When is it ok to drink from the soup bowl in public? I get that with western dishes it wouldn't be acceptable...

When is it ok to drink from the soup bowl in public? I get that with western dishes it wouldn't be acceptable. But what about pho or ramen? Or this weird Korean soup? What is the etiquette here?

Korean food should be served with a spoon.

This is a fair point. But the spoon kind of sucks. It doesn't suck as bad as the mini-ladle things you get at pho and ramen places though.

Just observe old asian dudes
I've been in a Pho shop and seen old vietnamese dudes scarf that shit down and drink the entire bowl, no spoon needed

When in doubt, just do as they do

I've noticed this as well. I've reached the tentative conclusion that it's ok with ramen and pho. But I wonder if there's some general rule.

If a rice farmer made it, slurping is fair game.

>But I wonder if there's some general rule.
You mean a general rule across an entire continent with cultures that are thousands of years old and have reached their own cultural consensus on what is appropriate or not in regards to their unique cuisines?

no

Depends where you are in Korea. If you're near a US army base, you can eat like a barbarian pig and people expect it, so they won't give you shit. You go out into less frequented areas where most americans fear to tread, they'll knock the bowl out of your hands and send you scampering.

i've noticed most asians are pretty loud when they eat, slurping shit up all the time and making audible sounds. definitely seen them bring the bowl to themselves too and drink it.

If you don't look or act like you belong to the same race as the food, you were probably served something less in terms of quality and quantity compared to someone else who looks and acts the part and ordered the same thing. Nothing to reciprocate there.

Shut up you uncultured fuck

As a Asian bro I will tell you, you can eat pho however you like you can use the big Vietnamese soup spoon or just drink in from the bowl. If you are white and you're able to use chopstick that will make any viet that see you eat with chop stick proud. Most important part is tip, minimum of 2 bucks for each person I can't tell you how much they will complain if you don't tip. Specially if you are mexican, viet people at restaurant keep complaining how there are 4-8 mexican family member coming in but never leave any tip etc.

Another thing adding to above if you are in Vietnam the country no need to tip. They will look at you weird if you do. Eat however you like they don't expect much from you as a foreigner. But they are proud if they see a white cracker using chopstick.

>thinking this hard about what to do with a bowl of soup

Top notch autism in this thread. You paid for the shit, just sip it. Don't be a slob, but don't sit at the table picking it up and putting it down with a confused look on your face like some retard.

Don't act black, gettho, and loud. Asian people don't like black mannerisms.

>Asian people don't like black mannerisms.
some of them do

No one cares about that shit anymore. Enjoy your food how you want

>not Asian speaking for Asians
Speak for yourself, I bet you have never left your room let alone been outside the country. Most Asians think black people are dirty and gettho trying to rob your ass the second you get in contact with them huehuehue.

When they seem receptive, it's really satirical mockery

as a mexican... FUCK YOU!

:) LOL i worked at my friends vietnamese pho store, and i don't care if people tip or not, especially knowing fell well a lot of vietnamese parents hire their cousins, niece, or kids to work. So they get mad at me cause i dont tip even though they got a easy ass job?

FUCK YOU! my mom and dad could onyl give me fuckign SHIT jobs like janitor.

*sips beer*

*sees girls laughing having mojito looks with envy*
* "im a man so i have to like this piss" sips again and holds in tears*

>tfw you take a girl to a ramen place and the spoon ends up submerged in the bowl

You should wonder about how to drink from a glass of water in public. It is an important issue and many people don't know the basics of etiquette regarding this sensible topic.

For me, it's a pure glass of water.

Mostly filipinos and chiney people though.

Its appropriate whenever the broth is so good you can't not drink every last fucking drop. A good broth is just about one of the single greatest pleasures on the planet. If someone wants to keep you from that, they can go fuck themselves.