Alright, I'm going to do it, Veeky Forums. Where should I start with this madman...

Alright, I'm going to do it, Veeky Forums. Where should I start with this madman? My goal is to eventually read the Critique. Who should I have read before? What are the best secondary sources to get a better grasp of him? Which is the best translation? I'd appreciate any feedback from you semon demons.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/d__In2PQS60
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read Hitler instead

Start at the beginning of modern philosophy which requires the start of the medieval philosophy so then start with the greeks but make sure to start with the pre socratics. A working knowledge of early greek history will help. I think some knowledge of Babylonian philosophy will help you understand the most fundamental of questions too though, so maybe start with them first.

hahaha whoa there man! quite the shocker aint you? whoa-ho-ho there, really makes you think doesn't it? oh, haha I get it, you were posting ironically xD you wacky lil guy, you. haha these kids and their funny little "memes" these days I swear xD

A similar idea came to me last night, OP. Except I want to into Hegel. With Kant, I am going to limit myself to 1) his Critique of Pure Reason, the Norman Kemp Smith translation and 2) Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics (Hackett). Feel pretty overwhelmed. Anyone have any advice on how to into Hegel?

Descartes, Hume, and then start with the Prolegmena, then the Critiques should fall in order.

>liberal retard detected

Thinking about using this dude's videos.

Just read the Phenomenology slowly. Make frequent reference to Findlay's analysis included in that yellow edition. Then read the greater Logic.

I recommend the Mueller translation of CPR. I've read excerpts from other translations and I prefer the Mueller over all of them. He manages a great balance between fidelity to the original syntactical structure of Kant's arguments, readability, and conceptual coherence. His transformation of heavily polysemic German substantives into English substitutes that manage to handle much of the same weight is...carried off particularly well, especially in comparison to the attempts made by other translators.

You need to have a good understanding of the earlier rationalists and empiricists, this is the minimum desu.

reading hegel takes about 10 years of study in wizardry

There are a lot of videos on Kant. Here try this guy too.

youtu.be/d__In2PQS60

why do you feed obvious trolls?

>my goal is to read "the Critique".

There are multiple critiques, faggot. Which one do you have in mind? Or did you think that he wrote only one?

>My goal is to eventually read the Critique
YOU KNOW, HE HAS THREE CRITICS

Congratulations, another pleb showed up

How can you be this plebe?

I'd recommend the Pluhar translated (Hackett publishing). Its not as "litteral" as the one's people typically recommend, where they try to translate the same German word into the same English word throughout - which, imo, isn't a good thing because the same German words can be used in different ways, and these different ways won't match up exactly with the same uses of the chosen English word. Anyway, the Pluhar translation reads much better in English than the other translations (which is more important if you're starting out as well) and doesn't sacrafice in technical meaning. Also, the editing work on the Hackett editions is very good, which is helpful starting out, too.

Start with his Lectures on Ethics,Metaphysics and Logic,be sure to read Hume,he's very easy to read.Don't listen to this guy

>Where should I start with this madman?
with a microscope
hitler was literally a genius though

Prolegomena is the most accessible text to get into Kant, IMO. Of course some idea of the rationalist/skepticist debate beforehand helps when reading Kant, but people have already assaulted you with those lists of names.

This. If you get started now and only read the most critical works of each period, you should get to Kant in 5-10 years, depending on how much time you have available.

>facial ticks
>glasses
>going off of his own book

Checks out, he knows his Kant.

you start by throwing it in the trash

You could easily start directly with kant. Don't listen to this idealistic bullshit. Buy a couple of introductory books and then read the critiques. Make sure to write down all the terms because the kantian meaning is different from the common one. (intellect for example)