Which alcohol snob do you hate the most, Veeky Forums? The winefag, the beer snob or the hard liquor stickler?

Which alcohol snob do you hate the most, Veeky Forums? The winefag, the beer snob or the hard liquor stickler?

Other urls found in this thread:

realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis
cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/an-examination-of-judge-reliability-at-a-major-us-wine-competition/15EF999FBAC63C5FB6DCF1C2F4BB6655
cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/an-analysis-of-the-concordance-among-13-us-wine-competitions/0133849E8FD76B5D20A13C9F720EE102
cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/how-expert-are-expert-wine-judges/A9F356BC73B3E38F8DF81C7D70F80D10
daysyn.com/Morrot.pdf
ageconsearch.tind.io/record/37328
theguardian.com/science/2011/apr/14/expensive-wine-cheap-plonk-taste
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I like people who are enthusiastic about quality beverages

The kind of people I hate are picky drinkers who won't explore beverages they are uncomfortable with because they think it makes them gay (or it intimidates them and they make up various excuses). They're basically the drinking equivalent of people who pick the sesame seeds off a bun before eating the hamburger. Awful people to drink with

The single-beverage people tend to be either whisky drinkers or beer drinkers. More often beer drinkers

But just to be a snob about beer, liquor, or wine? Those are fine and good things to do. Snob is not a bad word

Being a snob about something isnt so bad. Being an asshole about what someone else likes or how they drink it or what theyre drinking is whats bad.

Same goes for the cunts that never drink anything new.

I also hold a special hate for people that think a drink is "disgusting" because it isnt some sugar filled concoction or has so much other stuff in it you cant taste the alcohol.

I don't mind snobs so long as they don't patronize my drink of choice. I love trying new things but if some hipster is going to tell me I have an 'undeveloped palate' for enjoying something, I won't hesitate telling them to shove it.

I know plenty of wine/beer/liquor snobs but they're never the kind to talk down, they're always quick with a recommendation to my liking and encourage me to try new things.

I do hate beer hipsters, the most, but something about people who sip hard liquor gets to me. No way you're actually enjoying that shit. I've tried with some of the best liquors and they all taste like burning death.

None of them bother me. I don't give a fuck about what other people think or do. But I probably understand the wine guys the best, having been in the industry.

Who's worse, coffee snobs or beer snobs?

I drink straight spirits pretty often and I enjoy the feeling of it going down my throat.
Quite often I'm at home alone drinking so it's not like I'm trying to impress anyone by doing it, I just enjoy it. I'm not a fan of mixing spirits with sugary drinks.

The worst is that shitposter who jumps into coffee and beer threads and starts stupid arguments about estrogen and mycotoxins

Whiskeyfags are the worst

You have to find the right ones. Ordinary Jameson works for me.

They are up there with IPA queens

Wine snobs are usually rich so I cannot compete with them.

IPA drinkers and beer snobs.
Whiskeyfags just stay the fuck out of the way but beer snobs openly advise shit they you will pour out after one sip.

I have never poured out a full beer until I tasted an IPA. What the fuck is wrong with hipsters?

All of them. Just shut the fuck up and drink your goddamn alcohol.

>they'll ask what type of stouts are on tap
But I like stouts and porters. And I ask that because I don't want to fucking drink an IPA because they are disgusting.

> No way you're actually enjoying that shit.

fuck off you underage B& faggot, we don't enjoy the god damn taste, just the expedited results

None are that bad compared to the virulent anti-snobs of Veeky Forums.

I think you're right about single beverage people. I was exclusively lager drinking until only recently, and most whiskey drinkers I know aren't interested in anything else except maybe a beer at a bbq.

Wine drinkers turn into insufferable, snobbish, faggots most of the time. As soon as my dad started to get interested in it his oestrogen levels soared.

>Drink is disgusting because no 500g of sugar

That's essentially most young women and children. Women get a pass because everyone knows their soft, but if you've reached puberty and can't handle the taste of beer or whisky then you're a straight up gay cunt.

What asshats

Its tough to say. They're all terrible in different ways.

Beer snobs think their tongue is somehow magically imbued with greater degrees of perception and never shut up about how they refuse to drink any but the most obscure brews possible. They'll then proceed to lecture you on why its good, and why you should like it. This is ironic because they tend to equate beer quality with how hoppy it is, which is hilarious. I can appreciate hoppy beers, but most beer snobs seem to think a dry hopped sextuple IPA is the pinnacle of brewing, and that anyone who doesn't like beer that absurdly bitter just lacks the sacred tongue they've been gifted. They're a lot like people who want their food absurdly, rectum destroyingly, spicy, because they're so tough they can handle it. Anyone who prefers their food to not taste like Dresden in 1945 is just a pussy.

