>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-science-fiction-books-2016
goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-fantasy-books-2016
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Wheel of Time, greatest fantasy ever written.

This really tugs my braid

Goodreads Choice Awards time faggots

goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-science-fiction-books-2016
goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-fantasy-books-2016

TELL ME!

WHAT DO YOU SEE

>RETCON - THE PLAY winning
>tfw it triggers me more than it should

I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE

How many of you here read novels based in RPG settings?

Specifically, I'm asking if any of you here read Ravenloft novels and if they're any good.

If Focus had a cross-media sibling within the sff genres, which book/series would it be?

>Fire Touched
>Tensions between the fae and humans are coming to a head. And when coyote shapeshifter Mercy and her Alpha werewolf mate, Adam, are called upon to stop a rampaging troll, they find themselves with something that could be used to make the fae back down and forestall out-and-out war: a human child stolen long ago by the fae.

Good Lord.

>alien spaceship from outer space
>aliens
>changing species biology with technology
>fucking nukes

why is this considered fantasy again?

That sounds like fanfiction.

Also, I never really understood the appeal of making werewolves act like wolves.

Werewolves were always meant to be monsters, solitary creatures.

Them having packs, the whole "alpha" and "beta" thing - it just didn't make sense.

Ninefox Gambit is one of the best scifi stories I've read in years and it's a fucking travesty it didn't get more votes.

What's the best place to start with LeGuin? I'm thinking either A Wizard of Earthsea or The Dispossessed.

GUYS
I JUST REALIZED IT
NAU-CAYUTI IS INSIDE THE NO-GOD'S CARAPACE.
Feel free to screen-cap this post so you can marvel when the reveal comes.

(I apologize if it has already been revealed, I haven't read The Great Ordeal yet).

I read through a dozen or so of these fantasy romance series and they're all exactly the same. The SF authors at least have some originality but the fantasy stuff is just muh primal attraction ad nauseum.

Modern were-____ are basically animorphs

From what I remember of that series, it's just basically the same chick over and over being chased by all sorts of dashing and rugged men and gods/demi-gods. Sure, there's a main plot, but it always seems like a side thing rather than the main issue when the personal life drama comes up.

>WE WUZ NO-GOD N SHIT

Recommendations for things without tiring/dense prose? Both scifi and fantasy

it gets revealed in the Great Ordeal

Because magic n rape orcs n shieet

Someone told me pic related is good; i read the first 10 pages and find it unreadable drivel does it actually get good Veeky Forums? Help

No, it's terrible.

I'm about a third into it. It doesn't get better. It's anime tier, but I'll finish it. Won't be reading the others in the series though

That's what i thought thanks user

It's snowy out. What are some good books that pair with this weather?

Song of Ice and Fire

>winter is coming

WHEN?

>a year ago Martin said he would do nothing but write Winds of Winter
>still no known release date
NEVER

Someone hit me up with some good fantasy anime for me to read please.

I bet he still blogs about sports and politics and other shit

Powder mage
Locke Lamora
Lightbringer
Shadow campaigns
Daniel Faust series

Was actually thinking of this. Last book I read was Summer of Night.

Shingeki no Kyojin

I was the guy who posted this:
And yeah. Modern day technology in a secondary world. I have never read a book that has such a setting.

>SnK
>Good
How's it being pleb?

>"male:tomgirl"
CEASE!

Don't worry, once my 600+ page post industrial high fantasy epic (along with deep themes and philosophical discussions) it'll exist. Veeky Forums will be put on the map.

Should I?

Don't try and fight it
Just embrace your desire

Are there any scifi stories about a man fucking his robot waifu?

Might as well.

No, read something good instead.

What's the most christmasy fantasy novel?

If you want to go ahead. Don't seek approval for everything little thing you want to do.

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

The only thing I liked about the Rothfuss books is when Kvothe and his friends are hanging out at school or at the tavern. I use the books as a comfy friend simulator for this, but hate all other aspects of the books

Are there any books that excel in camaraderie and make you as the reader feel like you're "part of the gang?"

Malazan
Book
of
the
Fallen

Good choice.

>tfw you go to hell for being too lewd

I assume you've read Name of the Wind so you know what you're in for. Don't depend to much on memes.

>not synthesizing your own race of shape shifting dick girls who orgasm just by pleasing you

Consult did nothing wrong

C E A S E
E
A
S
E

god, the words are just not coming to me tonight. You writing anything /sffg/?

You are an /a/utist aren't you?

I went there sometime during the year and they went ballistic in teh sad panda thread when I said tomgirl.

Can TKaG be added to the charts?

Whats a good book/series for political intrigue or revolts and that sort of thing. Preferably Sci Fi but im alright with fantasy ones too

Your thoughts on songs/poetry in fantasy books?

