Why does no one know about him outside of academic mathematicians...

Why does no one know about him outside of academic mathematicians? I never hear anything about him even though he is probably the greatest mathematician of the 20th century. You can hear about Hilbert, Gödel, Turing, Erdös, Ramanujan, Hardy but Grothendieck gets almost no recognition in our wider culture despite his turbulent life witch you would think would make him a more popular figure.

Other urls found in this thread:

dam.brown.edu/people/mumford/blog/2014/Grothendieck.html
webusers.imj-prg.fr/~leila.schneps/grothendieckcircle/heathcote.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Popsci can't into algebraic geometry

No one's written a popular biography about him yet; it'll happen soon enough, and then we'll get a biopic like with Turing and Ramanujan.

dam.brown.edu/people/mumford/blog/2014/Grothendieck.html

The movie practicall writes itself!!

Frenchfag here,

we hear about him a lot. I even remember my high school textbook having a quote from him on one page.

It's just a question of nationality I guess.

If you want people to know about Grothendieck you have to meme him out of obscurity.

Keep talking about how he looks like a wizard.

Godel became famous because people assumed his work had philosophical implications, and Turing became famous because of obvious applications of his work. Erdos is known for being very prolific, and Ramanujan is known for being a prodigy. I don't think Hardy and Hilbert are quite as popularly known as those others, but if they are, in Hardy's case it's because of his relationship to Ramanujan, and in Hilbert's case it's because of his work in foundations. The issue with Grothendieck is that he's substantially more recent than them, and perhaps because his work is more abstract and difficult. Also you forgot about von Neumann

Actually I guess Hilbert's Hotel makes him about as famous as hte others

People don't really know about Turing other than what the movie displayed. People usually associate Turing due to his crypto work, when he was known for much more. I think in on of his recommendation letters he was stayed for his work in almost periodic functions, or something along those lines, despite (by then iirc) having done ground breaking work in computability.

>You can hear about Hilbert, Gödel, Turing, Erdös, Ramanujan, Hardy
no, not really

Turing maybe, because being gay is very cool now

Milo Yiannopoulos ruined being gay

its bcuz his name looks like 'gross dick'

>Godel became famous because people assumed his work had philosophical implications
kek

>You can hear about Hilbert, Gödel, Turing, Erdös, Ramanujan, Hardy
The only ones of these anybody learns about outside of specialized math material are Turing (because people like computers) and Ramemejan

Now I'll have to become a tranny to get future liberals to love my mathematical work :(

Hardy also because of "A Mathematician's Apology"

I could quite easily see a dramatized biopic of his life like that Ramanujan movie

Someone wrote a play about him here:
webusers.imj-prg.fr/~leila.schneps/grothendieckcircle/heathcote.pdf

>dam.brown.edu/people/mumford/blog/2014/Grothendieck.html

that was a great read thanks

>i made strides in algebrai-

YEAH ID LIKE SOME ONION RINGS OPTIMIZED TO A TAURUS

>"A Mathematician's Apology"
that was a great read thanks