Making chili con carne for the first time without using McCormick powder tonight...

Making chili con carne for the first time without using McCormick powder tonight. Any cu/ck/'s want to help improve my old recipe?

>saute onions and green peppers
>add ground beef and brown
>dump in cans of the following
>petite diced tomatoes
>tomato sauce
>drained corn
>drained black beans
>half a bottle of modelo
>3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce de-seeded and chopped into paste
>packet of McCormick chili seasoning
>simmer for an hour or 2

Other urls found in this thread:

homesicktexan.com/2009/02/more-precise-texas-chili-recipe.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

peanut butter
coffee
chocolate

I understand cocoa powder and coffee grounds, but peanut butter?

Get yourself a cheap coffee grinder and a bunch of dried chiles: guajillo, cascabel, ancho, chipotle.
Grind them up with cumin, oregano, coarse sea salt, and my secret weapon, smoked sun-dried tomatoes.
Stir it into your saute. Also, add low-sodium beef stock.

So the stock makes it more like a paste? Kind of reminds me of making curry paste.

I make mine with the following ingredients:
- Ground beef
- Onions (depends on the size, mostly I'm just cooking for one or two people, so I'll usuallky just chop up one large or two small)
- Tomato sauce
- Garlic (about 3-4 cloves, finely chopped)
- 1 dark beer
- Green and red peppers
- Black beans or kidney beans
- Bacon
- A couple of chilis
- Some habanero sauce
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste

I let mine simmer for at least two hours after I've browned the beef. Occasionally I'll add some red wine instead of the beer.

I'll try to get some better quality beef this weekend/next week and cut it into chunks, and just increase the time my chili spends on the stove.

... I add cumin and sometimes cayenne pepper as well, forgot to mention it in my first post.

Have you tried this recipe? Seems expensive.

The stock is your cooking liquid for the chili, it has nothing to do with cooking the base of chili peppers.

I'm not the person you're replying to, but what makes you think that recipe is expensive? Those are all cheap ingredients. I can't see how that would be expensive unless you live in an out-of-the-way place where those ingredients are somehow exotic?

Nothing about that recipe is expensive. The problem is that it is a yankee recipe.

I prefer
homesicktexan.com/2009/02/more-precise-texas-chili-recipe.html?m=1

Mostly just the peppers. I don't have a good market that sells individual peppers like that so I'm stuck buying the bags with more peppers than I need in the hispanic food isle. I've actually never cooked with dried peppers before so I'm not too sure what they cost anyway.

>refined sugars in your chili con carne
Naah

>more dried peppers than I need for a single dish

So? They never go bad. You can use them forever. And if you've ever bought chili powder or a spice packet you've cooked with dried peppers, just an inferior version.

Things you could add:
>Diced bell pepper, one to two, colors of your choice.
>Couple of teaspoons of pickled, chopped green jalapeno (this stuff is pretty spicy, add a teaspoon of just the vinegar from the jar, it's taken in the pepper and will help give it a bit of a kick)
>Drained navy beans or kidney beans.
>Pressed clove of garlic
>Few drops of Tabasco and/or a tablespoon or two of chilipowder

Red wine, huh? Like just a teacup or what? Sounds like it might be good.

This, dried peppers last for years and years, you can use them for other dishes or later chilis.

Also I find dried or pickled peppers have much richer and nicer taste than fresh ones

>Diced bell pepper, one to two, colors of your choice.
There already are. It's the first part of the recipe I wrote

>Couple of teaspoons of pickled, chopped green jalapeno (this stuff is pretty spicy, add a teaspoon of just the vinegar from the jar, it's taken in the pepper and will help give it a bit of a kick)
I've tried with the little canned, diced jalapenos and it gave the chili a really watery taste. I guess I'll try the pickled stuff next time.

>Drained navy beans or kidney beans.
I feel like having more than one can of beans would oversaturate the chili with beans.

>Pressed clove of garlic
saute it with the onions or just dump it in the chili?
>Few drops of Tabasco and/or a tablespoon or two of chilipowder
I add Tabasco to taste while I'm eating it. Sometimes I eat it over rice too.

> chili con carne

As opposed to chili con frutas? fuck ground beef btw it's nasty use something else

Oh shit, I'm blind.

But yeah, try pickled instead of tinned, I find the tinned adds very little flavor. Careful with how much you add though.

>I feel like having more than one can of beans would oversaturate the chili with beans.
Well it depends on the size of your cooking I guess, I always use a big pot that fits lots of ingredients (I tend to like to cook with 800-1000 grams of beef or/and pork, along with two cans of beans and three peppers).

