Any bongs here get most of their books from chairty shops? Coming out of them with 7 books for £10 is pretty great...

Any bongs here get most of their books from chairty shops? Coming out of them with 7 books for £10 is pretty great. Oxfam seems like the best one where I'm at, they have a whole shop sized section for books.

I only live near one charity shop, it has only a couple of shelves of books mainly consisting of Jackie Collins and about seven copies of The Godfather

I pop in every once in a while but it's almost all fantasy series or books about about children being abducted (usually by their father).

Yup, I only but from charity shops. Good selection of stuff both where I live and where I work in London. Local Oxfam bookshop, which has the best selection, has however started charging £2.50 for fiction paperbacks, the greedy starving-orphan-helping bastards.

This generally.

I have no problem using Waterstones desu. I shop there a lot.

Saw Taipei by Tao Lin in one the other day. Couldn't bring myself to meme quite that hard, though.

>£10 for Beyond Good and Evil

Yes easily, second hand has done wonders for me.

It's for the reasons that I'm willing to take chances on books, 0.5-1 Euro, sure I'll buy it even if it's for some stupid reason.

But this year I've read The White Hotel and I found it amazing. Sure some are less than amazing but over all the ability to discover new books like Convergence Culture and Pol Pots Leende ( Pol Pots Smile ) to be an over all good thing.

Only second hand for me too, mostly charity shops. Got a good amnesty shop where I am, but Oxfam tends to overprice for the condition imo (2.99 for a slim and battered paperback). I still buy from them though because it's tough to begrudge an extra quid for a charity. There are quite a few cheaper charity shops too, at something like 50p/book but the chances of finding something really interesting is frustratingly low.

There are charity second hand sellers on Amazon

The charity shops around me only seem to have shitty books.

However got Catch 22 from Oxfam for £2.99 in Glasgow yesterday so not bad

I got a hardback one for 99p in my oxfam

>that graph

Oxfam bookshop is the best, bit pricey but huge selection. If you look in the 'collectables' section you can get books that are over 100 years old and aesthetically pleasing for a few quid. Shame most of them are actual shite to read however.

Fuck I got ripped off

Charity cunts

Yeah I have a collectable section in my oxfam. I might take some pictures of the store next time I'm there, it's really comfy

That is not to say a good portion of my book collection isnt second or third or even fourth hand. Most of mine I've bought as you have for a pound or two each but are generally two or three decades old before i get them. A lot of my collection are books from the 80s. I've even got stuff from the 50s and 30s too.

Since I travel on the bus a lot and I take a book with me almost everywhere else, it makes no sense to me to risk destroying an old copy when i can grab one from Waterstones. Usually I have a recent edition and two or three older editions of the same book (I'm a bibliophile / hoarder).

£8.99 for a book isnt bad nor do i feel any pain paying that much when books are about the only thing i treat myself too

yup. in my patch the oxfam bookshop in winchester is a good one. the one in farnham is ok too. probably because those areas have quite a lot of wealthy people the books tend to be of a higher standard. the one in southampton is a bit crappy tho.

the only other charities that seem to have anywhere near decent book selections are amnesty (but they don't have many shops) and british heart foundation- their shop in basingstoke has a reasonable selection

>not using Waterstones marketplace

when i was at uni in manchester the best book deals were with he homeless guys selling used books on a friday afternoon. could find some great books there, lots of esoteric shit. I picked up a copy of a Trotskys 1905 which was the property of a white rhodesian sentenced to 20 years for attempting a grenade attack on a state minister

This site can’t be reached

www.waterstonesmarketplace.com took too long to respond.

red cross bookshop has a decent selection near me. i think ill donate my books to them when i commit suicide.

2.99 is pretty steep for a popular book. i would pay £2 at most in a london used book shop/charity.

the spoons near my house has bookshelves filled with old hardbacks. they have like 12 volumes of a 50s encyclopedia dramatica and 80 year old books. most of it is dross but i wonder if there isnt something rare lurking

fucking brits get off my board

>2.99
>steep

kek poorfar

If you can get it for cheaper then paying more is just retarded

>being in a shop and wanting a book
>get it immediately without haste for a few quid

>paying more is just retarded

You're not factoring in the reading backlog issue. I'm not going to be reading whatever I buy anytime soon, so if I see it at an expensive charity shop I'll often bide my time unless it's pretty rare.

I heard US charity shops were only used by poor people and therefore usually had terrible selections of stuff. Was that wrong?

3 pounds for an unread hardcover of Against The Day
Thank God for Oxfam

pubs and hotels etc buy books from clearance houses, interior design suppliers etc and places like that "books by the foot"

a hotel where i used to work had a mocked-up "library" of stuff like that. lots of books from aound the 1920s and 30s. mostly forgotten authors but a few well known ones like HG Wells and Hilaire Belloc. i nicked a few once. happy days.