Read this expecting some kind of dramatic story about people discovering an alternate history and creating dramatic...

>read this expecting some kind of dramatic story about people discovering an alternate history and creating dramatic changes or revolution
>It's just a spy thriller where the setting has no real consequence

Why the hype?

>The setting has no real consequence

>He missed the part where Germany wanted to destroy Japan.

It could have been Germany wanting to destroy a Japanese bakery and it wouldn't have been any different. In fact they could have excluded that entirely and it would have made no difference.

What's your point?

That's how I felt after watching Captain America Civil War

Really? I've never read it, but I bought it for my brother since he is into WW2-stuff and he just finished reading about Winston Churchill. This makes me sad to hear.

The movies can't do an actual Civil War. Hopefully they will make an Iron Man Civil War part that includes more heroes and some dramatic tensions that are more similiar to war.

Get him Fatherland, or if he's into real goofy shit you can look at Turtledove

It really bugged me how I wasted two hours of my life watching it on the recommendation of a friend only to have everything undone at the end of the movie. They were put in prison and busted out by Captain America. Captain America and Tony Stark have a spat. Captain America says "lol if u ever need me i'm here love you xoxoxoxo" and you know they'll all be together and having a good ruck with whoever the next big villain is for this toy commercial.

Thanks. I don't feel like buying a new gift though, but I'll pass along those recommendations after christmas

I feel like MCU-Tony imprisoning his friends would feel too weird, they are not exactly there yet. Honestly though, it felt weird in the comics too when Tony Stark became Hitler. But I see your point.
I'm guessing the Iron Man part will be more like Iron Man and Cap teaming up againgst Thunderbolt Ross and the government or something. Or finding something else to fight over

Recommend me some good Philip K Dick literature

The puerile cover edits are better than the actual book desu

Valis
Do androids dream of electric sheep
Flow my tears, the policeman said
A scanner darkly
The three stigmata of Palmer eldritch
We can remember it for you wholesale
Ubik

I think all his stuff is good, but those are the popular ones.

This is why I come to this board desu

This one actually made me laugh

I'll upvote anyone who makes a "The tit-man in ass-castle" edit. Maybe do something creative with the swastika or rising suns.

help

The first half has some interesting setup, then in the second half it goes nowhere. If ever a book needed a cowriter, this is it.

Saw the cover in the catalogue and came into this thread hoping for dick edits. I was not disappointed.

I love it.

It would play better if it was "ass man in tit castle" since you put axis titties on the front.

This is the best one, everyone else stop trying pls

This is the problem with superhero movies desu. Nothing is on the line, every movie just feels like filler. Some minor characters might die, sure, but nobody that actually makes an impact.

This is a general theme within superhero fiction as a whole because no one wants to see their fan favorite character get the axe. It's especially bad for MCU, because if a major character dies then they can't use them as freely in further movies / games / whatever.

>Why the hype?

If it was some revolutionary power trip fantasy, it would suck even harder. It wouldn't matter that the characters are trapped in a false reality if they weren't trapped.

But yeah PKD doesn't have many great endings

Best

Dr. Bloodmoney

the published fraction of his exegesis

9/10

UBIK was the better sci-fi mystery
The Recognitions was the better novel about forgery

Horrible phil dick story.

Theres like 20 better dick stories than this.

>the setting has no real consequence
What the fuck book did you read? Did the plot point about American souvenirs becoming antique collectibles and the subsequent theme about the subjectivity of meaning just slip right past you?

this

high castle provided a really interesting spin on dick's typical themes of the malleability of reality

This is the only book I know of where the tv adaption is better than the book.

Meaning being subjective, what an eye-opener

>dude what if, like, reality itself is a forgery?

that's literally dick's shtick. mock it if you'd like, but let's not pretend it's exclusive to high castle.

He should have gone with a different schtick in high castle, a real waste

It was fine in Scanner

>He should have gone with a different schtick in high castle, a real waste
>It was fine in Scanner
>One of his few novels not actually about that
Lad, just wew.

>MC loses his sense of reality and Identity
>MC Identity is fake throughout
>Not at all about fake realities

Hmm

There is a difference between someone being drug fucked and the literal reality bending that happens in Huge Dick in the Castle of Ass.

Sweet job explaining about how unenthused in a cool way you are about unrelated details regarding an answer to something else entirely.

But for what it's worth, it is an entirely unique take the Dick man has on the theme. It's meant to throw you off guard how worthless gaudy Americana becomes in this other reality a pricey commodity, or how interpretations of vague I Ching lines carry incredible consequence. He plays with meaning in a neat way and at his time of writing carried with it a shock value that unfortunately doesn't hold up, despite how the setting remains interesting.