I did some sleuthing found a LOT of literary agents represent each other...

I did some sleuthing found a LOT of literary agents represent each other. Most of them have interned or been involved in each others agencies at one point. WTF. How unfair is this shit? It has become clear to me that no one really has a chance.

yes, it is completely unfair and the odds are stacked against you. they have their own agendas they are trying to push, they have their own styles they are trying to push, they will stop reading your manuscript at the earliest opportunity and move on to the other hundred in the stack alongside it.

your options are: deal with it and hope you somehow trick them into representing you OR self-publishing.

#Girlboss

"I read books"

>most agents represent each other
As opposed to agents representing themselves or going unrepresented?
>worked at other agencies
No shit, people start somewhere and change jobs depending on pay and other things.
You're choosing the dumbest shit to bitch about and say you have no chance. None of this actually effects your chances, stop crying and makung excuses for being a no talent hack.

It is corruption and colluding, the same shit we get in politics.

deal with it nerd. or dont be a writer. if you had the connections you know for damn sure you would use them too.

Thank you for dispelling this bullshit

In no way is that corruption or colluding

this is how it works in fields like these. its even worse in sports btw

Is networking inherently immoral?

It's always been extremely difficult to get published, I don't know why you're making a federal case out of this.

How do I get shitty books sent to me for review or to simply show off?

I'm BulletDeer, a legitimate booktuber.

you fools, there are lets say 10 slots, if 9 out of 10 slots are vanity picks by choosing your personal friends, then getting published is just a lottery. that is what I am saying it is the same in every industry and this shit must stop.

I'm not sure if I believe this particular meme. You ever read Ellroy's early books? Or even Saul Bellow's? Very underwhelming stuff. Not to mention early Franzen and early DeLillo (who even so much as said that he couldn't have gotten his stuff published today).

So what's changed? How come there are more books being published now than ever before in history (this is a true fact) and it could be "the best time ever to be a writer" (not a fact but something I heard coming out of the mouth of a real NYC agent), and yet none of these famous writers could have gotten a start in this atmosphere? Really makes you think.

If I had to guess it would be the feminization of the publishing and literary worlds. Just as female intelligence is grouped around the middle of the bell curve, with fewer idiots but fewer geniuses, so literature has followed: lots of highly polished mediocrity, less risks taken because risks could end up on either end of the bell curve.

You're just an idiot.

You are also an idiot

>you fools, there are lets say 10 slots, if 9 out of 10 slots are vanity picks by choosing your personal friends, then getting published is just a lottery

>if

>and this shit must stop.

"This shit" is called careers. People know people in their industries because they work in their industries. It'll stop when the whole world runs on Amazon Dashâ„¢ buttons, like NEET GOD intended.

Idiot alert

If men are intellectually superior then why are they getting cucked by a female conspiracy?

Honestly this sounds like pure resentiment.

I never said men were superior, I said that male intelligence generally produces more results at EITHER end of the spectrum of intelligence.

Just because something is culturally dominant at the moment doesn't mean it is superior from an objective standpoint -- might does not make right on either a personal or societal level. True culture, in a healthy society, is about more than just who is cucking who. I mourn what seems to have been lost, that's all. I doubt you could find many people here who aren't filled with similar levels of resentiment.

because of white knights

The annoying thing about it is that these people who are in these circles have not studied their craft, techniques, its history. I don't even know why they do what they do since they care more about the social media component of it.

I found it funny that houellebecq found agents, publishers and succes with such ease. His first books are heavily misogynistic. And not just one character, no filled with ramblings against women. That was +-20years ago, so not that far in the past. If he could get his shit published anyone can desu