Winefags are annoying because they tend to equate their beverage preference with inherent cultural superiority. They think their is inherent cultural value in wine and they're superior to plebs who don't appreciate it. Their taste in wine automatically transcends to taste in food, music, film etc.

Spiritfags are a lot less common but they tend to be a lot more aggressive. For example if you prefer bourbon and they like scotch, or vice versa, they seem to almost get upset at the fact that someone doesn't share their view.

And I feel obligated to state I'm obviously not referring to everyone who enjoys these beverages, just the faggots who take it way to seriously.

At this point, it's just a matter of time before you yank the bottle out of their grasp and attempt to shove it up their rectum.

*there is

All of the beer snobs I know are way above IPAs, and basically jizz in their pants anytime ANYTHING bourbon-barrel aged comes out.

Case and point, the big hard-to-find release this month was Founder's KBS:

> Founders KBS is a beer "brewed with a massive amounts of coffee and chocolates" that gets aged in bourbon barrels. The brewery says it's "aged for a year in the caves beneath Grand Rapids," which means you might want to start spelunking now to score some before everyone else.

I only knew it was released because my dude who runs the beer section sold me 1 bottle of it. They got 1 keg to run on Tap and it was sold out by the afternoon. The restaurant we went to wouldn't do any samples, you had to buy a $10 glass of it.

All that fanfare and it's nothing special at all. Barrel aging is my least favorite snob-trend, I think it muddles every other flavor.

>Wine
Probably these fags because they spit the wine out, and I can't ever tell the difference.
>Beer
At least different beers taste different. All wine tastes like ass, I only drink it for health reasons. I consider sticking to wine "quitting" after all the liquor I've drank.
>Hard liquor
These people are just drunks. I know what it's like, but I'm not stupid enough to drink in public.

Whiskeyfags

Don't get me wrong whiskey is my favorite alcohol, but I'm fine with any old cheap swill.

anyone who
>cares where a beer is from over how it tastes
>anyone who quotes beer advocate
>anyone who gawks "oh I don't go below"
>anyone who only gets their beers from local microbrews

I like the taste.

>Whiskeyfags

That and usually the "oh you mix your alcohol? why waste perfectly fine liquor?"

Because fucker I can mix a rum and coke or other liquor and a splash of something else and pay 2-5 times less than you did for the same damn result.

I wouldn't know op I only drink WATER

>All wine tastes like ass, I only drink it for health reasons. I consider sticking to wine "quitting" after all the liquor I've drank.
i agree, wine makes me feel like shit too, its really acidic or something and i dont like it going down. plus to get properly trashed you have to drink at least a bottle or two which makes me feel like a real piece of shit

>plus to get properly trashed you have to drink at least a bottle or two which makes me feel like a real piece of shit

Tell me about it ...

Honestly, with everyone and their uncle making all sorts of crazy IPAs, flavoured stouts, etc, I actually miss a good, decently done mild or bitter beer.

Man thats a hard one, I think it all boils down to people flaunting expensive shit. So I guess wine is the worst on that note but I'm pretty far removed from that. Liquor snobs have annoyed me the most though. Hyper expensive whiskey tastes like smoke, and thats great don't get me wrong, but if I'm drinking whiskey straight I don't give a shit about that.

For the most part, people don't give a shit that I like highlife and whatever sludge called "whiskey" I like. We're all drunk in the end.

There are plenty of wine drinkers like that too. They pick a single grape,from a specific region, and refuse to drink anything unless it's that.
It's frustrating when you have a good wine that they'd probably like, but they won't try because it's not French/Italian/Whatever.

Wine tastes like rotten grape juice to me. It's good for a second, then it just grosses me out. Plus, I had a bad experience with some homebrew stuff. I hate the combination of sweetness, acidity, and alcohol.

Liquor just tastes like burning and chemicals. I don't like getting drunk that much and I don't like the taste, so there's no reason for me to drink hard liquor.

Beer is my drink of choice because it's just so drinkable. Even bland shit like PBR or light beer is at least crisp and refreshing. Then, there's all the different varieties. I can sodomize my tastebuds with a mega-ultra-super hop extravaganza, crack open a frosty can of macrobrew lager, or have a malt-tastic stout that's darker than yo Mama's ass crack. Also, between beer, liquor, and wine, beer goes the best with food.

How about the faggots who think it's somehow cool to have a large part of a room dedicated solely to the elaborate mixing of drinks?

Not calling them snobs, but just people who seem to have very odd priorities.

Nothing worse than a pretentious scotch fag

>Which alcohol snob do you hate the most

Niggers who want to go to some fancy place or a breasturant to drink, only to order something like budlight or something which normally is 3.50 but at this play 5-6 bucks because ~atmosphere~

Beer snobs. I love beer, drink mostly local craft form here in San Diego, but beer snobs need to swallow a revolver.

