Do cell phones cause cancer? Is there any plausible way for micro waves, radio waves...

Do cell phones cause cancer? Is there any plausible way for micro waves, radio waves, or infrared waves to cause cancer in any amount or location?

Other urls found in this thread:

bioinitiative.org/report/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/RFR-11_28-research-summary.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroporation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroporation#Physical_mechanism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yeah, I plan to move to Zimbabwe where there is no infrastructure to create radio radiation

No serious replies?

this was a serious reply

The more conventional claim is that power (SAR) could do something.

The controversial claim is that DNA structures and the permeability of the cell membrane are affected by the high frequencies involved in the modulation of radio signals (square waves introduce, as seen in its Fourier transform, high frequencies).
"... it activates voltage gated calcium channels (L-type especially), probably by acting on the charge groups that make up their voltage sensing subunit. This leads to chronically elevated intracellular Ca2+, increased activity of calcium dependent cellular machinery, an increase in NO production, which then reacts with superoxide to form peroxynitrite. This occurring at an increased rate, chronically, will ravage cells and quickly increase the probability that its repair machinery will either be inactivated, overwhelmed, or have an issue it cannot fix."

Source

bioinitiative.org/report/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/RFR-11_28-research-summary.pdf

Wtf does this mean?

That electroporation might happen with a lot smaller energies than before suspected.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroporation

But visible light is a higher frequency. Shouldn't it be more dangerous?

The lower the frequency, the better it penetrates.
That's why radio waves go through a door, but light doesn't.
On the other hand, with a similar amplitude, the lower frequency carries less energy.
The claim is that microwave frequencies are in the sweet spot in between - low enough frequency to penetrate well (they go through doors just like radio waves) but are still energetic enough to cause problems.

I've been wondering about this myself because. Cellphones use microwaves, which are pretty high energy but not ionizing, so they probably aren't changing your molecules, meaning they're not directly causing cancer. Still though, people who have been chronically hyperexposed to microwaves tend to have increased cancer rates, so I doubt it can be good for us.

>unscientific report by a bunch of ideologists
>not even peer reviewed

just read the wikipedia. It basically sums up all the unconclusive research and unverified hypotheses. No need to click this guy's link.

frequency doesn't have anything directly to do with ability to penetrate things. The reason why a wall stops IR, UV, and visible light but not radio or gamma is because atoms (more specifically electron shells) are especially reactive to photons in that range of wavelengths. Radio waves are so low energy that electron energy levels laugh at them. Since they are unresponsive to electrons, there's really nothing else to stop them unless they happen to strike the nucleus. That fact is why radios don't cause cancer. They travel right through bonds because their energy is far too low to stimulate electrons in any way (weird resonance situations like microwaves notwithstanding, but that manifests as heat and not altering of chemical bonds, so it doesn't make a difference anyway)

your body literally emits infrared energy, to claim microwaves causes significance damage form outside sources in ludicrous

>manifests as heat and not altering of chemical bonds

maybe, maybe the resonance could cause something like the images in
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroporation#Physical_mechanism
to happen

anything higher frequency than visible is getting shifty, but anything lower level shouldn't be any more dangerous than visible light.

That sounds like bullshit

Can the power from dozens of cell phones inside of a train car accumulate and be powerful enough to cause cancer if you're there for hours and hours?

those assume SAR effects

Not what is talked about, might be more about resonance

see

Doesn't it depend on if wavelengths are low enough and energies are high enough such that they fuck with electrons?

I thought that was the idea.

no, that would be power (SAR)

The effect that is speculated about is overactivating Ca2+ input in cell membranes, creating something similar to electroporation but at much lower energies.
Might be some kind of resonance.

see

From all of the YouTube videos I've watched, no. Any study that has said it does was poorly done. This is the same as CT scans killing you. Any study that claims they do are badly done and give no remotely reliable evidence to make such claims.

What is MORE dangerous? Cosmic radiation from several hours on a plane or the microwaves from dozens of phones in a train car for multiple days straight?

How's it bullshit?

Higher in energy/frequency than visible light becomes UV, which is enough to free radicalize, which is shitty to organic stuff.

Look how the life expectency plummeted after the use of radio wave on a massive scale!

>Tfw nobody can answer this for me

I've been thinking about it for a week and don't k ow enough about this stuff to figure it out. Cosmic radiation IS cancerous and we know that for a fact, but only at high doses. The radiation that cell phones emit, people are claiming cause cancer but others claim the energy isn't high enough. Could 100 cell phones in a train car reflect all of their microwave radiation into you and cause cancer? Is it MORE dangerous than flying on a plane?

Are statistics like that really a good indication?

People who stood next to gigantic radio cones in world war 2 for the warmth didn't get cancer. They got cataracts. Your eyes don't have a way to dissipate the heat from a fucking huge radio cone, so you develop cataracts. None of those people ever got cancer though, and I would think those people would be by far without a doubt the most susceptible if we're going to compare it to some stupid cell phones. Any study that irresponsibly claims shit like this is ALWAYS poorly done with plenty of flaws. The results they give are useless.