richard Bachman are pretty gud.

Here are a few:
The Long Walk
Roadwork
The Running Man
Thinner

The Long Walk is his best out of what I've read so far. The Stand is good so far, I'm reading it now.
I also enjoyed Gerald's Game and The Dark Half, Salem's Lot wasn't bad either.

Dead Zone
Hearts in Atlantis
Firestarter

The last stand, It and the Dark Tower are enterteining.

Insomnia is very sci-fi philophical lol, closely related to TDT.

Bag of Bones is GOAT though. Comfy, supernatural shit is almost unexistant, and the story is depressing and entertaining.

He has many others that are pretty decent if you're looking for a good book to spend a couple nights.

I enjoyed all of the books he wrote and I read quite a few. However, none are deep or have any literary value. They just pander to my tastes.