I'm convinced people only read in public to get noticed

I'm convinced people only read in public to get noticed.

Other urls found in this thread:

saintcomix.com/37.html#page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You'd be wrong, and a tad paranoid. Get out more, weeb.

Ride the Paris Metro someday, pleb. Plenty of people with their noses in books. No surprise, since the French have a near perfect culture filled with rich treasures for the mind and soul. Shameless Francophile here.

I'm convinced that if I read in public, someone will judge me and assume i'm just trying to get noticed.

Thanks for confirming op, ill continue to use the kindle app on my phone to read in public.

Shameless indeed

It depends on so many things. It's as silly as being a woman and assuming any man that approaches you is trying to rape you, let alone romantically pursuing you.

Yes, some people DO read in public for attention. But others just like places that aren't a) their place of living or b) a public library. And then, there are people that read in public transit, who are doing so because they have the time to do so and don't want to spend their ride listening to music, diddling on their phone, or staring at nothing.

>Paris Metro

Most disgusting thing I've ever been on.

I like to carry a book with me. I eat at a diner near my house and I read when I eat. It is nice and ritualistic. If they assume I am doing it for attention sake, that's on them. Leave me to my tuna melt.

true

i only watch anime to fit in with /a/

I read in public at my favorite coffee shop. They have perhaps the best americano I have ever had (and I have had quite a few) and excellent coffee in general and there used to be a used bookstore next door but it recently moved, which is a tragedy but not enough to stop me. I was spoken to once by an older man while reading The World According to Garp (it's maybe my mother's favorite novel) and he mentioned that he hadn't seen it since he read it in school, which had to have been in the 60s or early 70s, and that he had a signed copy. So I offered to buy it, and $120 later I gave it to my mother for a birthday present. Sometimes it's good to be noticed.

You've never been on the NY subway

No shit. The world is a stage after all.

more like
>it's as silly as being a man and trying to shoehorn in an ignorant statement about women in a completely unrelated thread
please project your insecurities elsewhere

I do it because the ambience of certain public spaces feels really nice. Nobody's paying attention to me but I like being around them.

People also read in private to get noticed. They want to feel smarter to have discussions with smarter people, or learn stuff to impress people.
People who read in public at least show their taste.

Not really, I've only seen about 4 people reading when I was there. Madrid was full of people reading books and e-readers, though.

Sadly this

I am convinced people post in Veeky Forums to get noticed.

How? Is an anonymous website

Faggot

Not really, Madrid was full of american girls on exchange. fucking peasants come to ruin our continent

lmao

Filthy tourist detected

m8 I smoke 20+ a day in a shoebox apartment which I'm pretty sure isn't required to be up to code because the building's so old; I already wash nicotine and whatever drips from the ceiling in the corner off my walls and doors weekly, so fuck you if I go read in a café now and then.

Ok, you got my attention. Now what?

you two kiss :3

I know its narcissistic, but I can only stand to read 'worthy' literature when other people are looking at me. If I'm alone, I'll get bored and look at my phone or something.

So when I want to read a 'great' book, I'll sit in a coffee shop or somewhere else people can see me - the eyes of strangers keep me focussed.

I read Crime And Punishment over the course of 3 days where I spent hours and hours every day sitting on the Circle metro line going round and round without ever getting off to read my book in front of strangers.

Is that weird?

Is pathetic. People gives a fuck

Yeah i know its sad. But it gets me reading, so I'm loath to stop.

The first time I went to Paris when I was 17, I saw an elderly man covered in dirt, in a long trench coat, with a giant stuffed tiger hanging around his shoulders like he just won it at the state fair, peeing on a vending machine and screaming in peoples faces, thankfully on the opposite side of the stop. Nobody at all seemed too concerned.

>I read Crime And Punishment over the course of 3 days where I spent hours and hours every day sitting on the Circle metro line going round and round without ever getting off to read my book in front of strangers.

I guess you've never lived in New York City.

I read and public and do not give a fuck. I don't think you've done very much thinking on the subject if you are "against" it. There are many reasons to read in public. I enjoy reading outdoors more than indoors. I enjoy the fresh air and the sounds of nature, especially if its running water. There are also time constraints to consider. Reading on public transport is nice because you have to be there anyway, why not read. Someone reading in a shop might be on their lunch break from work. Do you want them to go home just so they don't offend you by not being as unfoundedly judgmental as you are? I am a college student. I read in between classes because it makes no sense to go to my apartment for 45 minutes. I have read in public for more than 5 years now. Only once did a person start talking to me about it. Other public readers almost certainly have the same experience. No one who has read in public for a long time is doing it for attention because they know they will get none.

If you are criticizing public readers for wanting attention, you are a retard. 99% of people are non-readers. These non-readers do not notice people reading. They do not care. Other readers are not impressed or disgusted by what you are reading. Pleb readers will just think "oh, haven't heard of that :^)" and go back to reading John Green. "Serious" readers will see "entry level pleb shit" (in Veeky Forums's words) and think "Oh cool, I loved Catch-22! Hope that guy enjoys it!" The only person who creates a mental model of public readers consisting of "that guy must be looking to impress other people! he probably isn't even reading or doesn't enjoy it!" is a mentally handicapped, unsociable retard who can only relate to other anime-loving faggots with unwarranted senses of superiority. If you see me reading in public, feel free to think I'm a pretentious attention whore. No one cares about you if your judgment is this shitty.

Some guy was reading a book at Fados Irish Pub in Brickell. I guess he was waiting for one of the pretty bartenders to ask him what he was reading. It never happened. Poor bastard.

This. I read on my phone to blend in with the plebs.

>reading anna karenina while in chemo
>nurse asks if I'm showing off by choosing to read russian lit in an already stressful situation
>no, but for real I am just a little bit
>it was a good book

>next appointment was reading trashy fantasy

>French have a near perfect culture filled with rich treasures for the mind and soul.

Is this Veeky Forums?
saintcomix.com/37.html#page

keylogger stole my ebooks

Sounds kind of fun to me man. Fuck it

Then you have lived in comfort all your life and are too dense to think of others.

Some people have shitty living situations and want to read away from home where there is peace and stability

Okay, Tumblr

Why didn't you put that awful cunt in her place?

You some kind of faggot?

Why would I want to read around shitty people when I can read at a cafe?

I read in public not to have to notice people like you.

What about your girlfriend?

>Why would I want to read around shitty people
>cafe

I find the most secluded place possible to read.

I especially would never go to a cafe because insufferable faggots like you lurk there.

on the money desu

tl;dr

It was a dude who is like 60 and he has top-tier wit. He was just poking fun because that's how he keeps everyone in the room from getting depressed because they have cancer.