What are his other books like?

What are his other books like?
I found a copy of The Pale King in my local library, and I wanted to know if it's worth my time.

His nonfiction is extremely approachable and very funny. I highly recommend A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, both the essay and the entire collection. The former is available online for free!

>!
cut yourself

>What are his other books like?
i dont know

Cut yourself!

His nonfiction is very much worth your time but the short stories are great, too.

should I read the rest of Wallace before The Pale King? I read somewhere it's sorta reflects on his past work

>!

This tells you all you need to know about Wallace fan's

>!
okay but seriously though stop

>fan's
Jesus Crust, how can you fuck up like that, user.

I don't see any issue's there

You should probably read IJ first but nothing will happen if you don't.

Very successful use of ironic exclamation marks, I bet Wallace would have hated it!

TPK is incomplete and it totally feels it. Infinite Jest is his best book, even though you don't get obscure hipster points for saying that.

Are you a hipster? Ironically of course, because otherwise you'd just be a poser.

I'd be a hipster if I wasn't such a loser.

Depends how much you like his prose. TPK is like a drill in Wallace's writings. Don't expect much in terms of complete stories/character development, but what's already there is fucking amazing

The Pale King is no less complete than Infinite Jest, which just had the worst fucking last 100 pages a book of that caliber could have.

I actually liked The Pale King better. Sue me

disagree so much. the end was great

Disagree about the last 100 pages being awful, but I did prefer TPK. It was a lot more ambitious than IJ, and the whole 'self-conscious'-writer shtick worked great when it was bestowed on a first person narrator. I haven't gotten around to Oblivion yet, but so far I think TPK is the most profound of DFW's books. I would definitely read it.

His short stories. on the other hand, are often a slog IMO.

you could honestly probably start wherever you wanted. I have read most of his stuff and I think the Pale King is one of his best works.

Oblivion is going to knock your socks off mate, get round to it. Veeky Forums doesn't mention it only because it wrecks the meme. Its the real thing, all promises paid off in full.

>Crust

It's all worth your time, even his unfinished work.

If you enjoyed the dialogue between Marathe and Steeply, or the AA stuff, then go for his essays next, though. There are lots of people out there who don't like his fiction but rate his journalism.

On the other hand, if you were more into the world of the tennis academy, then go straight to The Pale King.

didn't mean to quote

I was going to second A Supposedly Fun Thing, but actually my absolute favourite essay is The Host and I think anyone should start there

just watch the movie

Agreed. Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way is basically the definition of postmodern garbage. They are definitely hit or miss though, John BIlly was fantastic.

Bought a copy of "End of the tour" which I found for £5 next to the magazines at a supermarket checkout. Never going to watch it but it just seemed a very Wallacian purchasing moment.

Still unclear why Tesco thinks there is such a market for impulse bought meme triology bioflicks that they'd put them in prime retail space like that.

>Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way
Hey, I loved that one. Didn't care for the rest of the Girl With Curious Hair collection though ("Little Expressionless Animals" was ok)

fucking hell you cunts are so pretentious

Nothing will happen if he does though. TPK was my first DFW.

No one ever talks about The Broom of the System

Well, you bought it didn't you?

They're shit just like Infinite Jest and his face.

Consider the Lobster! is excellent (besides that fucking box essay).

tell me more about this box essay

Hmmm, I don't remember the box essay anymore.

I'm reading Hideous Men right now, and it's good. Not all of it is (Octet was the pomo slog it seemed right from the start), but that's the only really bad story for now, and I'm 150 pages in (!)