Why haven't you started writing a book yet?

why haven't you started writing a book yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/85040589
pastebin.com/y4K0xreC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'll get round to it one day

Too intelligent. Not impressed enough with any thought or story to the degree that I think it deserves a book.

I haven't read enough books. I will write my first book at 35

are memes a spook?

> wanted to do a script since two years ago
> watch and read (the scripts) masterpiece films in French, Spanish and English to get some idea.
>have everyday dreams about it.
>daydream all day about it
>tfw anxious and don't know how/where to start because I might not even be taken seriously
>still telling myself I'm young and I will find some motivation in the future even thought I know that might not be true.

every post i make on the internet is an entry in my book

does my diary count as a book?

you write because it is fun,because you have an idea you want to see expanded upon be it a world a character growing and you write to be better at writing.No doubt that your first attempts fall flat on their face or you never are quite able to finish it.We learn from past experiences,be they success or mistakes,so being and plot out that character arc you though of one day or that quirky character and how he fits into his world and learn from there what those daydreams can become as they are made deeper.Likely you'll never be taken seriously,almost all creative people aren't, but you have to write for yourself.

Obviously

I did a few months ago
Got 18k words in
Now it's on hiatus

I don't know how. Starting is always the most difficult part, I can easily write an essay for example once I've begun, but formulating it, orienting it, to be both concise and interesting, really just concentrated and good...it's incredibly daunting and always take me a long fucking time.

Nigga, film scripts are like 8,000 words long. Just do it. When Hollywood hacks complain about writing ten drafts of the same film that's still only about as long as one draft of a single novel.

Underrated idea. Sometimes I wonder how much of my development as an artist has been a result of improving my technique or simply growing the fuck up.

That being said, even knowing what I know now I wouldn't take that risk. Read The Portrait by Gogol: the later you start the harder it is to overcome the idea that you will never get good. You need to be as stupid and idealistic as only a 20-year-old can be.

t. under 35.

are spooks a meme?

Thanks, friend. I have nothing to lose. I will keep in mind this advice. Once again, thank you.

vimeo.com/85040589

This video might be a bit too cheesy for Veeky Forums's taste but I find it encouraging.

As for me, I feel like there are like 300 books I need to read, hundreds of short stories I need to write, and about a decade's worth of life experience I need before I even think about doing something like a novel.

Not ready yet. There's still so much to read. Maybe next year.

Live in the present - soon your dream about writing a book will be forgotten and you have moved on, and then you will look back and regret it. easier said than done though..

I've thought about it long and hard and decided that I don't have anything of value to say.

I did and it's pretty bad. Some of it might be salvageable as shorter works, especially since I intended it to be made of distinct episodes

I've started several
I've finished more than a chapter of none of them

I have. When I was younger/teenage years I always started but gave up after a page or two. Decided to just be an avid reader for awhile and now I'm 25, about to graduate college with a psych degree with no formal background in English or writing (other than a few electoral writing courses I took and I felt like I learned nothing other than a bunch of pretentious opinionated bullshit) and out of the blue one day just had an idea for a novel. The whole scene was just sort of laid out before me. So I said fuck it, and forced myself to write. The first couple of paragraphs were pretty hard, but I just kept forcing myself to put words on the page. That was 3 months ago. Eventually it got easier and now I feel like I have a real flow now. The writing just feels elementary now that I'm doing it. then I've made it a point to get at least 3000 words a week. I am now about 30k words in and feel like the story will probably wrap itself up around 70k given the current pace of the story. I plan on writing a few short stories(I have ideas/plots for about 10 right now) once I get this initial manuscript finished and plan on coming back to it with fresh eyes and mind after about a month of it sitting in my drawer. It's pretty crazy to think about. My main creative outlet is music and I've managed to make a living being a composer and recording artist for awhile, but I've always loved reading and one day I just sort of found my voice and made myself speak up.

Whats the point? No one is going to read it. Countless hours of effort for some smug sense of accomplishment? Fuck that

>have pictures in mind how your scenes are
>procrastinate on writing my screenplay

I've written four novellas and two books. Currently doing research for my third.

Bunch of little babies in this thread.

Finishing my third novel now.

Publish anything? If so, feel up to disclosing titles?

I'm 'four novellas, two books.' Nothing published yet and I don't self publish. I'm submitting to literary agents and while the feedback is nice they're still rejections. I'm currently trying my hand at getting published in lit magazines as well. I'll just keep going until something either clicks or doesn't. I just love to write.

Today I got a fortune cookie that said "Your wish is about to come true." Got home and typed up the first six hundred words. Here's hoping.

I've started making analytic videos on youtube about certain topics no one seems to be making. I'm not smart enough to create characters or imagine narratives, so it's good enough. Considering how many people make shitty and uninsightful opinions on youtube, I feel as though I'm special. I write for myself and for others to understand my opinions. It's worthwhile.

I can't write.

Because I write poems.

I have, actually. I'm a shit writer though so this'll take a long time to finish and edit to my liking.

