If I found out that his works were being taught in my local public high school, how would I go about stopping this...

If I found out that his works were being taught in my local public high school, how would I go about stopping this? I fear it's a bigger problem than most of us realize.

Care to elaborate? I know extremely little about John Green except that he published some book about cancer and normie history videos

get a grip

He has an extremely biased youtube "educational" channel called crash course where he goes over different subjects. All of his videos are not made by him and are actually scripted by some high school teacher and his books are crappy and made to appeal to the "misunderstood" teenagers.

is it true to believe that reading fluff is better than nothing at all? Is it more productive to build a lego set than read John Green?

>be half of Veeky Forums populace
>bash John Green
>never read one of his books

I am not saying you're wrong, just that he is a best-seller for some reason; if you were trying to get published I'd pay attention to the moves he makes.

Some of us choose not to be sellout perverts.

sauce your facts, /b/ro

One can never read too little of bad, or too much of good books: bad books are intellectual poison; they destroy the mind.

In order to read what is good one must make it a condition never to read what is bad; for life is short, and both time and strength limited.

Anyone who's ever read Looking for Alaska knows he's a pervert. And he's a sellout, because he actually does seem like a smart guy, and he's read many of the all time classics, so he must know how bad his own writing is.

SHUT UPPPP

Meant for Is that Hemingway? Sounds like a line from Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris.

>Is that Hemingway
I think it's the Schope.

I am not saying he isn't, he IS a sellout. I am just saying that anons-alike all fall for the memes and haven't read his stuff.

>books made to help teenagers feel better about themselves and grow as people being read by teenagers
b-but Trump-senpai promised to make America great again!

It's not because it distorts your perception of what a book should be.

>tfw I left school at the age of 15 and was reading Joyce at the time

Fucking plebs still think education is of any worth!

>grow as people
His books teach you to be emotionally stunted and to pine over girls you'll never have.

I would not care

>grow as people

top jej

I take it you never actually read any of his books.

I read Looking For Alaska because I felt guilty about this. It was not very good.

I've actually been meaning to do the same thing for the same reason.

His work is shit, but can it be more shit than the average high school teachings?

And you have read his books?
I read the Wikipedia plot for Looking for Alaska, and The Fault in our Stars.
The general message of both of those seemed to be, self reliance without rejecting others, and the importance of accepting and growing from bad experiences.
Again, I haven't read anything by him.
I wouldn't think so. If they have any kind of merit and kids want to read them, probably more likley to want to read his books, they can be used to teach.
>implying high school teachers can teach books well

>I read the Wikipedia plot for Looking for Alaska, and The Fault in our Stars.

Honestly if this is how low the bar has to be to get kids into reading then so be it. Back when i was in high school i knew maybe 5 kids other than myself who actually read the books instead of the cliff notes, and every single book I've re-read that i had previously been assigned I gained a much deeper appreciation of
The problem is twofold, that something like half of all adults haven't read a book since they finished school, and that 11th graders aren't going to get shit out of The Sound and the Fury. At least this sort of shit might fix one of these

They can teach his shitty novels if they want, it's no worse than the white guilt trash they teach everywhere else

>muh slavery
>muh indians
>muh holocaust

just don't use his youtube videos for anything because they are terrible

It's fucking Quentin...

>offers no actual insight

1) Paper Towns
2) Abundance of Katherine's
3) TFIOS
4) Looking for Alaska

they aren't good but