Is becoming a chef the biggest mistake a man can make?

Is becoming a chef the biggest mistake a man can make?

I enjoy it.

Position?
How many years of experience?
How much $$$ you make?

I'm not a chef anymore, just a line cook, at the moment. I'm not a red seal.
I've been head chef/head cook of more than a few restaurants, but started at a new place not too long ago.
Last place I was chef of, I made about $50,000 a year, plus a bi-yearly payout of $2000 in lieu of benefits.

> $50,000
I should add that's without overtime/time and a half/doubletime hours, and also excludes the bonus pay.

so with overtime it's 200k right?

Unless you land some bullshit chef job, you can't exactly become one on accident. A big mistake would be spending money on culinary school and thinking you're going to graduate and "become a chef."

kek
Actually not a whole lot of overtime, unless the weekend dickheads didn't show up, or we were in a lock down situation. Time and a half and doubletime came holidays, along with the bonus... a pecentage of hours works two weeks prior to the holiday.

No, getting married is.

>having to work most Holidays, if not all
>only having 1 day off a week
>80hr work week in a sweat box full of angry degenerates who are drunks/junkies
>no personal time for family/friends
>no personal time for a relationship, only time for rotating skeezer FoH staff
>no personal time to sit down and enjoy a meal
>your friends/family whoring you out on rare days off to cook for them because they're too retarded to learn the essential life skill of proper cooking technique

Not only did I fall for the Culinary School meme, but the Chef meme in general. I eat very well, and drink well, lack of free time and personal space annoys me.

Sorry to hear it bro

as if that is anything different from shit other jobs have to deal with.

>baww, chefs have it so hard

Try being a fucking pilot where you get scheduled the night before for flights, have to have 1500 flight hours just for a chance to get hired, and work for minimum wage the first two years even after you've spent tens of thousands of dollars in training and building those hours up.

But hey, you gotta wake up at 4 AM and prep some food then work in a sweltering kitchen all day, boo fucking hoo.

Not the worst...you could get married.

>Mfw pilots sit around all day,
How's the fupa coming along?

>being a pilot

My commis makes more than a pilot. Only an idiot would work in an industry that needs to be bailed out by the federal government every decade or so. You brought that upon yourself, the poverty.

Fuck off Schlomo.

>paying for flight training
>paying for flight hours

If you weren't good enough to make the cut for the Air Force or Navy, you should have selected a different career.

I'm a cook in the navy, I'm sorely under paid. If I got paid by the hour(by minimum wage) my 6 month deployments would rake in 25k

Chefs are a meme

Your life is a meme. Time to end it

So what should i do?
How can i shift into a different career?

i actually have a BA degree in economics, but there's no jobs to be found anywhere.

25k for sixth months with zero living expenses? That's literally not bad

Have losing your house and paying alimony and child support

>missing the entire point of the post you replied to

Wew lad I'm in the same situation. Graduated 2 years ago with a BA in economics and been working in kitchens since.

>i actually have a BA degree in economics, but there's no jobs to be found anywhere.

Because an Econ degree is useless without going to grad school.

>grad school
fuck man i don't want to waste more years on (((education)))
i'm lucky enough that i don't have any debt on my head unlike my peers.

I only earn 22k a year, i get a fixed salary not wage, it hurts senpai

>Because a degree is useless without going to grad school.

FTFY famalama

Yea, but you get to work 12+ hour days and get free housing in some shitty prison tier barracks or rack.

If you hate creative cooking and can't handle a high stress, long hours job, then yes it's a mistake

I don't know how hard the chef's work actually is, but they're definitely the best at whining about their job compared to doctors, policemen, soldiers etc.

>chef
>creative

you do know that only the head chef makes the recipes and menu?
your whole job is to merely copy/paste his recipe.

copy pasta

>you do know that only the head chef makes the recipes and menu?
If you work at a place where the chef doesn't value creativity and input from his employees, then yes.
I'very worked in many places where I've had more than just input on menu changes or updates.

Vegan chef here. Best decision I ever made.

Nah. I'm planning on becoming a professor. Gotta spend another 3-5 years in school, and I'll likely end up working 70 hours a week.

18 hours on deployment senpai

I'm a hands on owner/chef so I do have some perspective on the subject. Being a hands on chef yes it is my job to be the creative one and to train my kitchen staff to execute my recipes. If I were dumb enough to walk away from my kitchen and trust them to execute it properly every single time, I wouldn't be in business still much less successful at it. I or my partner touch every single plate that goes out, we are part of the execution from beginning to end. We are in our fourth year of business with an increase of anywhere from 10-40% in sales and profits comparing month to month from each previous year. I've already paid off a five year loan in full and are continuing to drive sales because of consistent food and quality. Your Food network idea of a chef is skewed Jungle Jim.

Bro im a retired navy CSCM. Stick it out bro the retirement is worth it and im going to college for something unrelated

Yeah but once you make chief its instant life on retarded easy mode. Then master chief i came and went as i pleased. Just dont miss movement and make sure shit runs

Hey thats cool my digits inversed each other in each post

I'm a chef at Wendy's. It's been fine so far - I'm 6'4" with a nine inch cock making over $120,000 per year plus tips and bonuses. There are a lot of hot waitresses I got to bang too.

Yea, but at least your more likely to be killed and put out of your misery, so...

This isn't even a good troll post.
>Wendy's
>waitresses

>I'm a hands on owner/chef...

There's a line between being "hands on" and micro-managing, and micro-managers are the worst, as they stifle the initiative and creativity of those that work for them.

If you can't find and train somebody to meet your standards, then the problem is YOU, not your people.

Best of luck to you, regardless.

Post feet

Didn't realize I indicated a problem. My staff is happy and managed, not micro managed. We've been profitable since going into our second year of business. The work force in our small town is very limited. After almost four years I have a great crew I trust. There is a huge difference between managed and micromanaged. I work along side my crew as well as being their leader. I expect nothing but the best for our guests. Making sure all plates are up to ours and our cooks standards is not micromanaging, it's making sure we stay in business. Even the best of the best will start making slip ups or taking shortcuts when their nicotine levels get low

I don't hate you. Good job

if that's anything like being a "cook" in the army then you only actually work hard like three times a year

>so with overtime it's 200k right?
Top Kek, work in a kitchen for a while before deciding to go down that route. Food service industry sucks ass

I think he was cracking wise.

how does one wind up working 80 hours a week? why in the hell would you allow that to happen?

Friday, Saturday and Sunday alone account for 35 of those hours.

It does not get easier with time , every day will be stressful . A lot of cooks I know have a smoking / drinking problem. The pay will be shit untill you are running the show . I don't know the exact percentage but something like 80 percent of resteraunts fail in there first two years .The hours suck dick and I hope your ok with being called into work on your days off / staying late for a busy night . 90 percent of the tip money goes to the server who brought the customer the food . You need lots of motivation to get up the ladder , there a million chefs , getting a job that is not line cook tier is tough .

Thanks. I'll sleep much better tonight. On my mattress made of cash stacks

It's great and a okayish income while single....you are retarded if you get married and/or have kids

Not becoming a chef.

But telling anyone you're a chef has always been a huge mistake for me. Particularly women. Even relatives. Guys don't care except to use your services to impress THEIR women. But women ... my god. Tell them you're an assembly line worker or something.