>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
>General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/545wxe/more_books_like_the_traitor_baru_cormorant/
idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Finity's End.

C.J.Cherryh's merchanter books are underrated.

Second for Rothfuss is shit Sanderson is anime

I was recommended Ready Player One by a friend, and the guy's other book, Armada. What do you guys think of these books?

Just acquired 14 Harlan Ellison books, which should I read first?

>Approaching Oblivion
>Children of the Streets
>An Edge in My Voice
>Ellison Wonderland
>From the Land of Fear
>Harlan Ellison's Movie
>Harlan Ellison's Watching
>Memos from Purgatory
>No Doors, No Windows
>Paingod and Other Delusions
>Partners in Wonder
>Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed
>Stalking the Nightmare
>Troublemakers

New one next year too

As an addendum, I also wanna read Dune, and possibly some Arthur C. Clarke/Philip K. Dick.

They're pretty much just a vehicle for Kline to list as many 80s pop-culture references as he can think of. Like that Adam Sandler movie where Pac-Man and Space Invaders attack the city, except in book form.

What are some books like The Traitor Baru Cormorant

Buried Giant is shit kill yourself faggot

reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/545wxe/more_books_like_the_traitor_baru_cormorant/

Linking reddit because the first reply is the actual author

What did you dislike about it?

The ones that include the stories in this book.

Is Wheel of Time sexist considering that both women and men are regularly spanked until their asses are cherry red?

I am excite.
Would love a new Fortress or Chanur book. Dreams I must deny to myself.

what authors would go on a 'Patrician Veeky Forums scifi' starter pack?

>Wolfe
>Vance
>Lem
>Ballard

>Le Guin?

Who else?

>both women and men

I think you answered your own question

I would say Cherryh, but it depends on what you're looking for.

Imma make one of those compilation images of suggestions for people who want to read scifi but don't want straight genre fiction. I guess I'd include Dhalgren on there too

>Bakker will never NTR you and impregnate your waifu

why live

It's literary fiction where the author wanted to throw in philosophy about "muh age" and "muh memory" and "muh loss".

He name drops a bunch of magical creatures and only gave you a pittance of a view of them.

"Axl I love you, damn this mist" "muh dead babies"

Fuck you kys fagget.

Is there any good collections of Greek mythology stories that are written in today's common english?

Not them but Buried Giant is just bad Ishiguro

I mean sure not many people try to do literary fiction as fantasy but it isn't a good attempt.

Dhalgren, botns, last unicorn, buried giant.

Percy Jackson

Ah, okay, I guess if you wanted a straight focus on the quest to kill the dragon it would be a bit disappointing - personally I loved the way it took that archetype and used it as a starting point to get into some deeper stuff (in general, I probably read more for muh themes than anything else). Fair play to you.

I have not read Buried Giant, but a lot of people in these threads seem to dislike it, whats the deal my family? I considered Never Let Me Go but most people have read that by now so I don't think it would be a good choice to include

no

Edith Hamilton, I guess - personally I'm hoping Gaiman will do a Greek, Celtic and Egyptian collection after "Norse Mythology" comes out.

seems like you're just mad that it didn't play into genre fiction tropes and actually tried to do something worthwhile. Ishiguro has always been minimalist with high concept shit

idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

I agree that RPO is trash but fucking hell

Like half of the genre books that website shits on are decent, some of them even good

What makes Ballard patrician? I've never read anyhing by him and am curious to know what makes him good.

His books use weird sci-fi shit as a metaphor for the human condition. Basically.

Read Crash. If you like it, read Drowned World.

SEXUAL FANTASIES IN CONNECTION WITH RONALD REAGAN. The genitalia of the Presidential contender exercised a continuing fascination. A series of imaginary genitalia were constructed using (a) the mouth parts of Jacqueline Kennedy, (b) a Cadillac, (c) the assembly kid prepuce of President Johnson…In 89% of cases, the constructed genitalia generated a high incidence of self-induced orgasm. Tests indicate the masturbatory nature of the Presidential contender’s posture. Dolls consisting of plastic models of Reagan’s alternate genitalia were found to have a disturbing effect on deprived children.