Valis

I find it difficult to find the flow in many songs and poetry within books because of how non auditory books are
Unless it's like a really simple rhyme scheme, I find it difficult to imagine the pace and inflections someone reading it might carry.
That being said the few ones I've liked purely from being able to imagine it are 2 Tolkein songs, Far Over Misty Mountains and A Walking Song, and the Rains of Castamere from assoff
I find it personally better for characters to use poetry and song within their universe as quotations or little snippets of it, rather than reciting the entire thing

Anyone else find Citadel of the Autarch really depressing? There's something so soul-crushing about Severian's arc, and how basically nothing works out for anyone.

Expanse is the blindingly obvious scifi rec
Some Culture books too

Traitor Baru Cormorant, Empire Trilogy, Song of Ice and Fire and Long Price/Dagger and Coin are the fantasy recs I can immediately think of

Are there any fantasy series/books where the stakes are extremely small-scale?

One thing I think this genre struggles with, like Hollywood, is blowing things up to such massive proportions that the emotional weight is lost in spectacle

Dandelion Dynasty for fantasy revolution, Alchemy Wars for Clockpunk robot uprising

The Buried Giant

Golem and the Jinni. It's literally just an evil Rabbi trying to become immortal. No world domination, he just doesn't want to end up in Gehenna

I have an idea for an urban fantasybut it doesn't take place on Earth so I don't think I can call it that story where a guy and his sister are tricked by their town into living in their world's version of purgatory. Instead of trying to support their community by spreading the influence of their world's equivalent to a god they renounce their past ties and strive to attempt a comfortable life.

It's pretty rough and I'm still figuring things out. I'll probably drop it after getting too worked up over every little thing. Pretty sure someone did something like this too.

To Kill a God.

I thought I would have dropped this story too. I've never gotten further than the 5k word mark but now I'm sitting at over 10k words and I keep re-writing the entire beginning because it moves too fast and doesn't introduce her character properly. I'm betting I'm going to have to do it all over again too

Beginnings are hard, harder than almost anything else. You don't have strings to build off of, you have to have everything right to hook people right away and even if you go back to it you can't really work backwards

My story is noir fairy tale about a mafia don's daughter who can see the future. For seven years he relied on her powers to solidify his rule over the unsleeping city, but when a prediction goes impossibly wrong he winds up dead. Now the daughter is on the run, sheltered by a circus magician who seems a to know a bit more than just smoke and mirrors

Thanks for the rec.
Deeply appreciate it, I'll be sure to read it soon

House of blades
It is LITERALLY anime in prose.
It even has nothing personnel

There is a scene with someone fucking an ai android in Neal Asher's agent cormac series.
she dies

I finally caught you fagget.

You made me read that shit book. It's literary fiction, not fantasy you fucking cunt.

Need more catgirls in fantasy nyaa.

Wait she is a don's daughter now?
I thought the magician orchestrated everything?

You linked your own post.

I remembered a book I wanted to read and thanked myself for it

Second Mistborn trilogy (quadrilogy). 1900 + magic.

Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Wight's newest series (Unsouled) is also basically just a shonen repurposed into a fantasy book.

His other series outside of that and House of Blades is awful though, even for fun trash

Beginnings are hard for me too since I need everything to click. It's like my mind goes, "If it's not right not everything falls apart later." Right now I try not to get to focused on making one way the story begins work, just analyzing what does and doesn't work. Which is pretty hard to determine from one pair of eyes.

Any novels about space privateers/pirates (I'd ask for fantasy but I've already read Inda?

Ideally nothing with multiple ships on each side in battles as that isn't very interesting to me

What was it?

Foundation or Downbellow Station?

Kino's Journey.

Citizen of the Galaxy has space pirates in it. The Lensman series.

>Lightbringer
>good

Its fun

The Shadow Campaigns series has a French revolution in the second book.

The second or third Dread Empire's Fall book has one of the characters leading guerilla attacks and starting a popular uprising during a civil war after a planet gets taken over.

The Blackcollar series by Timothy Zahn is about genetically enhanced human ninjas fighting against aliens after humanity gets conquered. It's pretty pulpy but is entertaining.

The Vatta's War series might be what you want. Woman from a merchant family gets kicked out of her planet's space navy in disgrace, so her family gives her a old space ship to get her out of the limelight. Eventually she ends up with a letter of marque.

Looking for a new book to read.

I liked the tower of the elephant and the dying earth.

Preferably something beautifully written, a little bizzare, testosterone soaked and **a little lewd**

No urban fantasy or sjw shit pls

Forgot another space pirate one: David Drake's Igniting the Reaches series is about Venusian pirates/privateers going after Earth-owned planets and so on.

Literally BotNS

You're describing Book of the New Sun.
>that scene where they're riding a dinosaur and he beheads the guy right as it walks into Vodalus' clearing

Just a Nanowrimo project.

I need to fix some finer parts with it and write the damn ending, but it's going okay.

What's the lewdest (not fanfic) sci fi/fantasy youve read?

I thought some of heinleins stories were pretty bawdy at points

Probably ASoIaF, but it tends to straddle the line between erotic and grotesque in a way that resonates with my own psychosexual morphology

So I finished Echopraxia last night and it was okay. it seemed too wrapped up in trying to sound smart to actually be particularly interesting though.