Since over 70 years have passed since the death of the author, can I just slightly edit and update (add memes) the book and republish it?
Should be public domain.

Maybe I can make it suitable for the german market and make a buck there, and be a best selling author myself.

I've written erotica online, if that counts.

I may have masturbated to your imagination.

>tfw to smart to write book

>too smart to do shit all with my life

Got to 38000 words. Realised there was no real plot and i lack the intelligence to make it some examination of the human condition so got put off continuing

well...cuzz... i mean... i just... am... have been...

ill get to it. at least ill try.

*looks at feet*

It's hard mang

hey don't steal my cringe humor gimmick

I aim for short stories. I write whenever there is nothing else to do. I have the scenario completed in my mind, putting it into words is the hard part

I feel like i have to grow into writing literature; I'm waiting until I'm older and have more life experiences to pull from. This way I'm gonna be able to work on films and music and gradually practice storytelling technique in other mediums before moving onto literature.

No, they are the anti-spook.

The ideas are in my head, but I'm unable to properly transcribe them, try as I might, into words and sentences. I think I might have some kind of cognitive disorder.

Cut my life into pieces.

Mind sharing your vids with us, pal?

U wrote that pretty good kiddo

hot

well..... i meant... i just... was... had been...

ill stop it. at least ill try.

*looks at window*

I need to write.... I keep putting it off because after the last series of books I wasn't sure I could do it again. I want to be social but I just got a new job with strange hours and if I spend all my time writing like I have before, I'll lose another ten years of social interactions with those I care about.

treat it as a day job.
9 to 5.

I've written a book, currently editing the last chapters of it. It will change the course of philosophy forever.

Nobody on Veeky Forums will believe me.

i dont believe you

neither do I

I would write, but I'm a lazy moron. I do have ideas that I like but then when I write. Becomes the most clichéd piece ever. Just change the names and post to fan fiction.

Fan fiction people eat that shit up...

I want to believe you user. I want you to change the world.

bc i would never have nabokov-level prose and since nobody even reads him why bother writing for other people i could see if i felt some need to express myself to the world but i really don't i like expressing myself to people close to me and writing a good book is hard work and i'm better off putting my energy into more mundane simple things where i can make money although i still am all for readin

Because I know that if I try to write anything it will turn out to be a trite sack of self deprecating trash. The best I could do in my current mindset is create a clusterfuck of my emotional struggles and relationship failures written in shit prose. To actually write anything like that would only make me want to write less in the future.
Basically: I have no good ideas.

I have started, and have only gotten as far as writing the first chapter and about a fourth of the second. I like my ideas, but I often fear that my characters are too flat or that I'll end up having a giant plot hole I won't notice until someone points it out to me and I have to rewrite five chapters. I really want to be good, but fear the wrath of critical reception.

>the first chapter
i have 10 chapters of the 1st book [in a series of 9 books]
i also have a basic gist [i like to call it "skeleton"] of the rest of the 8 books of the series.
i also have prequel series in mind, but that will only come out once the original series is finished.

i have had it for 5 years now.
really have no idea when or how to move forward and may be write just 1 more chapter, fml

>have to rewrite five chapters
hahahahaha, afraid of writing only 5 fucking chapters! :-D
oh damn user, you make me laugh.

>fear the wrath of critical reception
FUCK WHAT THEY THINK.
now write whatever you want to.

Not all senses of accomplishment need to be smug, user. How about writing a book to accomplish something?

God's speed, user.

I have. It'll be done within the week. It's shit but at least I'll get paid.

>I'll get paid.
i can't believe we have a real writer in here.

oh praise be unto you, you great one.
guide us, lord, guide us.
give us pointers, please.

I'm not a real writer and I'm not talented enough to give anyone pointers.

I did.

I got about 20k words in before realizing that I couldn't do justice to the idea.

dude, you are getting paid.

that's much more than any one of us has even fantasized about.

i'm sure you can give us some pointers - especially on how to write that'll pay the bills.

recently finished my first book, been working on it since summer of last year
it's now 101k words long
I'll probably just self-publish because I'm a nobody and I don't think my plot would appeal to agents

that plot being, "alien girl visits earth and it turns out there's a race just like her on the earth that blends in with humans. she tries to make peace with them but it doesn't go well. que 300 pages of pondering the nature of man, surreal hallucinations and correlating human poverty to faith in religion."

I don't think you guys would really like it either, honestly.

Just submit it. What have you got to lose? At the least you'd stand to get some brief feedback.

I dunno man that sounds like something an artsy agent would be into. Your MC being female should guarantee at least a little interest. If you're not in a hurry to publish it online try to setup a meeting.

is the girl hot?
do you have any nude artist's impressions of her doing lewd things to anyone, preferably human?

jokes aside, if you describe it a bit more artistically, may be you an get a few of us to read it. the plot seems kinda worth the time.
you need to learn how to sell.

The MC is actually a man. He finds the girl dying in a parking lot, thinks she's a bunny rabbit (hallucinating). Takes her home and the story begins to unfold.

