Is this worth reading casually? As in, I'm not trying to become a fucking war strategist

Is this worth reading casually? As in, I'm not trying to become a fucking war strategist.

Other urls found in this thread:

dodccrp-test.org/ccrp-books/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>As in, I'm not trying to become a fucking war strategist.

luckily for you that requires an actual technical military education and not just flicking through a book of very short, millennia-old aphorisms

>I'm not trying to become a fucking war strategist.

Well that's too bad buddy because once you made your way through this gem of roughly 100 pages you will rival the likes of Napoleon, Caesar and Alexander the Great whether you want it or not.

>whether you want it or not.

There is nothing casual about this book. I read it on the bus and instead of going to work I accidentally conquered most of Canada.

>implying you faced any resistance, especially from the north

It may make you a better Total War player but aside from that you won't become a military strategist.

I honestly don't mind that I didn't get a real answer because the replies have been so good

>I Have the higher ground cuckdeau
>*cuckdeau kneels and anticipates cock*

Canadias are easily dominated

>Reads book
>self satisfyingly exhale as you finish the last page
>instantly transported to an active war zone where you command a battalion of infantry men which you are expected to lead into battle
>start spouting bs
>"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war"
>lead a battalion of soldiers to their deaths

I'd say so. It was quite interesting.

>Is this worth reading casually?
Only if you are a narcissist.

Similarly, my copy has an introductory section almost as long as the book on ancient Chinese military doctrine and equipment.

Will I miss anything if I skip it? I'm not interested in the historical aspect, but rather how I might apply the content to life.

>Will I miss anything if I skip it? I'm not interested in the historical aspect, but rather how I might apply the content to life.

In that case, save yourself the effort and read Thomas Schelling instead. Might be on sale some places since he just died.

There's two main lessons to pull from this book and apply to your life. Don't fight chariots head on and don't charge up hill.

There's no need to thank me for saving you 20 minutes of reading.

book is good, can apply it to everyday interactions withh people , can see alot of it in how chinese people/business/society function diplomatic, strategic, cunning etc..

Not OP. What should I read if I actually want to become a fucking war strategist?

Would recommend Clausewitz instead

Correct ratio of chariots to foot soldiers is pretty important in job interviews

I thought it was crap. Its a bunch of stuff that is either obvious or so unspecific it can be applied to almost everything without really saying anything.

But its a short read so its not really any effort to make up your own mind.

Pretty much the opposite of something you read casually. Still worthwhile though.

It has a lot of applications in everyday life, hence why it's on the reading list of so many business executives and entrepreneurs.

My mistake, I skipped the 'casual' part.

Albeit not light reading, I would take von Clausewitz's On War and Machiavelli's Il Principe over Sun Tzu any day.

I have that version too. read it, it's worth it

tried reading it may have got a bad translation it was unreadable

Its the sort of book best read intermittedly.

Keep it near the toilet so you can pick it up everytime you take a shit

Came here more or less to say this.

It's short enough that you might as well read it three times and commit the best bits to memory. A lot of it is really basic by modern standards: don't waste energy on needless conflicts, know as much as you can about your enemy, cornered men will fight to survive, don't fuck up your logistics, use subterfuge, use bait. Stuff like that.

Pretty much this. I read the Art of War after Clausewitz and I got nothing from it.
Can't really think of any reason to read it except to say you did.

Casuals
I read Strategy: A History by Lawrence Freedman a couple days ago, and I've already enslaved three-quarters of the known universe using nothing but a paperclip and a condom.

I thought it was an enjoyable read.

>this fucking theard

Am I on reddit?

Why don't you go shit up that pasta thread?

yes, but then
>pic related

just play rome total war

One of the best books I've read. Not for literary content, but for understanding the philosophy of completing a complicated task. Winning a war is the ultimate task, and so this book is an excellent guide for conducting difficult affairs.

I thought corporate suits looking to climb the ranks were the only people who read this book.

kek

my diary desu

ahahahahaha im so embarrassed to be Cucknadian

I read both in a single class for JPME Phase 1 class called Strategy and War.

Just be careful OP, if the US Government learns you're reading it they will literaly force you to be a 5 star general and in command of the US' nuclear armament

I have to say I love the original German title, Vom Kriege. Why do the krauts have to get the best word for war.

I don't know "war" to me sounds like the roar of soldiers

"Krieg" sounds like a Tourette's outburst.

dodccrp-test.org/ccrp-books/

I was a dove before I read this, and after I chose to enlist. Not saying that'll happen to you, but it's possible, so precede with caution.

I was going to say that they've picked the word that sounds less like roar and more like REEEE

The more important question is what you thought the book was about. You might have a pleb interpretation and/or a pleb translation. Vast majority of shit is underlining logistics, and that's so important when looking at any military action from any age.