1. Crime and Punishment
2. Notes From the Underground
3. House of the Dead
4. Netochka Netvanova
5. The Gambler
6. Poor Folk
7. Demons
8. The Double

you really liked the idiot that much? i thought most people here thought it was boring.

1. TBK
2. C&P
3. White Nights
4. Idiot
5. Notes
6. The Gambler

Also I was unable to finish House of the Dead. Was way too boring.

what translation of the idiot did you guys read?

Reading Demons right now. Why is this near the bottom of people's lists?

I'm reading Avsey's right now.
the prose is smooth and the dialogue is distinct between characters. Notably better than the P&V I compared it to.
Two shortcomings in this translation imo.
1. It's distinctly British. I think that when Avsey made an effort to write in an English speaker's context he overshot and made it a regional context
2. He has a habit of using contemporary phrases that I don't think really fit the novel.
next time I'll try McDuff or Carlisle

Wondering this too since I was just about to order it.

Found The Idiot fairly boring, liked Notes.

The Idiot was the first Dostoevsky work that I ever read so maybe it's more special to me for that reason. But as a Christian, I think it actually has more religious significance than The BK.

Yes, I loved it. In my opinion it has some of the best scenes out of all his works that I've read, and is also the most challenging to understand. It's also his most tragic and dramatic work.

here again

Demons is so low on my list because it's unlike Dostoevsky's other works. I like Dostoevsky for his philosophical discussions and the psychology of his characters. Demons is more political and more action-oriented with less psychology, and what's there is less rich.

That's how I felt reading it, anyhow.

I read the idiot two years ago and enjoyed it but could hardly write more than a page on what it was about right now. Maybe I should start underlining and taking notes when I read

I've never read Demons but from what I've heard the book's about how people that abandon religion succomb to ideology. Sounds very psychological to me

You would think so, but unless I was just approaching the book wrong or in a poor frame of mind when reading it, it doesn't have much of that. It lacks the typical approach Dostoevsky uses, where he has his characters speak out their thoughts (or otherwise tells us their inner thoughts), and so it's hard to get a real read on anyone. It's not Crime and Punishment where you follow a bunch of characters around and get to know their desires, feelings, fears, etc. Demons is more committed to performing actions than philosophizing or psychologizing.

Interesting. I plan on starting it early next year

I hope you enjoy it

1.BK
2.The Idiot
3.C&P
4.Notes
5.House of the Dead
I just really liked the psychological aspect of the Idiot and its vast array of characters.

what's so great about TBK? why is it nr. 1 on every ones list?

It's definitely the most "complete" of his works. Everything else he wrote leads up to it in some way. For example, the character of Alyosha in The Brothers Karamazov is a more refined version of the titular Idiot, Prince Myshkin; Ivan is a little different from Raskolnikov, but is nonetheless more refined even there. They're more fleshed out and realistic.
Aside from that, the novel tends to have many of the same themes as his other works, except this time they're more unified within a single book. The religious arguments presented in The Idiot and Crime and Punishment are evident in The Brothers Karamazov; the politics of Demons is evident in it; the troubling ideas a character possesses that drives them to depression (or worse) found in his other works are present, and so on.
Beyond that, it has the most ambitious cast of characters yet.
It's the inevitable continuation of all that Dostoevsky was building up to, and his Life of a Great Sinner would probably have been the natural conclusion to all he had to say.

Hey come on now, just because you can't read Russian doesn't make Dosto an idiot

kek

The Idiot
House of the Dead
The Brothers Karamazov
The Double
Crime & Punishment
Notes from Underground
Demons/Devils

Why many post house of the dead and notes fron underground? Weren't those the same book only for the name wich can be translated both ways?

No, you're mixing it up a bit. House of the Dead also goes by Notes From a Dead House. Notes From Underground can go by that and Notes From the Underground.

Ok, well i've read notes from underground, what's the house of the dead about?

It's a semi-autobiographical novel of his time in Siberia during his prison sentence. It's not like Crime and Punishment or Notes From the Underground, but it's a fun read anyway.

Sounds gay.

1. the idiot
2. crime and punishment
3. notes from the undergound
4. white nights

Back your rank user. It looks contrarian.

What is the best translation of The Idiot?

I have the Penguin Classics edition, translated by David McDuff.

1. Crime and Punishment.

I have only read the first part so far... Does the novel get better?

Seems like contemptuous trash so far.

Yeah it's trash all the way down to the end dude you should go read blood meridian or white noise lmao

i mean. all 3 are great

Yeah dude totally

1. The Idiot
2. C&P
3. Bros K
4. The Posessed

You're in luck - that's the best translation. At least in my opinion.

>Duffman
>Best translation

Maybe if you're in the habit of guzzling 40s

I want to start reading Fyodor, is C&P a good way to introduce yourself?

* The Brothers Karamazov
* Crime and Punishment
* Demons
* The Gambler
* The Double
* Notes from the House of the Dead
* The Idiot
* Notes from Underground
* Netochka Nezvanovna
* The Insulted and the Injured
* The Village of Stepanchikovo
* Poor Folk
* The Adolescent

C&P is a good introduction to his full-length novels. You could go for a novella too like The Double, The Gambler, or House of the Dead. He wrote some really good short stories too, like 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man', 'A Gentle Spirit', 'White Nights', and 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree'

1. Crime and Punishment
2. The Brothers Karamazov
3. Notes from the Underground

Thanks user, I'll check them out.

>rating CP over TBK

1. The Idiot
2. C&P
3. Demons
4. The Gambler
5. BK
6. Poor Folk
7. Notes from underground
8. House of the Dead

- all worth reading

It's the first Dostoevsky I read. Wasn't too shabby, but knew there was better.