I recently noticed that even the writers known as introverts such as Kafka, Proust, Faulkner etc...

I recently noticed that even the writers known as introverts such as Kafka, Proust, Faulkner etc. had lots of friends and social interaction and basically met new people all the time. After this realization it became more apparent to me why all my writings circle about my own character and memories which, regardless of style and construction, will just bore people. I'm reading Rilke at the moment and he advises aspiring poets to reach into their deepest inner feelings. But isolating myself emotionally just makes my writing a dizzying, mind-numbing exercise. I guess there's no passion without empathy. Basically, how does anyone make interesting friends? Where does real inspiration come from? Would be really interesting to know if anyone on here has made any experience with this kind of problem, /r9k/ virgins please don't apply.

Go back to /r9k/, you autistic anime-watching friendless loser

/thread

>read ardiente paciencia/watch il postino
>become/befriend postman in fundamental misunderstanding of the text
>???
>profit

>/r9k/ virgins please don't apply
To be fair, virgins from /r9k/ probably have the most experience with what you're discussing.

Anyways, having an interesting life helps with writing interesting books and being empathetic, as you've said. I would say talking to people regularly is practically a necessity for empathy, but I can imagine a hermit writing interesting books, particularly if they draw from history.

Anyways, most people will be excruciatingly miserable if they're alone all the time. Don't expect to be a famous author, assume you won't be, but don't live such an unhappy life.

/thread

>not feeling empathy towards people
I bet you fancy yourself an artist

i like that movie too.

i wish i knew the answe to your question. i have a couple of friends, but i only met them because we all smoke cigarettes. maybe start smoking if youre in college.

>making Veeky Forums friends
nah. Either they're ladder-climbing college "artist" psueds or just hide their autism. All social interaction nowadays is predicated on hiding something. Nobody wants to be seen as weird so everyone tries to act similar. In this way you don't have much room for genuine connection and you'll just go out with your friends and shoot the shit.

>'robots'
>people

Nice meme

>this is a person who calls people hateful for posting le happy merchant
never change, redditcucks

>Either they're ladder-climbing college "artist" psueds
I think "creative types" annoy me more than any other typology.

Smoking pot has allowed me to meet people. So that

I asked this question precisely because I'm not a shut-in sperglord but because I find it genuinely hard to write an interesting character if I've never particularly managed to surround myself with people that feel inspiring to be around.

Very weird, my circle of friends also did nothing but smoke cigarettes before people started going their own separate ways.
You may be right, but I want to believe that, if you really try, there's some real inspiration in trying to understand someone.

A person doesn't have to be inspiring to be complex or interesting.

Faulkner, for example, wrote about common people and revealed their personal complexity and tragedy through wonderful prose and style. Heck, one of the point-of-view characters in The Sound and the Fury is literally retarded.

It's more about finding beauty and complexity in every human, because every human is complex and beautiful, even if you haven't realized it yet. Try to find empathy in the people around them and find a way to portray their persona struggle onto paper. Even if you are surrounded by nothing but pseuds, A Confederacy of Dunces is a masterpiece on those very people.

Cheers.

fpbp

Just remember all the times you haven't been you, and write them down from your perspective as not-you. You can hang out with and talk to other people, but it will never be as good as just saying "fuck it" and *becoming them.*

>criticizing robots is bigotry

>people without friends are worthless and I don't want to associate with them
>not playground level meanness

Go jerk off to your 'waifu' and play 'vidya' by yourself, robot scum

You're browsing Veeky Forums right now. Nothing is less productive.

this is a shitty post, OP's was a completely legitimate question

if unfunny shitposting of the form ">implyign; lol you are a loser and you are stupid you big dummy please respond" wasn't consistently rewarded with hivemind validation, maybe this board wouldn't consistently suck

This, pretty much. The world simply isn't what it used to be. Many writers and philosophers would encourage people to talk to as many people as possible to learn/enjoy life. Kierkegaard even went out of his way to talk to anyone on his daily walks. Nowadays people would think you were a creep. This is of course more western society.