So what math do you actually need to be a high-school math teacher? Algebra 2?

So what math do you actually need to be a high-school math teacher? Algebra 2?

you could probably bluff your way through with a pre-al education

Real analysis at least

This, it isn't like you actually have to understand these things in a modern classroom.
All the work is one for you, you just read from a book, give out premade assignments and grade them based on an answer sheet

At a highschool level you need to get a degree in math.

That will include Calc 1-3, analysis, linear, abstract, etc...

My university required math education majors to take abstract algebra and real analysis.

My university required math education majors to take abstract algebra and real analysis.

I refuse to believe this. My math teachers in high-school were boring and regular P.E teachers. I would be surprised if they even got to cal 2-3 are the other math classes you listed.

That's because it's not true. In the US you only need an education degree to teach high school math, even in the rich states. I also had gym teachers for math teachers.

>So what math do you actually need to be a high-school math teacher?
Apparently people, who here in Germany, want to be a teacher in mathematics take math up to functional analysis.
I dot know what exactly is required but it is no insignificant amount. It at least includes real analysis and linear algebra.

profs at my university hate math-education majors

Please explain

they give much less of a shit about the classes than math majors according to my one prof. generally their averages hover about 20% lower as well

>generally their averages hover about 20% lower as well
What does that mean?

Am I the only one who literally can't imagine any of their high school teachers knowing any math above calc i

I am on the same boat.

than the math majors

Very low amount of math.

Lol

Here in burgerland, I would guess the non-AP teachers knew calc 1 at the most

my bc calc teacher knew number theory, real analysis, diff eqs, linear algebra, and some topology

It depends, here in Brazil the decent schools (those for middle-class/rich kids) requires you to have a major in Mathematics. All the calculus, maybe real analysis, but that's it. Groups, topology and other shit are not required.

Other schools expect less, which makes sense.

you need to know calc 1, its important that you are at least a level above your students to instill confidence in you

I don't get why would anybody stop at maths when they are at pre-cal or cal 1 if they're a math teacher If a person got that far in math, they stand a pretty good chance at getting their associate in science in math and probably further. You really have to be the most mediocre person ever stop at cal 1.

"You only need" is a low bar. Family member works in hiring new teachers at a public high school (high income area) and, from talking to her, they will always try to grab people with degrees in the field they want to teach rather than just an education degree.

You shouldn't be teaching if you aren't comfortable with material a few levels higher than the course you're teaching.

Go to germany we have not enought teachers
they will take you even if you hadnt studied math

They probably don't considering they wouldn't have used to for quite a while

here is aus you 'need' a math major from your degree + diploma of education (now masters of education, diploma grandfathered 2017).
most of the math teachers are retrained though, around 56% don't hold a major in mathematics (source: some random news article a while back). Lots of people do physical education (gym) and end up teaching math because all the literature teachers are shit at it.

I decided not to do a 2 year masters program that boils down to 15 weeks on the job training and some theory.