Money doesn't bring happiness

>Money doesn't bring happiness

Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

bmj.com/content/322/7282/334.1
medicaldaily.com/why-smarter-people-are-more-likely-be-mentally-ill-270039
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

False. Ask Eon Mosque or Papa John.

Not necessarily, but it certain can create the environment where happiness, or rather contentment can be achived. It's definitely awesome not having to deal with a shiton of anxiety and stress that's slowly killing you because you can't pay the rent, nutrition or education to reach your full potential.

The question has an scientific aspect too you mongoloid

Actually all questions are just mathematics+physics but lets not go into that

Not past a salary of 75k apparently

Money buys short term happiness but in the long run (with few exceptions) it won't

It doesn't bring happiness but it makes unhappiness more tolerable.

Fully immersion virtual reality brings happiness. The rest is sad.

Studies show that after around 70k happiness begins to plateau.

If you believe self-reported questionnaires are 100% truthful. When you look at other proxies of happiness, a different result may appear. Here is a study indicating individuals earning high income are more prone to suicide than those with lower income.
bmj.com/content/322/7282/334.1

Yes. Personal enlightenment is virtually free and the most pleasurable (in my opinion).

Likely spurious since disorders like manic depression can increases your chances of both success and suicide.

medicaldaily.com/why-smarter-people-are-more-likely-be-mentally-ill-270039

This is what low wage fags tell to themselfs.
If I was I billionaire I would have resources to do anything.

decadence does but wealth doesn't

Question.

Is you, an individual, the same as the abstract individual produced by statistics that has on average a certain level of happiness and income and whatever?

My point is that everyone is different and most people who are rich aren't all intellingent, not necessarily. Most of them the richer they get, the more decadent they get.

Stupid people, at all income levels fail to realize that money is just a tool, it isn't a purpose in and of itself. Accumulating money is just accumulating a skill, a tool that allows you to access other things in life.

Let's say you wanted to be a genius and contribute to humanity. Good luck with that if you aren't rich. Most inventors / famous scientists and mathematicians were rich and had multiple sources of income and had the financial stability that allowed them to be able to think about mathematics for hours and hours each day.

Try to do that if you work at a shitty job. Again, shit like
>after 70k happiness begins to plateau
is the result of studies made on ALL people that make over 70k. That includes: dumbshit CEOs, corrupt businessmen, politicians, people who work at very risky jobs, etc. I'm willing to bet that most of them are not geniuses, despite making more than the averge person.

Stupid people are likely to make bad choices when they are presented with the numerous opportunities that high income allows you to take advantage of. Drugs, whores, excessive partying.

Most of them fail to use money as a tool. Financial stability is the most important thing in life. It allows, like the other user said, good nutrition, health, education, a good house, etc.

Just try to give your kid a nice education when you're a poorfag. Just try to be healthy when life throws some diseases at you and you can't afford to do shit about it. Just try to be happy when you realize something is simply impossible because you lack a few more $.

It can allow you to pursue interests which would make you happy. However, if you're a miserable fuck, you'll likely just become a rich miserable fuck because it's a state of mind more than anything else.

This.

In the end, stupidity does, wealth doesn't. Wealth allows you to life to your absolute full potential, whatever that may be. A normie who suddenly gets his hand on a few million dollars is going to waste it all on whores and hard drugs and alcohol and partying. That shit is proven scientifically and statistically to lead to depression and mental problems.

But it's not a self-fulfilling prophecy, it's not a curse, well, it is, but it's a curse that only affects normies, it's the curse of being a fucking retard and not being able to change that fact no matter how much money you accumulate through whatever means.

Think about how everyone licks the asses of geniuses and famous inventors and scientsts. All of them were born in rich families. Why are most of nobel prizes jews? Connections and high income, that's the thing. Not genetics. Connections, high income. High income leads to a very good education. That's why jews can easily get an education at the best unis in the world. Because they can, financially.

Didn't George Bush get an education from an Ivy League college? For fuck's sake. That's the power of money.

We respect (well, most of Veeky Forums) people who got into ivy league / russell group unis. Education at MIT / Harvard / Caltech is very expensive. It's not for poorfags.

Just think about it. There are money-related barrier to a shit-ton of things in life.

Let's say you're a genius. Wouldn't you like to have a good nutrition, practice sport and receive the best education in the world?

Well, you need money for that. A lot of it. By "a lot" I mean a lot in any country.

>deal with a shiton of anxiety and stress that's slowly killing you because you can't pay the rent, nutrition or education to reach your full potential.

LOL Do people really do this? That is some high order wageslave shit if I ever read it.

>My mom's basement is everyone's safety net

What if you have no mom's basement and you work at McDonald's, user? Then what if you get hit by a car and have to pay 100k in medical bills?

Money can't buy you happiness, man. I heard it on the news and I read about it in the daily mail. Jesus can help us go through a car accident. He can heal us, dude. trust me.

I seriously doubt that you can attribute a large proportion of high income persons to mental illness like bipolar disorder. These afflictions are more detrimental than beneficial. Can you demonstrate such a causal relation(blog posts dont count)?
I dont really comprehend your point. It looks like the common sense argument that some financial minimum is required for rudimentary life needs. But then you proceed with stating that you need tons for adequate education for your children as if living in central Africa.