I have been kind of strict in not depicting her in a lewd way. If you want to see it here's the prologue and a couple early chapters. pastebin.com/y4K0xreC

yeah, alright, maybe I will see if I can talk to someone. I worked really hard on it and next year I plan to write a sequel, too.

>female
how about if it were a female of color?
what if she had the ability to turn into a dragon [reptilian with wings]?
what if she saved not one, but several races in the galaxy from certain annihilation?
what if she does it all alone and only in the end does she find a suitable mate? [i do not want to make the mate of the same gender though]

>mc is actually a man
If that's not integral to the plot you might want to switch that to androgynous or just straight up female. Market is completely dominated by female readers.

10/10 practically guaranteed to sell

it's much too far along for that, he has a very male personality and gets into fights several times over the course of the story

>10/10 practically guaranteed to sell
thanks, user.
capped for all future self-motivations.

well i'll tell you that she is made out to be someone important, that she has a special power, and that she might secretly be the heir to a dying space kingdom that was usurped by humans

and that while she's weak she's very determined and never gives up

is that special snowflakey enough for you

>is that special snowflakey enough for you
Doesn't matter if it's enough for me it's all about the bored middle-aged housewives. If you can hook them in then you'll be good to go.

brilliant.

>someone important,
>special power,
>secretly be the heir to a dying space kingdom [of draconians]
when did i send you my notes, mate?
who the fuck are you to know my entire series like that?
where are you from exactly?

>is that special snowflakey enough for you
i will become a billionaire writing this.

also, please don't tell this has been done to death already...

I am too lazy. I have ideas and notes but do nothing but read, watch movies, or play video games with my friends.

Hell, I want to write some stupid erotic short stories to make a little money but I am too lazy.

I'm fucking trying but I can only really write when I feel like I'm in a certain frame of mind, and even then I can usually only pump out a paragraph at max before I become tired

I started today. I had the notion that it must be really easy to write fiction for teenagers. Came up with an idea and started writing. Pretty content on what I have so far, especially as someone who isn't much of a reader.

And then I got distracted looking up covers of "I wanna be like you" from the jungle book.

That's a lot of work for no substance. Want to share?

exactly how i've felt this past 5 years.
i hope 2017 is better.

your life is too easy, mate.
one can only write if there is something major devastation in one's life - at the least the fear of not making the next rent does push us towards writing something sell-able..

>someone who isn't much of a reader.
rookie mistake.

read what people actually buy.
then write it.
also, it's not called plagiarizing, it's called "borrowing the feel".

I've just started writing a novel over the past couple of days and as the narrative formed fully in my head, and symbolism and structure pulled through, I realised that, pending my ability to keep it constantly engrossing and to keep up a consistent standard of prose, it will be the greatest novel of at least the last 20 years. I'm not even bullshitting guys. I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna be the next Joyce. Maybe the faith is delusiona, but the amount of ideas and symbolism I've gleamed from the ingredients in place, even over just 4 pages, is pretty startling; It also goes far deeper than simply 'religious parallel' or 'philosophical deconstruction', I can't fully explain it here, you'll have to read it yourself. I may sound entirely mad to you. I started writing it out of an uncertain curiosity over anything else, but as it now comes together, I've been more sure about anything, or myself, before. At the end of the day it's an engaging, simple, surreal story from the perspective one person. I can't wait til you get to read it. Peace.

it's gay

*never been more sure

>faith is delusional
no such thing for a writer who actually wants to get published.

> I may sound entirely mad to you.
great writers usually do.

> it will be the greatest novel of at least the last 20 years.
1 in a million chance, mate. also, you are competing with me, so, you are never getting there, trust me.

>startling
>over just 4 pages
fucking noobs

> peace
you too, mate.

also this

oh. well, fug

Good luck, bossman.

>reading and writing since before kindergarten
>writing has always been a huge part of who I am
>have plenty of stories and characters in my head
>think of tumblr and reddit both...sjw and anti are both ridiculous and both like trying to claim shows as theirs
>think of cringey fanbases

Writing is the only thing I'm good at and I want to make decent money one day
It's the only thing I can see myself doing long term...

It's really easy to self-publish now, user. Just keep writing a short novel every 1-3 months until something sticks.

I'm writing a medieval supernatural fantasy about 2 mercenary buddies who discover and try to stop bad magic from spreading

is lain Veeky Forums?

lain is almost certainly /g/, maybe with a dash of Veeky Forums

I had to go back to sleep for a few hours before I realized you wanted me to try to sell it to you.

Well, here's my blurb.

Amid a small town, a man finds a white rabbit lying limp in a parking lot on a rainy, chilly autumn evening. He ignores it, initially-- for what wasn't wasting away in his decrepit little backwater? A town full of people who would cast away their livelihoods for comforting illusions. Yet when the rabbit reaches out to him, clinging to life, he sees in it something pure.

it's vague on purpose, I should probably try something that actually explains what the book is about, shouldn't I