Hey, Veeky Forums. Herb general

Hey, Veeky Forums. Herb general.

What are you eating, cooking with, growing, smoking, or brewing with?

Other urls found in this thread:

kitchennostalgia.com/soups/lentil-stew-with-dumplings.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sage is so underrated it's ridiculous.

If any of you faglords grow your own I'd like some tips, every other thing I've ever grown in my garden grew massively except sage and I need more of its deliciousness.

You cut me deep, user. You cut me real deep just now.

sage, rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, dill, coriander,.. for starters
But I use a lot more because I'm quite versed with herbal teas and remedies.

browned butter/ tasty vegetable oil, sage +lime/lemon = perfecly nice dressing for pasta

Really wanna try experimenting with subtle floral flavors this summer. Lavender, rose, hibiscus. I fucking hate vanilla so I'm looking for a neutral alternative

I dislike roseflavour. They are just overpowering. Tea made from lavender is nice and helps to relieve stress, aids sleep and there are a lot more benefits. It's also nice against moths and similar pests.

dude weed lmao

I don*t think it's a good idea to substitute vanilla with weed.
Then again....

Trying to grow some basil, rosemary, savory, marjoram, thyme, parsley, chives, dill, cilantro, oregano and thyme from seed. No idea what I'm doing tbqh but most of them have germinated at least.

shiso is also a good plant for growing from seed

>.
never tried rosemary but the others are easily grown

Rosemary is supposed to be hard as fuck to germinate, it takes like a month. But whatever, it's not like it takes a lot of effort to throw some seeds on some potting soil. Parsley is also supposed to be tricky, but I'm not worried.

Forgot to mention sage as well.

>Shiso
Never used it before. But to be fair, I've never made anything with marjoram or savory either, but I figure if I had some around I'd probably figure out a way to incorporate them. What does it taste like?

you just have to keep the seeds moist all the time and they germinate nicely

majoram is a relative of oregano but it's much, much more intense
things like the recipe in the link
kitchennostalgia.com/soups/lentil-stew-with-dumplings.html
taste nice with a bit of majoram

tried to link savory is ok, it's nothing special but if you cook it with your beans you fart less

Literally just plant and water, when they get decently grow start picking leaves for fresh use/drying this will encourage bushier growth and prevent flowerin g which bitters the taste and makes it nearlly unuseable.

shiso is nice on salads
you could also try mint and lemon balm they will survive nearly everything and have versatile uses

Is purple basil a meme? I have some and regular basil growing, seems to taste nearly the exact same, purple isnt as strong as the normal green leaves, but the flavor is still the same.

no
The purple one tastest definitely different. Somehow more complex. But it's usage is smaller than the usage of the normal one. I like it on salads.

Im growing both and......i tried both and the purple just seems like the same flavor just less pronounced then what i assume is bogstandard green.

My english is not good enough to describe it accurately.
The red one is more sweet, smells more intense and there is also something else almost musky to it.

Been smoking a nice combo of mullein, blue lotus, and some horehound. A little bit of honey and some anise to taste and you're golden.

Pour boiling water onto your parsley seeds. Same for carrots, if anyone's interested. Softens the outer layer or some shit, and increases the % that germinate properly.

Rose isn't subtle. A drop of rosewater in a liter of water is easily detectable.
>dill
I've been growing plenty of dill but it seems so flavorless. I've eaten whole mammoth plants but they just don't seem to be very flavorful. Same thing with dried dill, it's like I can't taste dill very well.
Anyway, I have tons of lemon balm right now. It's great on sandwiches and in lemon balm salads. I gotta eat it fast though.

What sort of dishes could be enhaced by fresh mint?

all of them, literally

It's a dry climate here and sage dries out quickly. It is also pretty sensitive to being too wet for too long. I keep some in a large partial exposure pot with a decent amount of gravel in the bottom for good drainage and adjust the water frequency and amount as it needs it.
This Easter I made way too much compound butter with an herb mixture, primarily sage. I plan on roasting off some chicken legs with some of the left over butter this weekend.

Boiling water always helps with plants.Just try it, they love it.

>I don't know anything about seed starting.
You might want to learn some germination techniques before you start pouring boiling water on your mature plants.

It's also great to spice up your water.

rice and mitn is great
filled zucchini with mint is great.....
mint is great for a lot of things

rose is awful
try violets and marigold