>saute it with the onions or just dump it in the chili?
Press it in the chili and let it cook in, I don't think it'll saute well.

What's with this meme? Is mince meat just shit in the US or something?

We're making chili for beginners here. I'll move onto chuck and things like that down the line.

2 lbs. ground sirloin (90/10)
1 small onion finely minced
8 oz. can tomato sauce
8 oz. water
Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili

All of the ingredients come in separate packages, so it's really easy to weigh them if you have some digital scales. I had it written down at one time or another.

>Is mince meat just shit in the US or something?

A lot of it is pretty crappy, yeah. I think the real point is that some people like the texture of having larger chunks of beef.

Personally I prefer a combination. I use both cubes of beef and ground/minced meat as well.

I have posted photos of my process several times on the board, I can post again if anyone wants.

Guess I better hope I can find a nice butcher if I ever get to move to the US (and a baker and gunstore too, for that matter).

It's typically fine where I live.

It's not hard to find the good ground/minced meat in the US. Any supermarket will have both good and cheap stuff. But many people don't realize there's a difference and only buy the super cheap.

Gun store? That's easy. Baker? Finding a good one is hard. Finding a passable one is easy; most supermarkets have an in-house bakery and while it might not be "awesome" it's worlds better than buying the bagged bread off the supermarket shelves.

@8864917
DO YOU LIEK MY CHILI, ?

I don't, actually. I don't like chunky tomatoes and not mincing the jalapenos seems dumb.

>@
Normally I would assume you were shitposting but considering the quality of your post I'm not so sure about that.

>calling it chili con carne when it's clearly just chili

I did it just to keep the
>beans in chili
fags from hassling me, Satan.

>But many people don't realize there's a difference and only buy the super cheap.
B-but... but that's just really obvious, of course mince won't be nice if you buy the cheapest shit!

I know guns are easy (being one of the big draws for me), but as long as the bakery is passable (even just an in market bakery is alright), it's looking pretty good.

I feel chunky tomatoes are great, and I don't mind the sliced jalapeno that comes in the little jars.

What do you think "carne" means, Satan?

i have all the things in that picture

tell me how to make chili

do I just put beans and beef in a pot?

carnival or something probably. it's really just made up crap for fancypants to sound fancy.

Holy kek so this is why flyovers get picked on good show smirking my ass off.

Carne means meat in Spanish.

So "Chili Con Carne" is literally "Chili With Meat".

It means "meat", uncultured heathen. "chili con carne" literally means "chili with meat".

chili already has meat in it, it's not vegetarian chili

That's literally my recipe. Saute the onions, after add the green peppers and beef, when the beef is browned dump every other ingredient in and let it simmer until it gets a bit thicker. I do this all in one pot.

Got dammit. The "implying chili has beans in it, that's chili con carne" posters literally meme'd me.

Are you trying to save face right now by saying that just because Americans shortened it to chilli anyone who says the full name is an asshole?

what time is it where you are?

Meat only became really cheap in the past century or so (in thanks to industrialization), and it wasn't necessarily every day that every average Joe could have meat for their dinner.

So sometimes, chili was cooked with no meat, and sometimes it was, hence the differentiation.

These days, meat is cheap and abundant, hence most people cook chili with meat, seldom cooking it without, and chili is just faster to say.

I don't typically converse with lolcows after they've dispensed their milk.

Sure, people make beans spiced with chili, but that isn't what people mean when they say "chili." And don't forget the first documented chili was simply meat pounded together with chilis and salt and carried on cattle drives in the 1800's.

I'm not a texasfag autist who says chili shouldn't have beans, but without the meat it isn't chili.

Well without meat I think it's called "Chili Sin Carne" (without meat)

>chili sin carne

Well, it's appropriately named as it would be a sin.

don't do the tomato sauce man, just leave it out and if you want it more tomotoy just add another can of diced maters

chop or slice some fresh garlic mah boi and add it at the beginning mah boy

corn adds the wrong kind of sweetness IMO

Hah, ain't that the truth.

I don't think he likes chunky tomato.

in that case he should get some whole tomatoes and toss them in the blender, the canned tomato sauce always has a slightly tinny taste to me

Use low sodium Chicken stock instead. Canned beef stocks are inherently bad due to the process and regulations for them. In the final product you won't really taste the difference and will still get the thickness you want.
If you still want the beef flavor add a splash marmite and soy sauce.

try adding some cocoa powder. also, you need to use either ancho chile powder, new mexico or california chile powder, all mild to moderate with lots of flavor.