Opinions?

What did Veeky Forums think of this?

I liked it mostly for how he described social anxiety and disassociation .

Fuck off, Tao Lin

Not even worth criticizing, a non-entity

interesting prose, terribly boring story. I dont care much for feely feels, only thinking feels

I swear it isn't me.
Hamsters just seem…funny,” Lin says, back in Petco, “and so does locking myself inside a big hamster-suit.

Liked it, well not all of it, but a respectable amount.

Once you get into his flow, it's actually pretty good.

Tao Lin is yesterday's news. Absolutely no one talks about him anymore other than stunted 4channers. Move on, already.

this seriously this

Go to bed, tao
Tony Tulathamutte was the more entertaining shit writer shilling their work

AND THEN HE WENT TO WHOLE FOODS AND BOUGHT ORGANIC CANTALOUPES AND DID A BUNCH OF PILLS AM I BOSTMODERN YET

Are there any alt lit writers who are actually good?

lmao holy shit that's classic. is that what the book is like? could the book be funny if you went into thinking it was written by some douchebag hipster and it's just him jizzing his hipster juice into book form? could you laugh at how hard it's trying to be hipster?

Tao Lin is good

Taipei is only 4 star to me but its very polished and well written. just a little boring in parts

Eeeee Eee Eeee is better

You people need to realize that he is the future. There are pretty much no great major writers left, they're dead.

You don't have to love him but you have to... like him

I liked it the first time
I couldn't get more than 10 pages the second time

Agreed, EEE was more enjoyable

At this point, it's a conversation starter when alt girls notice it on my bookshelf

what i meant was, you don't have to like him, but you have to admit he's smart and a very sensible writer. You can tell that he doesn't allow himself the slightest wiggle room in any of his sentences

Very disappointed. Now go to bed Tao.

HE RAPED A TWELVRE YEAR OLD REEEEEEEEEEEE

Great writer, fantastic prose. Somewhat of a pleb filter.

I preferred Shoplifting from American Apparel to be honest

I often hear people in the millennial generation complaining there's nothing to write about anymore. "Nothing interesting ever happens to me!" I then think back to some other writers like Hemingway: A man who in his late teens and early twenties volunteered to be an ambulance driver in World War I. He then sustained himself by writing in a post-war Paris through the rest of his twenties. He would go on to do other considerable things, two more wars, living in a pre-communist Cuba, traveling through Africa. All these things were simply his normal experience.
These people who complain that nothing interesting happens anymore are simply different. They are an ever-child generation. They stay indoors, they don't go across oceans, they don't take risks. They want for nothing more to be coddled in their parents home for as long as possible, they have no will to be free and be their own persons. Yes, to you there's nothing interesting, nothing happens to you, because you refuse to let it happen, you don't seek things that could happen, you have no will or urge for them to happen. You want to be handed experience and wisdom without the necessary work.
You can't write a book about nothing, especially when you aren't willing to to go out and prevent nothing from taking over your life. Tao Lin, however, has managed to take the phrase: You can't write a book about nothing, and ran with it for several thousand words. Taipei is a book about nothing. It is inane babble of the ever-child generation. It is complete and utter garbage.

Either a total pleb or a 40 year old man that struggles to understand "the kids"

/was his post too long for you?
Boring people are boring. Boring people complain, do nothing and have no experience to draw from.

Tao Lin wrote a book called Eeeee Eee Eeee and I've never seen anyone here making fun of it by calling it Reeeee Ree Reeee? Seriously?

You're a retard, there's a lot of travel in the novel called fucking Taipei.

Where he spends all his time doing, what, nothing.

Tao Lin is the Donald Trump of novelists.

This comment made me cringe.

So did this one.

user, what is your book going to be about? What meaningful life experience have you had? Saying the "ever-child generation" makes you sound like a complete moron who has put no thought into your own perspective, philosophy, or anything beyond high school level academic concepts.

Go to bed, Tao.

grateful to Tao for the perfect pleb filter

>my attention span requires "big" plot elements and extraordinary events

lol total pleb. most of the great literature is about inert characters. the less you can say about the plot, the more you can say about the writing. people like you are the reason so many writers crusade against plot (Beckett, Bernhard, Kawabata, Nabokov). it also seems you missed the parallels between Hemingway's quiet prose and Lin's. they're similar on a prose level, but i guess i could see the differences if i focused only on plot.

>missing the point
Sure showing off your reading comprehension, high-speed

>you can't write a book about nothing

this post is bullshit. you can't just make an empty declaration about what writers are allowed to do. especially one that is easily proven wrong (see my first post re Beckett/Bernhard etc). stop pretending to be a literary critic, because your post is just complaints about what a writer didn't do, instead of what he did.

hey man your right. the necessity of a life of high excitement and constant action clearly explains the excellence of writers such as George Eliot, Gustave Flaubert, William Shakespeare, William Wordsworth, Michel de Montaigne etc.

Because we don't make fun of Tao Lin at all. He's /ourguy/.