More lewd sci fi recommendations like user asked for in the last thread please

Space Raptor Butt Invasion.

How are his short stories? There seems to be a hefty tome of all his shorter stuff.

George Orwell

bro have you ever considered that maybe... genre fiction is bad?

fuckin mint

Is the Imager series worth reading?

I am looking for a fantasy epic that'll keep me entertained for a lot of books, don't mind a bit of cheese as long as it makes sense in context, but it definitely has to be "worth it" like WoT ends up being worth it because it gets there in the end.

Is there something out there like Lies of Locke Lamora except good? I like the idea of historical urban fantasy but it all looks so bad

Anything good for hard sci-fi? I've been reading a lot of Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds lately and while they're awesome, I'd like to try some more authors.

The Name of the Wind, desu.

Rogues of the Republic series by Patrick Weekes maybe?

Have you read Reynolds' RS short stories though?

out of curiosity, what is the setting on that? I have a strong preference for urban stories

At what point should you even create a new fantasy race, seems like all of them can be boiled down to not-Orcs and not-Elves, etc
You all have any examples of Fantasy shit that creates something unique while also being good? I'm curious

RPO is trash, but these guys are also fags.

Dagger and coin's worth a look if you just want an example

Entirely non-tolkien races largely just for the sake of ti

Mieille does a lot of stuff with lesser-known mythologies in the Bas-Lag books. Where Tolkien's stuff (which is what virtually everyone since has ripped off) was largely Norse/Celtic in origin, Mieville takes khepri from Ancient Egypt, vodyanoi from Slavic folklore, garuda from Indonesia, and so on. There's loads of weird races and creatures out there that JRR never touched.

hey man thanks good shit

Ive been looking for books and I just ordered like 3 off amazon from these lists

Is Age of Myth greek-inspired, or does it just use greek-ish names

>Stevian in Selected
Did you think we wouldn't notice??

>Second for Rothfuss is shit Sanderson is anime

Stop talking about things you hate and start talking about things you like. Stop polluting these threads with garbage.

I'm waiting for my library hold of the Difference Engine to show up. I'm pretty excited for it. Anyone here read it?

>nice trol...
>check
Who the fuck put that book in the charts? This is going too far. We don't troll people into buying books to fill one's pockets.
We come here to actually discuss shit and learn from others mistakes.

I swear anytime i see stevian posting in these threads I will report him from now on. This has gone far enough.

How far into a novel should the villain be introduced?

>how long is a piece of string?

They should be introduced precisely when they need to be.

What are some sci Fi books with a heavy focus on war and action?

I don't know but that middle book's cover is beyond amazing.

The Forever War

is GoT's worth reading? my mom is asking me what i want for christmas so i might as well ask for books and shit?

This thread tends to shit on ASoIaF because of the terrible TV show and the dumb stuff that GRRM comes out with regularly, but they're not bad books by any means. The story is entertaining, the locations and history is fun. I personally don't like how deliberately ugly the prose is at times, but lots of people seem to like that and think it's 'mature' or something.

do you already have the classics?
i'd rather go for tolkien than grrm, but to each his own.

Only you can evaluate if something is worth reading. A very simple metric to go by is if it doesn't interest you, don't bother.

David Drake does good stuff. The Hammer's Slammers series is the main draw (mainly about mercenary soldiers in tanks/APCs) but his other stuff is good. Seas of Venus is a short series (two books later collected into one IIRC) about PT boat crews trying to survive the immensely hostile jungle on a terraformed Venus, while his The Reaches series is about some Venusian space pirates in a sort of pseudo revolutionary America setting but in space.

The Lost Fleet series has some of the best fleet action stuff since the early Honor Harrington books. Everything else just sort of exists to provide filler between the battles though.

The Dread Empire's Fall series is good, space empire falls into civil war, focuses both on space combat and ground level guerilla operations.

The Spiral Wars series is about a commander of a starship mutinying and going rogue after his commanding officer is murdered by a conspiracy, I'm two books in and it seems pretty good so far.

