Is it just me or do these taste pretty shit? The texture is terrible. Is this some Japanese meme?

Is it just me or do these taste pretty shit? The texture is terrible. Is this some Japanese meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

nal.usda.gov/fnic/mushrooms
youtube.com/watch?v=NHY3kq6uoko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mushrooms in general are shit and not even really food

try cooking them you mongs

Probably not just you but they're one of my favorites. I like them in soups. Especially when they're dried and get rehydrated in the soup water. Gives a good flavor.

What a reasonable and thoroughly descriptive filename. If only the picture provided a link to another pic from the set to prove it's actually a table, then it would be perfect.
>8.5/10

Those are one of the best foods existing.

Still not food.

Show me where on the food pyramid mushrooms go. I'll wait.
>inb4 vegetables
Nope.jpg

Have a nice amanita and you will reverse your opinion about mushrooms

>have some nice fungus genitals
Heard that one before. No thanks.

>inb4 vegetables
>Nope
Yep.
nal.usda.gov/fnic/mushrooms

How about this one then?

Nigga if u followed the food pyramid precisely u wouldn't drink water or eat chocolate

>not even a plant
>calling it a vegetable
Looks like the USDA got paid off by the mushroom lobby.

How many times do I need to say that I don't want any?

>tfw you always wanted to grow your own mushoorms but you fear that you will end growing some poisonous shit and end dying like a mong

Check this one. It's also great.

about ten?

there are enough mushroomfarmers that will sell you spores without problems

The word shit is literally in the name, what did you expect?

>Is it just me or do these taste pretty shit?
You need to know how to cook them.

>The texture is terrible.
Are you using fresh or dried shiitake?

I ate some raw one time then thought that I should look it up on the internet to make sure it's safe to do that and found out that raw shiitakes can cause some people to break out in hives. I ended up with hives everywhere except my legs and groin (thank god)

>Is it just me or do these taste pretty shit?
It is just you.

Coprinus comatus?

Mushrooms are neat
user let's eat!

When you buy them at the white grocery store they aren't worth the premium price, but when you get them at the Asian supermarket and are paying the same as all other types of mushrooms they're great

Yup!
>'coma'tus
Ahue

'Dead man's fingers'

jews ear

Mushrooms are great. I don't care what that other guy says, shitake are probaly my favorite

Not that user, but what if you want spores from a mushroom that isn't farmed? How would I go about growing them then?

>but what if you want spores from a mushroom that isn't farmed?

Why would that matter. Do you think spores are somehow different between wild and farmed mushrooms?

As for growing mushrooms, that depends on the type you want to grow. Just do a web search on it, there's plenty of info. There are also companies who make kits for growing various kinds of mushrooms if you don't want to DIY.

In my country we call it "Præstens pik", which means "the priests dick"

that is a nasty name
we call it stinky morel

How many of these mushrooms are toxic?

In this whole post: three aren't

can you guess which are edible?

Vast majority.

These are indigo milkcaps and chanterelles, both edible.

This is a candycap, also edible. Apparently it has a light maple flavor to it.

Giant puffballs, edible.

These are shaggy ink caps. Toxic when rotting like this, but edible if harvested before that.

Parasol mushrooms, large and edible.

:D

The Destroying Angel mushroom, one of the deadliest mushrooms out there. In its earlier stages it can resemble a button mushroom, so if you're interested in mushroom foraging this is the reason you stay clear of any pure white mushrooms unless you have an experienced guide.

Chicken of the woods, edible, large, and fairly common in the eastern US.

>Shit + bukake = shiitake

Well shit.

King trumpet mushrooms, pretty affordable at Asian grocery stores. I love slicing them up and frying them like bacon strips, with a bit of minced garlic.

and tasty I have to add

i like them breaded

Thanks shroom user, that was pretty interesting

>The giant puffball, Calvatia gigantea (earlier classified as Lycoperdon giganteum), reaches a foot (30 cm) or more in diameter, and is difficult to mistake for any other fungus. It has been estimated that a large specimen of this fungus when mature will produce around 7 × 1012 spores. If collected before spores have formed, while the flesh is still white, it may be cooked as slices fried in butter, with a strong earthy, mushroom flavor.
>7 × 1012 spores
>7,000,000,000,000

Jesus Christ.

joke's on you, this one is pretty damn tasty
bumping with one of my faves
just fry it in a pan and have it between 2 slices of bread and butter

