Is there any point in reading translated poetry?

Is there any point in reading translated poetry?

if it's good, yes

>That part of your poetry which strikes upon the imaginative eye of the reader will lose nothing by translation into a foreign tongue; that which appeals to the ear can reach only those who take it in the original.

Bumping this for more input

if u can find one yes, but it would certainly not be the one conveyed by the original.

Yes I read Faust this year it was excellent
I guess a good translation retains rhymes

Just spend a week on Duolingo.

All posts ITT are wrong

if its in the same language family yes
otherwise no

>read translation internally to strike the image
>read original out-loud to hear the sound
fix'd

Dante?
Virgil?
Homer?

kys

in my library there is fleurs du mal in bilinguical version and with various translators
Really cool, why there is so little of similiar publications?

this

Don't fall for the meme. You can read it so you know what its about but you will not get half the meaning the poet intended to deliver. Anyway, you speak english right? You should have tons of poetry to read before The flowers of evil. You can still try to learn french to understand it but I think that even then you wouldn't get it ocmpletly. You need to live the language.

Just learn French, it's easy

>says the person who deleted their first post because they couldn't english

this seems reasonable

rekt

depends (see pic related).

for fleurs du mal just get a side-by-side edition and slowly learn the french that way. a lot of it is intuitive

>for fleurs du mal just get a side-by-side edition and slowly learn the french that way. a lot of it is intuitive
im a native english speaker and proficient in french. i have the oxford version of this and its useless. so much liberty was taken in the translation. side by side translations should be literal and word for word accurate. whoever translated for oxford might as well have made up his own poems, so I end up looking up every word I don't know anyways.

should have just gotten a folio edition

I like reading poetry in translation when I'm familiar with the translator's work.

For instance, Ezra Pound's translations of Chinese poetry are fantastic reading