Why are the results always so cringeworthy when manbaby comic book artists attempt to do literature?

Why are the results always so cringeworthy when manbaby comic book artists attempt to do literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Apmyg_IuWQI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He already communicated everything worth communicating in Promethea and this documentary:
youtube.com/watch?v=Apmyg_IuWQI

It's already on the top 100 list, enough with the reverse psychology baiting

You didn't actually read past the first chapter, did you?

I admit it, it's good. It's good, okay? Is that what you wanted me to say? There you go.

It's a good enough book. Now toss off.

>hasn't read it or doesn't get the point
Most likely the former

It's just an outgrowth of the old "comics aren't literature, fuck off" meme (despite Moore doing his level best to leave the comics industry behind and try new things - last I heard he was going to get into poetry, which sounds intriguing.

Voice of the Fire is great though

I'd read a collection if he did one the poem chapter in Jerusalem was great

Im sure it is on the top 100 along with xmen 7 and dynamite rocket man

It's not a comic and that's not an argument

/co/ck-suckers love it

>>>>>>>>>>>

They have a love hate relationship with Moore, since he has written about the best shit out there comics wise, yet is happy to call adult comic book readers and capeshit movie goers manchildren.

As for the book it's a rough diamond but the good bits and ideas more than make up for the more awkward bits. Plus I'm a sucker for niche story shit,

Best chapter?

Worst chapter?

Clouds unfold is the best chapter. Don't there was any chapters I didn't enjoy

Just finished that chapter. You weren't kidding, that was absolutely brilliant.
>Does the phrase 'clearance area' mean anything to you?
I also just found out Moore did a live reading of it in 2012.

Moore isn't a comic book artist.

This meme has been discussed to death months back. Unless you're fresh from r/books

Sage

Because literature is a difficult artistic medium, comic books fans just want a bunch of actions and cool misogynistic language and scenarios.

>misogynistic

Opinion discarded

because /co/ can't Veeky Forums

This. I haven't even read Jerusalem yet but Moore deserves a lot of praise for Voice of the Fire

That's how I found about the book over the summer it's honestly such a beautiful peace of writing. One of my other favourite parts was the part of the chapter named "The trees don't need to know" where little drowned Marjorie wondered how the trees felt about all the action going on around them and how all they can do is grow outward into time.
>discussed
No people who haven't read it and have written it off because of Moore's prior involvement in the comics industry. They just meme it even ops comment is this >hasn't read it and is judging it by the fact the author used to write comics although this new project is not aimed at that audience

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Why do you care so much about this idiot? Literally red.dit-tier clickbait thread

He's right though. You probably remember the passage where the detective guy who had loved comics as a kid had wanted to see his favourite characters,now as an adult surrounded by his fantasy he wanted nothing to do with it.

>Opinion discarded

Opinion discarded

>actions and cool misogynistic language
I'm not the guy you're replying to but none of this is in the book

Please. These Veeky Forums assholes just need a new author to denounce every other day. Moore is the perfect scapegoat because he's so successful despite having an unconventional reputation. These people would rather express some vague notions of superiority of literature over comics rather than discuss any actual books

It was'nt too bad desu. The man can write some beautiful descriptions

Seems to be that people who haven't read the book just memeing it for no reason other than to feel superior. Great book though for anyone willing to actually read it

I'm not English so I'm not sure I'll be able to appreciate Moore's period-specific and location-specific references. Might give it a shot though

I'm Irish and there's plenty of colloquial stuff and culture stuff but as for period specific there are parts in the 1800s, early 1900's and around 800ad or so I don't remember if that chapter gave a specific date. If the blurb interests you and you're the kind of person who knows you'll read the whole thing I'd highly recommend it

I already have the eBook because the hard copy is heftier than i am. I guess I'll just give it a go when I'm free. Thanks for the heads up

No bother, hope you enjoy it my dood

>artists

>also implying he was one

This can't be real. It just cannot be.
Does Veeky Forums find value in the parts I found to be the worst of all Moore's writing? His inane psycho-babble about metaphysic/spiritual-science nonsense - good?! I don't think so...

I haven't read it fully, but reading a passage and hearing some be read by him, I just don't think it would be something that I like; but still I'd like to know if it ever changes or if it isn't SO intensely obtuse. I love Alan Moore.

>I haven't read it fully
I think I've diagnosed the problem desu

NO SHIT - I'm asking if it ever changes up, because if he chose to promote passages of the book that sound like Moore-babble than I think it's not so crazy to be worried the rest of the book is like that.

It uses a different voice for each viewpoint character, of which there are many. e.g. numerous chapters are from working class people's or children's perspectives and aren't written in a 'psycho-babble' style at all.
I am 777 pages in. I wouldn't call anything thus far 'intensely obtuse', there are just some passages that need to be read carefully. The whole book revolves around one fairly straightforward idea which the viewer is helped to understand thoroughly.
By telling many different stories and setting up links between all of them, it expresses a deeper vision which is both fascinating and life-affirming. It has fantastic characters observed with Moore's usual skill and detail.

sick, that sounds awesome. I was just scared it was three books (see: tome) of some of the more expressionistic parts of Swamp Thing.

How did Clouds unfold sound like babble?

You haven't even read the best bit yet my dood keep hammering through

I don't know what that is.

I can see how someone might be very confused by the first bit, if they didn't have the context of the previous volume explaining what the builders are and who Mikael is. It slips into a more natural style when it moves on to talking about history (basically recapping the book) though.
In general I think it's probably easier to read than to hear spoken aloud.

Stop hyping me up man, I can't deal.

The chapter he reads in the video of him reading it. The chapter is 900 pages in and doesn't make complete sense out of context but honestly one of the best things hes ever written. Sorry to answer your question dickishly above I was only joking.

Lucia chapter is also great as a word of advice when you get to it just let your eyes roll across the words don't over analyse it focus on how the words sound not be they're written

>implying I don't already have my Lucy-lips

It's next level in that chapter tho. As he said himself it's an imitation that pales in comparison to FW but it's so fitting to get the pay off after the earlier mentions of Lucia

kek

its okay. I thought you must have meant that, but I didn't know for sure either. I'm interested in reading the book now.

Good at least people are starting to take an interest. Its not all metaphysical memery but that's the stage on which the book takes place

>Lucia chapter is also great
I couldn't into it for some reason

Did you get what was going on or did just not like how it was written?