There is also this weird sub-type of scotchfag - irish whisky fag who thinks that every single irish whisky > any scotch.

I think your definition of "snob" is my definition of "enthusiast," which is of course not a bad thing to be (unless you're trying to rile people up on the internet). You cross the line to "snob" when a superiority complex develops out of this enthusiasm, which doesn't always happen.

go to Munich.

i drink good scotch/bourbon/rye or higher-end beer at home in moderation when "chillin."

when i go out, i slam cheap beer and shoot well whiskey. if anyone tries to one-up me i can just school them and they look like asses. it's rare, but a great feeling to turn the tables on someone preying and trying to spit game

They don't do mild or bitters in Germany.

I thought most Bavarian Helles type brews counted as mild. either way, great stuff whether you're having 1 or 6, and they have withstood centuries of changes in beer culture

as long as people don't bother others with their hobby too much I don't really care. They should allow me to put whisky in my coke basically.

dunno if samefag but I agree, IPA fucking sucks
here in the NW everyone religiously drinks that shit like it's the best, or actually a real beer. Degenerates....

>Being a snob about something isnt so bad. Being an asshole about what someone else likes or how they drink it or what theyre drinking is whats bad.
This, basically. I like a wide range of drinks - beer, whisky, bourbon, wine, and gin. If I can afford it and it is available, I will generally pick something that I know I like and stay away from the cheap stuff that I know I don't. However I will happily drink a can of Fosters or whatever if it is all that is around and I sure as hell won't complain about it or mock those who like things that I don't. If someone wants to try a nice bottle of something I have around the house then I am happy to let them.

I fucking hate people who try to force their preferences on others and act as if they are superior because they prefer some local breweries offerings over mass produced lager. Especially autists who don't understand normal social standards - if you go out to a bar with friends then you are not there to sample craft beer, so don't fucking complain when you are faced with a limited choice of well known stuff. Fair enough if you are going to a tasting session or whatever and the offer you Miller, but you aren't.

Depends what you are drinking. I sip whisky quite often when I am at home by myself because I like it. Something like Talisker with a couple of drops of water in it is really nice and full of flavour.

Apparently I'm a hipster for going to a bar and asking what stouts they have on tap.
Man being a hipster is mainstream

They may be on to something here

Brewdog has good beer though

I really hate how they pull this sort of shit as some of their beer is pretty good and no more expensive than regular stuff here in the UK at least. Might be wrong but I think they have dropped that BS on the new style bottles, will check and report back when I go to Tesco later

Trick question, its cocktail faggots.

Whiskey fags & beer hipsters I get: those both have a wide range of styles and tastes, and there is a clear taste difference between them.

Wine snobs are fucking hilarious; it's been proven, time and time again, that all of those "tasting notes" are total bullshit: given cheap plonk in an expensive bottle, the vast majority can't tell the difference. Fuck, some can't even tell the difference between red wine, and white wine with red food colouring in it.

Then you've got the Vodka fags and Gin fags. Get the fuck out of here; you can't taste shit.

>all of those "tasting notes" are total bullshit: given cheap plonk in an expensive bottle, the vast majority can't tell the difference
Kek, any links for that?

I drink £5 a bottle Australian red wine and it tastes as good as anything I have had at fancy restaurants / wine snobs houses. I always knew fancy wine was a meme

Whisky*

The only snob I don't like is the one that turns their nose up at me getting shit faced/enjoying myself (only at the expense of myself the next day). It could be a cheap cask of wine or a $60 bottle of vodka.
I've never met an actual drink snob, only judgy cunts who think their cool because they sit at tipsy all night.

Never forget, half drunk is a waste of money.

>The "vodka doesn't taste like anything" guy

ALL vodka tastes identical: it tastes of Vodka. If it doesn't taste of Vodka, it tastes of industrial alcohol. There is no subtlety in flavour. You can not taste any. Stop trying to pretend you can, you insufferably pretentious cunt.

Also theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis is good and has a bunch of links to primary sources.

Calm your nuts faggot
of course vodka has very specific taste but it doesn't mean there is no difference between triple-filtered vodka and diluted nail polish remover

Vodka definitely has different tastes. I've tried three brands in my life, I can't remember the first two but they tasted great, it was like drinking fire. Then I bought a bottle of smirnoff and it was disgusting, just pure bitterness.

Like I said, it either tastes of Vodka, or it tastes of industrial alcohol. That's it. There is no subtlety.

Right, and some people like the vodka taste.

I'm talking specifically about the insufferable faggots who endlessly debate different brands of vodka and pretend they can taste any difference between them, not people who just "like vodka".