Vatta's War is about a woman from a shipping family who gets kicked out of a naval academy in disgrace, so her family gives her a ship and sends her off to stop embarrassing them, but she ends up getting a letter of marque and forming a privateer fleet. Also she's a bit of a psychopath.

If you want something more in the vein of Aliens, I'd suggest the Lazarus War series, which is about soldiers using remote controlled bodies vs biotech aliens, or The IX, which is about groups of soldiers from various timelines (ancient Rome, 1860s US frontier, near future British commandos) getting abducted by aliens to fight demons.

For fantasy, all I can suggest is the Black Company series and the Deed of Paksenarrion. I don't read much fantasy.

>genre fiction tropes
>not worthwhile
And I don't even mean Hero's Journey. There are a million ways to have a fantasy story that isn't generic but isn't boring downer crap.

Sure, Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword. It's got elves fighting trolls in IRL northern Europe, but the elves are freakishly alien in their psychology and shudder at the sight of the cross, and the trolls are mysterious magical Finnish brutes. He cleaves closer to the sagas than Tolkien did and creates something incredibly refreshing to our jaded modern eyes.

Actually, has anyone done bird-men? I'd love to see that done well.

>anyone going to Amazon, seeing the book, paying 10 United States of America legal tender owl-and-pyramid dollars for it
they deserve it to be quite arch with you family

I've read some of Modesitt's SF and it is some of the driest prose I have ever read, and I liked Dune.

What is his Norse Mythology even?

Basically just stories from the Eddas retold with nicer prose.

Does he discuss the originals? Like a foreword for each story or something like that?

GoT is very boring at least in my opinion. I dropped the series and do not honestly see any merit in the books.

Don't know yet; it was only announced about a month ago. I'd imagine so, though, if the amount of stuff he puts in the intros of his short story collections is anything to go by.

Oh right, I read about it like a month ago and figured it release before christmas.

The face of a man who has grasped the absolute.

I wonder what kind of mind tricks does he use. That's the face of a man who could fuck any chick.

>tall
>big chin/jaw
>probably babbles philosophy to them
>"oh bakker-kun u so smart"

plus, after having read all kellhus's manipulative bullshit, there's no way bakker isn't familiar with the PUA industry

probably visit college campuses and slings his seed like pancake batter

Le Guin is trash
Add Blish and Brent Weeks

5 pages before the start of the novel

Philip Farmer, John Norman

Terry Pratchett is good read rite?

Yes, most of his stuff is good

Pretty good, they're enjoyable little slices of his world

>Add Blish
Who is that?

>reading any author with Terry in their name
>ever
You will learn..

James Blish, classic sci-fi writer.

If you add the Strugatsky brothers, and remove Vance, then it would be a nicely balanced selection of five authors, each of them representing of a distinct area of SF:

Wolfe (fantasy/dying earth/religious subtexts)
Lem (hard SF)
Ballard (British, new wave, psychology)
Le Guin (woman, utopian/political/soft SF)
Strugatsky (Soviet SF)

If a layman read one book by each of these five, he would surely find where his interests lie in literary ('patrician') SF. I would omit Vance because there is a broad overlap with Wolfe.

Half of these are communist propaganda (Lem is only partially).

Any gri book being released in December?

the ant race in Daughter of the Empire trilogy seems a good example.

Lem wasn't actively trying to produce propaganda, but his jaded worldview sort of ended up seeming like it. Same as Strugatskys really.

>reading Salem's LOT
>book is about a successful author who returns to his childhood town and cucks the virginity of a girl one of his childhood acquaintance was chasing
>acquaintance was after the girl for at least a year
>author gets pucci in less than a week, two at the most

Is King even trying with this blatant self insert? Jesus christ my sides need a full brace and plaster, they've been pulverized

There is literally nothing wrong with self inserts.

so i'm reading some arthurian shit in preparation for a screenplay that i am going to write, but i want to know if i've got the right books.

so far i have checked out:
the once and future king
sir gawain and the green knight (norton critical edition)
le morte d'arthur

anything else worth reading?

>it's another fucking Arthur movie