Hay Veeky Forums what do you think of great expectations

Hay Veeky Forums what do you think of great expectations

Other urls found in this thread:

victorianweb.org/gender/reviews/lee.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was disappointed.

Read for the first time this year liked it way more than I thought I would. It was hilarious in places sad at others and gripping throughout. Definitely a book I would recommend to others. Are his other works as good as this

Haven't read it but I have great expectations for it.

Only saw the South Park version, but I guess that one's pretty accurate.

holy fuck this episode was funny

Currently reading. So far I like it better than David Copperfield due to the fact that Pip is not so unbearably naive as David was.

it was ok

yes definitely.
Charles Dickens is unfairly assumed to be boring and stale for some reason unknown to me.
for example, a Christmas Carol is very witty and facetious throughout - something which is not portrayed at all in any of the adaptations.
a tale of two cities also has the same entertaining prose but with a more grim story and theme underlying it all. there's a character, sydney carton, who is deeply developed/explored and I feel he's very similar to a lot of people unfortunate enough to be on Veeky Forums.

great book. there are times when it's easy to tell it was a serialization, but the characters are brilliant and the plot and writing etc. etc. its great don't believe everyone

holy shit my dude. read it out loud on a road trip. one of the best car trips i have ever had. wildly entertaining language, wildly entertaining tv-level-addictive plot, so full of symmetries and supersymmetries that your little brain can gnaw on and enjoy long after your first reading is over

that said bleak house is better tho. best plot twist ending ever a++

It's a good book and the first Dickens I've read ( I had to read it over the summer for school). I watched a movie adaptation first tho and probably helped me finish it because I suck at reading.

I think it's shit. I also never liked Dickens in general and had to read it for class freshman year of high school so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Why, did you go into it with

great expectations?

I like the first part of the story quite a bit through to the end of his childhood, and am less fond of the narrative as it continues through his young adulthood. The first part weaves a sweet spell of language and is filled with constant narrative invention, delightful scenes, and some of the most vividly realized characters in all of Dickens.

Of great interest to me was learning of the very strong influence Frederick Douglass's _Narrative_ had on GE, as discussed persuasively (and I think irrefutably) in Ying S. Lee's (horribly titled but well-written and very engaging) _Masculinity and the English Working Class: Studies in Victorian Autobiography and Fiction_ (2007).

This review sketches the book's premise: victorianweb.org/gender/reviews/lee.html

South Park is an unfunny show made by two white millionaires for low IQ suburban teenage boys.

Uhhhh. Racist and sexist much???

White elites are responsible for every significant artistic achievement in all of history

>Of great interest to me was learning of the very strong influence Frederick Douglass's _Narrative_ had on GE, as discussed persuasively (and I think irrefutably) in Ying S. Lee's (horribly titled but well-written and very engaging) _Masculinity and the English Working Class: Studies in Victorian Autobiography and Fiction_ (2007).
What I read in that review you posted says little to nothing specifically of Douglass's Narrative influence on GE and features some extremely iffy and completely unfalsifiable evidence. Apparently the "fugitive slave chronotrope" is so vague and abstract that it covers "experiences of suffering and violence, of familial and natal alienation, of unfreedom and terror"? These are experiences present in Dickens's own personal, non-enslaved life. Even the reviewer says she overstates the slave narrative's influence.

It did not live up to expectations.

I haven't read Davin Copperfield yet but one of the reasons that I liked G.E. so much was that, if you pay attention, Pip's understanding of the world around him changes as he grows from a child to a young man. Even though the whole book is narrated retrospectively, the narration seems consistent with his age.

Also Estella's a cold bitch