I like to imagine they taste like marshmallows
probably tasty as fuck when coated with egg and bread crumbs and deep fried
one more tasty mushroom for the bump: Lepista personata

maybe it's the Slav in me talking, but honey fungus doesn't seem to get much love in this kind of threads, which is a real shame

Mushroom is a FUNGUS!

the only mushrooms i find edible so far :
enoki and oyster mushrooms, as they go really well in asian soups

portabello is only nice if its fresh

Ur a fungus

They're much more popular in Central and Eastern Europe than they are in North America. I imagine countries where mushroom hunting is more of a tradition (Slavic countries) are more willing to eat them, but there's also the possibility of toxicity. You'll never find honey fungus in American grocery stores because you're supposed to parboil them first before they are generally considered safe to eat. In litigious America, it's not worth the risk to sell mushrooms that probably wouldn't sell all that well here anyway, with the possibility of being sued because someone had an allergic reaction.

All it would take is a sticker labeling them as dangerous before cooking.

Its not like people here don't cook other foods that are dangerous before cooking them.

Man ever since I was a kid the smell of mushrooms made me sick, and I could tell whenever they were in a dish. They just permeate whatever they're in.

Is there any kind of mushroom I should try now that, I don't know, doesn't have that stereotypical "mushroomy" flavour? Something that will get me liking a few kinds of fungus?

Taste change dramatically between childhood and adult hood. Also nearly any dish that people like can be learned to like by eating it regularly in small quantities. Just stop being a picky eater

I'm really not a picky eater. Mushrooms are one of the only things I really, really dislike. And as an adult now I still very much dislike mushrooms.

Shitaake > Morel > Chantrelle

Even that might not be enough. Americans don't like to read. Also, they just don't grok mushrooms. A not insignificant percentage of us won't eat mushrooms at all, and most of the rest haven't got much idea how to cook them. We know button mushrooms, and some of us know portobellos. Some grocers offer shiitake, enoki, straw mushrooms. You can get woodear at most Chinese restaurants and we might recognize it as those dark boogers in our hot and sour soup. Show us a chantrelle and we might start sweating. Show us a morel and most of us would probably kill ourselves in fear and disgust.

Conditions for growing most mushrooms are very particular, most require quite a developed mycelium to produce an ascoma

Make sure to drink your own piss afterwards like the vikings did. Or give it to a friend. Your urine will get them bombed.

>try cooking it
>you can eat pig feces
>just cook it user
>just cook it
>cook it
>cook

I mean... yeah, you can just cook any object and incorporate it somehow

I sure do love mushrooms. I've only eaten chestnut mushrooms with steak and shiitake mushrooms with a nice miso soup.

What else can I make with chestnut mushrooms that isn't soup?

I am always afraid to eat these delicious looking specimens when I find them because I know the death cap looks so similar and has actually killed folks around here... I've even cut open what I thought were puff balls and found the tell -tale mark of death cap inside. Freaks me out.

I think diced and fried button/Cremini goes well with pretty much anything savoury.

I'd put it in with Noodles, pasta, rice, whatever
Anywhere you have meat you can have mushrooms with or instead of it pretty much. Chop it into slices and slap it on a frozen pizza, next to a steak, whatever

They're super easy to cook and super versatile. Only takes like 2-5 minutes

Mushroom gravy is the best though so fuck off

That just makes me wonder, how have we gained the information on which mushroom is edible and which isn't. Did our ancestors just eat random shrooms and write down when someone died horribly?

Does anyone have the DYI mushroom growing pic?
I've been thinking of setting up a little grow-op in my room.

> Being so autistic that you need a pyramid in order to consume food.

you got that wrong
pic related are the one for the peepee drink
you wont live long enough to drink your peepee if you eat the other ones

Yes they did if they were a bit on the dumb side
they fed it to lifestock first if they werent

you found the long lost kid

it's like you need the right gene to like mushrooms. i know people who can't fucking stand them and avoid them at all costs; won't even pick them out of their meal they'll just order a different meal. but i love eating mushrooms so much i'll literally eat them unwashed raw stem and all. if i ever was offered the chance, and knew it was safe, i'd eat them straight out of the ground.

btw does anyone have that youtube video of the japanese guy going mushroom hunting while wearing a giant horse head? it's like as old as youtube.

Some people cannot cook and that's fine.

I have bought some fresh ones and want to add them to my Ramen.
Obviously I need to cook them first somehow. How do I do that? Just boil them in water?

mushrooms on pizza is the bomb desu

It's not nice to bully the dumb, user.

You mean this?

youtube.com/watch?v=NHY3kq6uoko

nice

roast them a bit

thanks for sharing I love crazy shit