Veeky Forums, I'm 500 pages in and I want to give up

Veeky Forums, I'm 500 pages in and I want to give up.

I feel like the story has completely disintegrated.

I'm tired of reading the rambling, inane prose, of a man who is obviously smarter than I will ever be.

Honestly just read a plot synopsis up to where you've read. You're too far in to stop my dude.

The last section creates that perception intentionally. It's still worth pushing through to the end. My favourite finish of any book

Check out TheBookChemist on Youtube

Have they eaten poop yet?

I don't get your last sentence. If you can't read someone smarter than you then probably you should quit reading books altogether.

>I'm tired of reading the rambling, inane prose, of a man who is obviously smarter than I will ever be.

he certainly didn't get that smart by giving up on things.

Do not give up. In order to navigate the dangerous labyrinth that is the modern world, you must understand Gravity's Rainbow. Think I'm "trolling"? Think this is all a big joke? No, it isn't. You must understand why Funny Name Man Goes Down Toilet and why there's a pie fight in the middle of the serious war. War is serious. Pie fights are not serious. Are you getting it yet?! They don't belong together! All this wacky shit is highly meaningful and important. It's about math and the military-industrial complex, the themes of our day. Pynchon was a soothsayer predicting in 1973 that war was absurd and bad. No one had ever said that before. People thought it was good. Then Pynchon came along. He was saying in 1973!!!-- Can you believe how early he was saying it?! -- that the military-industrial complex was getting to be a bit of a problem. In 1973. He didn't win a MacArthur "Genius" Grant for nothing, man. Study the book. Get on it.

kek'd

Washington was saying that in his Farewell Address and the government says that First American Founding Daddy was the General of Napoleon's French Revolution from the people, or so they would have us believe that God blessed slavery and the Pioneers that cured cancer while Donald Trump is laughing all the way to the bank!

I like the cut of your gibberish, pal

Gotta hand it to Gravity's Rainbow.

I know it's a meme novel around here, but man, it changed my life. I'd grown up thinking reading was homework. A novel was drudgery for me. This attitude lasted way into my high school years, a time when if I wasn't asleep in class I was skipping and hanging out in a buddy's basement doing bong hits. We'd play this game where we would get high and make up a crazy scenario like, OK, what if everything was very serious, right, like it was a serious place and time and everywhere you looked everything was highly serious, but what if at exactly the point when everything was at its most serious and you expected the next moment to continue the trend of utmost seriousness, what if, at that very moment, a gorilla wearing a fez on a giant unicycle rode by. My friends and I would collapse into convulsions of laughter, punching each other and slapping our knees. "No! Stop it! Fucking stop it!" a teary red face would choke out. We called it The Game, and normally we only played it while we were blazed in a basement, but once in a while we would play it in school.

One fateful afternoon a few of us numbskulls had detention together. We sauntered in (high, of course) and sat down to serve our time. At some point we started to play The Game, right there in detention. Our supervisor, an English teacher who was known for being kind of a hardass, was for some reason being super chill that afternoon. We occasionally got pretty loud with our laughter, but not even once did he tell us to keep it down. He just sat there at the desk reading a newspaper. We even got a few chuckles out of him. Then, with fifteen minutes left of our sentence, he folded up the newspaper, came over to us, and sat down on a desk. He was holding a thick book. "Here," he said, "I think you guys might get a kick out of this." We read the cover: Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. OK, we said. We were skeptical, but we took the book.

I was the first one to read it. My mind was blown. This guy Pynchon had been playing The Game since the early 70s. You think that since the book's about World War II that it's going to be all serious. But then you're like, wait, whaaaat? Did that guy just go down the toilet? Why is there a pie fight during the serious war? Why is there weird sex happening? Weed? This guy Pynchon blew all our random scenarios out of the water. I gave it to the other guys to read, and we agreed to stop playing The Game entirely. We decided to leave it to the master. Thomas Pynchon, whoever you are, we salute you.

If you're 500 pages in and thinking about giving up then just give up. You want find anything different in the last ~270 pages.

kek

I'm glad Pynchon adheres to your A.D.D, and I understand he is introducing ridiculous situations into a serious situation to show the ridiculousness of war, but I can only read so much random shit before I get disinterested.

I liked it when Slothrop was with his team, that story made sense.

The whole conspiracy theory, while funny, has gotten a tad ridiculous.

Noah? This isn't you, is it?

Yes, and I just CANNOT seem to stop pooping in my undiewears :(

>I feel like the story has completely disintegrated

That's the point, also

>reading for plot

>hasnt gotten to byron the lightbulb
>hasnt gotten to lyle blands out of body experiences
>hasnt gotten to the fragmentation of slothrop

This.
For this, but also in general.

Does anyone have pics of this edition and if so could you drop them I would greatly appreciate it

it's pasta you mong