Did Carl Sagan ruin science by bringing it to the masses?

Did Carl Sagan ruin science by bringing it to the masses?

How can we prevent it from slipping any further?

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/bill-nye-saves-the-world-netflix
kickstarter.com/projects/structurefilms/the-bill-nye-film
youtube.com/watch?v=OTwti3b2mLk
youtube.com/watch?v=bBMcDPV2NrQ&feature=youtu.be&t=2214
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Start a Asimov style Foundation and seclude ourselves from the proles

Basically, yes.
We can't.

>Did Carl Sagan ruin science by bringing it to the masses?
Yes, he perpetuated the meme that science can answer important questions if not all questions.
>How can we prevent it from slipping any further?
By clearly explaining the limitations of science and therefore technology. Once the masses realise that science can't solve their mortal problems they will lose all interest.

But people aren't interested in epistemology

>epistemology
you've got to sex it up

Whatever happened to a little something called decorum?
Easy way to fix science: Just ruin it for everyone. Require business formal attire at ALL events.

Link to a video of her performance?

It's worse than you think.

Start quantum mechanics from sixth grade those who fail are legally not allowed to touch science textbooks.

It's not Sagan's fault that a bunch of sjw's ruined it

Science hasnt slipped at all. Stop getting bootybithered by a TV show you sensitive snowflake.

>((((Asimov))))
>((((((Foundation)))))
Good goy.

>science can answer important questions
But user, it can

>It's worse than you think.

Indeed. I thought I was prepared, but now I'm just really really sad.

Why can't they leave at least science to us? It was our thing. Now we have nothing.

Psssst, hey retard.
She did this on purpose

it wasn't funny though. cringe comedy still needs to be comedic

>american politics
>jewish culture

Really makes you contemplate the state of the world.

Maybe it was funny and you are too serious
I'm going to watch it a second time and see if it's any better

It was funnier.
I think this is the future and fully support this endeavor.
We do have a government that represses and denies science, is there really a reason for 20 of these threads a day?
It's fucking irrelevant
Nothing wrong with a sex stew

us jews are the best thing to cone to mathematics and all the sciences, stupid goyim

live by example,
the echo chambers alone bring nothing on either side

it's because you didn't stand up for the social sciences.

the humanities are the bastion and bulwark of free human thought. once they fall, science in the classical sense falls as well. but no, you turned a blind eye when they came for psychology and infested it with postmodernist bullshit.

good luck now, there's nobody here to save you because culture > technology and people will choose what makes them feel better rather than what is true

No.

For a really long time, science has been purposely kept away from the reaches of the common person. That's why there's a convention to use latin words for scientific terms.

We had a few brilliant people come up with monumental discoveries to get us where we are today. But now more than ever, more people are becoming scientifically literate and pursuing scientific careers. Advances in medical science have been tremendous in the last 100 years. Common people actually understand what a greenhouse gas is. Things are fucking great, even if a few retarded sjws pretend to understand science because they "liked" some shitty facebook page with memes about Sodium or whatever the fuck.

We should keep going and make more people learn science instead of just letting them get away with window-shopping it.

>By clearly explaining the limitations of science and therefore technology. Once the masses realise that science can't solve their mortal problems they will lose all interest.

Creationists are not allowed in Veeky Forums

This is an interesting take on it. We've all heard the ole "first they came for x but I didn't say anything because I wasn't x" but we still didn't recognize that is was happening in front of our very own eyes.

In my experience, lib scientists ruin science, they bring it to the masses or repeat the the lies that everyone has heard, and everyone else is reactionary and becomes a science denier.

Boomers fucking hate science. I've been told "Why would you or anyone want to be a scientist?" "The most dangerous thing is someone who has a new idea."

This is why we get shit shows on the discovery and history channels.

>implying science hasn't always belonged to the masses
>implying the pace of science changes when a handful of people try to explain it using mass media
>implying again that this isn't just a way to breed hate for fellow scientists

Stop with these pop sci boards. They won't stop, you're wasting your time. Go discover something.

good post senpai

Just kill me already
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/bill-nye-saves-the-world-netflix

>Unlike Nye’s old PBS children’s program, this show is geared toward “grown-up kids”—which Nye figures represents most of us, if we’re being honest.

>grown up kids

He's ruining it for everyone, including people who he supposed to represent like actual climate scientists

At least astronomers got a brief shot of optimism when talk of spectrums made it into pop sci. Granted, it ended with them slinging shit across their desk and yelling "faggots!"

Prove it.

>he supposed to represent like actual climate scientists
He didn't believe in AGW/"Global Warming" until he was rammed in the anus a few times by his handlers.

as the old saying goes, ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

>(((Jewish culture)))
Uhoh

>"I was merely pretending"ing in real life

What authority does he have to represent climate scientists? He's a mechanical engineer. I'm an electrical engineer working in the weather and climate science field - that doesn't mean I get to call myself a climate scientist, even if I'm a lot more knowledgeable about the field than the average person. My climate scientist colleagues are supposed to represent me and everyone else, not the other way around.

kickstarter.com/projects/structurefilms/the-bill-nye-film

youtube.com/watch?v=OTwti3b2mLk

>we had christianity
>we kill christianity
>it cant come back
>people are basic and need a center for their lives to orbit around
>due to pretentious fuckwits, people are told science is a good thing to worship
>now social "science" exists
>plebs go around claiming to understand science
>basic bitches like von neumann are idolized
>culture is now in a tailspin

God was a better God than science.

His statement did not imply a belief in creationism, foolish fedora.

A sad truth.

Universities are the chapels right now. Once science is completely stolen by the masses, they will build churches and tell people to worship Dawkins and other humans that came up with unproven theories instead of God.

Well I don't know, it seems is the allegedly high IQ left leaning population that's the one denying Science. Since the masses are average IQ and, supposedly Trump voters who oppose this type of non-sense.

If anything, I think Academia is the issue. The tried to protect students from the outside world like little children.

Pluto is on the planet spectrum

Only bigots think otherwise

Both extremes of the political spectrum are denying science.
Conservatives believe that the earth is flat and climate change is a lie, while liberals believe gender dysphoria is real and there are more than 2 genders and being gay is normal when it's not.

>Conservatives believe that the earth is flat
no they don't.
>climate change is a lie
the alarmism the left pushes is not rooted in science.

The ironic thing being Nye isn't far from wanting people executed for heresy against "science"

youtube.com/watch?v=bBMcDPV2NrQ&feature=youtu.be&t=2214

What would you do about flat earthers? Don't you think they should be put in camps?

The mentally disabled should be left alone and mocked behind their backs.

Dude she is a woman. She was born handicapped in the comedy department. Saying she isnt funny is like bashing a downy kid at the special olympics for missing the world record in the 100m hurdles by 20 seonds and 2 hurdles. Not cool man.

>statement not followed by proofs
get out of Veeky Forums