We're talking about average income in COUNTRIES not in regions, brainlet. If 100k is average in New York that doesn't matter. The average in Europe and USA is much lower than 70k a year, and that's a statistic about family income.

How the fuck can you afford a house, a car and a very good education for your kid and for yourself if you lack the money? That's the point. The more you have, the better.

It's common sense and quite honestly even a kid can figure this out if he isn't a complete retard.

This is my last reply to you, I'm not wasting my time trying to convince a fucking brainlet about why money is important. You figure that out yourself, Mr. common sense man that thinks not having 70k/year implies living in central Africa.

Europe and the US are welfare nanny states. They provide you with public education, housing subsidies, food stamps etc. Thats how the first world rolls. you would know this if you werent responding from a shithole.

When your point is that more money = good, then that contradicts the finding that happiness levles flatten after that 75k, doesnt it? Your perspective would suggest a continously rising line along happiness.

Why would it be a rising line? The impact is more noticeable when you go from homeless to a house than from 20 houses to 21. It would plateau after a while

>Can you demonstrate such a causal relation
No? Just like you can't demonstrate a causal relationship between wealth and suicide, asshat.

Happiness "flattens" there because that's the inflection point where the median job's stress begins to outweigh the marginal benefit for each additional dollar earned. If someone managed to keep the exact same workload while making 75 or 100k, I guarantee you the 100k person wouldn't be more sad.

>When your point is that more money = good, then that contradicts the finding that happiness levles flatten after that 75k, doesnt it? Your perspective would suggest a continously rising line along happiness.
You don't understand statistics. Period. You don't understand what those numbers means. You don't understand what correlations are between those conclusions and your own personal life, genetics and potential.

this isnt science or math, but it depends on the person. I know very few people that actually care about money outside of being able to live on their own and comfortably, but i also know a much smaller amount of people who get joy from having more money than theyll use in their lifetime

>They provide you with public education, housing subsidies, food stamps etc.
Then why does it cost you money to go to a good university in UK or USA?

Since when are universities free?

Not knowing this fact makes me think that you are responding from a shithole that's outside of the western world.

>The total 2016-2017 cost of attending Harvard College without financial aid is $43,280 for tuition and $63,025 for tuition, room, board, and fees combined.
>At Imperial, the undergraduate tuition fee for Home and EU students starting the College in 2017 is £9,250 per year.
>Annual tuition fees at Oxford and Cambridge (2017/18, full-time)
>£15,755- £23,190 (~US$19,330-28,450) for most courses.

I presume that poor people / the average family is able to easily afford sending one of their kids to such a university?

Maybe it's possible in your deranged mind but it's not in real life.

>inb4 loans
>inb4 scholarships
Not everyone is eligible. Not everyone is lucky enough to get one of those.

My point still stands. You want a perfect life? You need to be rich.

I just posted a link, retard.Because he just said that >the more yo uhave, the better
more X = more Y

Link?

All baseless ad hominem attacks. Try again.

Didn't you want to make this argument about ad hominem attacks?

It makes happiness more readily available.
Money gives you more options.

>piggot can't understand logarithms and why diminishing returns do not necessarily imply plateaus.

>Link?
Why do you think money magically makes people less happy after 75k? Unless you can provide an alternative hypothesis, the increased job stress is the best explanation we have.

let's go into that user

what did he mean by this?

>I just posted a link, retard
To an article about CORRELATION, not CAUSATION

[math]\text{Piggot=} \lim_{x\to\infty} \int\limits_{faggot}^{x} pig(x) dx[/math]

Even if every time you add a dollar to your personal wealth you divide the amount of happiness by 2, after a trillion dollars when you'd add a new dollar you would still increase your happiness by a value, even if it's incredibly small.
That's why I said "the more you have, the better".

That is true if accumulating a quantity of money implies less stress and sadness than than the positive impact that money can have on your happiness.

It's about what rises faster, like in limits. Does the stress that comes with high income rise faster than the benefits? If so, it isn't worth it. Is the opposite true? If so, then it's worth having as much money as possible.

If you're not a brainlet you can accumulate money through non-stressful ways, piggot.

Why is he making a crawfish shape with money and efficacious absence?
Human behavoir never ceases to amaze me, that's why I have came all this way to research it, it this some kind of ritual to worship the human God, Popeyes Louisiana fried chicken?

good answer t b h

For most people, yes. For greedy fucks like me, no.

Mostly a lie to keep poorfags complacent actually.

Even the Easterlin Paradox (money beyond a certain amount doesn't bring happiness) was disproven a few years ago.

t. child of affluence who has been on Cloud 9 my entire life

>'Money doesn't bring happiness' - Is this true?
Of course it fucking isnt. it's just something poor people try to tell themselves to make them feel better. same as when ugly people see hot people and go all like:
>"well I bet she's ugly on the inside, and that's what counts..."

money DOES buy happiness, because with enough of it, you can buy all the cool shit you want, and then retire and never have to work again, and then do whatever you want.

No, having not the enought money is the problem of happiness

>gif
>expected the guy lied off in the floor star waving his legs and arms

That I call no hapiness

>Mostly a lie to keep poorfags complacent actually.
Not really. The rags to riches myth is much more effective at manipulating the poor people. They're much less likely to raise taxes on the rich if they believe that means raising taxes in themselves in the future when they too are rich.

Believing money isn't important is actually a great way to convince the people the rich don't need it either. While it may be a common saying in the US, nobody actually believes it.