What is the next big thing in Maths, /sci? Is there anything that is close to a breakthrough?

What is the next big thing in Maths, /sci? Is there anything that is close to a breakthrough?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambu–Jona-Lasinio_model
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Maths
>s

>Math
>h

brits are just awful, aren't they?

aaaaaannnnd the thread has been derailed

Honestly I agree, which is something that I think Trump should reconsider. Our relationship with that muslim ridden country cannot continue, your regular brit is completely retarded and shouldnt be considered among the true whites.

Sure they kind of improved with Brexit but our country shouldn't even bother with them anymore, they are a failed bunch.

how many times do you think he will marry and divorce the amber whore?

>Our relationship with that muslim ridden country cannot continue
there's more muslims in the USA than in the UK

BUCKLING
U
C
K
L
I
N
G

It's pretty hard to predict a breakthrough, user.

People tend to talk about breakthroughs in hindsight and piece together what made it possible, not predict them. Somebody might be close, but you won't know they were until they already make the discovery. It's just how the unknown works.

Scientifically speaking, medical researchers have found an effective way to thaw out frozen tissues without damaging them, so cryonic sciences has undergone a breakthrough.

>that image

sends shivers down my spine.

This is a picture of the Gusset Plate that failed in the 2007 Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Applications of IUT.

You're pretty much obsolete if you don't understand it.

>Mat
>t

>Ma
>a

Interesting how many immediately recognized this pic. I did too. Crossed this bridge many times.

>M
>Not set to W for Wumbo

Kek

>W
>Not UU

>UU
>not UUUU

Pure math, the memes about spaces and donuts etc, that are posted here etc, are all APPLICATIONS to stuff we have not yet discovered.

think about that. its beyond the scope of what you think of when calculus uses 'area under a curve' for example as the work done (on a force - displacement graph)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambu–Jona-Lasinio_model

>uuuu~

ELI5 please

I'm from england.

The only thing i recognised is the buckling of that plate....

Quantum computing
Internet of things
Computational simulations
Machine learning

These future of mathematics is etched in silicon.
This is how it has been for the last half century.

If you want to be on the bleeding edge of everything, you need to be part of the next evolution of the field of mathematics. Which is of course, computer science. Incorporating discrete structures, complex analysis, multivariable calculus, and advanced linear algebra to describe some of the most innovative developments that happen in this field.

Of course, the pen and paper mathmatician still have a place in the world. I myself practice some of the more abstract elements of the field as a hobby. But let's face it. It is fast becoming stale and less in demand.

It is time to stop wasting your life. Become part of the vanguard and join the CS master race.

You seem well versed in the feild.

I am about to graduate Software Engineering. Its a bachelor of engineering here at my university, but its essentially a CS program with a few less (maybe like 3 less over the course of 4 years) CS classes and a view more (maybe 6 over 4 years) Engineering ones like eng econ, eng ethics, drafting, documents etc.

My question for you or anyone who has any input to give, I have found in my later years I have found less interest in programing and software design and am more interested in math. I graduate in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone knows if I could get away with applying for jobs outside the realm of CS and Software Design. I don't even know where to begin, my neighbour claims if I know trig I could a job at any of the factories around my place but I'm not sure how legit his input is.

have you talked to the university about this yet? They might offer single unit courses.

Not sure what you mean, and its probably too late, I graduate in weeks, this is my last semester

Feelings mutual.

I forget, or just have never learned, what is [math] f^{(4)}[/math] mean, like the 4th derivative?

>like the 4th derivative?
yes

did this happen because of that gap? because I think not

that most likely is the outcome of the actual problem somewhere else in the structure. Maybe the part to the right from where the pic was taken sinked a little, or when it was constructed it was not aligned good enough

is this related to numerical integration?

When we move away from the bean counting we call maths. That will be the next really major break through.

It will come in tandem with break throughs in our understanding of what we currently call space, time, matter and energy.

It may happen within the next a few thousand years. Depends very much on the path AI takes us.

How fucked were the civil engineers who made that bridge?

Well it was designed in the 60s sooooo they were either too old to care or dead.