It's the same difference as between the IPA hipster faggot and a guy who prefers a pale ale when he's in the pub.

There's subtle differences like sweetness of taste or oiliness on your pallet (I've always found Absolut to have a vaguely oily texture for instance).

There's differences, just no where near as obvious as brown spirits or other alcohol like ouzo that are about herbs etc.

wine and whiskey are premium products. they require autism and can be very expensive. snobbery is permissible.

beer is cheap and working class. anyone can make it in their bath, filter it through their neckbeard, shove it in a hipstery bottle and sell it to other cunts. snobbery is laughable. it's like hamburger snobbery if that was a thing.

Idiot child. You might as well claim all brands of bottled water taste the same. Just because vodka tastes the same after it's mixed and poured over ice doesn't mean people can tell the difference. Even YOU can tell the difference, you just haven't had the opportunity to make the attempt because you're underage.

>Just because vodka tastes the same after it's mixed and poured over ice doesn't mean people can tell the difference

Subtle, user. Subtle.

>Wine is premium

Only the absolute, top end, "Only made 5 bottles 87 years ago and they were locked in a Nunnery until the Nazi's stole them and drank 4 of them" type of wine are out of reach for the average person (and that stuff is almost universally not even worth the price anyway. Shit a lot of it is undrinkable)

Even the experts can't tell the difference between any given average bottle of wine. That's not snobbery, it's unsupported bullshit, and it's designed to keep people "out".

>tfw win price to quality ratio balances out at $10-$15 dollars

>the only options are 2 buck chuck and DRC la tache
>wine is designed to make me feel dumb
>experts can't tell bandol from TBA riesling
I don't mind people who lack knowledge. What I really don't like is people who intentionally avoid it and take pride in the fact

>the only options are 2 buck chuck and DRC la tache

That is the exact opposite of what I said.

They can't even tell the difference between red & white. See You are precisely the exact sort of idiot I'm talking about.

>You are precisely the exact sort of idiot I'm talking about
Right back at ya

Oh no, a wine snob thinks I'm an idiot. How will I ever cope.

>ignorant and proud of it

but liquors have some sort of magical sweetness that awakens your inner child. only problem i have is that they dry out my throat

>A wine snob who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between red & white thinks I'm ignorant.

Oh no. Please stop, you're killing me here etc.

You don't even know what makes a red wine "red" or a white wine "white", let alone what TBA stands for or what "bandol" is.

The thing that makes you a terrible person is not that you don't know. It's not even that you don't care to know. It's that you think not knowing means you "defeated" the mean elitists who invented a time machine and invented a beverage thousands of years ago so that you would feel dumb in the 21st century with all the world's knowledge at your fingertips. Instead of using that knowledge, you use a search engine to find examples that cater to your unwavering belief that expert opinion is just a tool of oppression and that technology should be used to "fight back" and show those mean experts how irrelevant they are.

Grape skin contact is what makes wines red. That's it. Plenty of white wines are made from red grapes.Trockenbeerenauslese is fungus wine that is viscous, overly sweet shit, some vintages are okay. Tokaji or Saunteres are better dessert wines.

Is that how you did all your work in school? Read wikipedia and salt it with a "just" or "that's it" here and there to make it seem like your opinion?

>No no I'm right because I say I'm right

It's interesting that you think I'm rejecting "expert" opinion, when I've given you two links that give primary sources from studies that prove that wine snobs *can't tell the difference* between wines. Literal, scientific studies.

So no, in fact I trust the studies, that have been repeated multiple times, that prove your claims are total horeseshit and that wine snobs are, for the vast part of it, making it all up to try and sound clever.

Here, because you're so hard of reading, I'll gather some of those link here so you can go educate yourself on your little hobby:

cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/an-examination-of-judge-reliability-at-a-major-us-wine-competition/15EF999FBAC63C5FB6DCF1C2F4BB6655
cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/an-analysis-of-the-concordance-among-13-us-wine-competitions/0133849E8FD76B5D20A13C9F720EE102
cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/how-expert-are-expert-wine-judges/A9F356BC73B3E38F8DF81C7D70F80D10
daysyn.com/Morrot.pdf
ageconsearch.tind.io/record/37328
theguardian.com/science/2011/apr/14/expensive-wine-cheap-plonk-taste
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

How's that for belief in expert opinion? Now go back to your full bodied red (or white? Hard to tell isn't it?) with notes of blackberries, summer holidays in Ryhll, fish fingers and dead hedgehog.

I'm not even the same person you were talking to. Listing off obscure wines or random factoids means you sat through Weiss' class and passed by the skin of your teeth, OR are currently enjoying his musky Austrian odor. One or the other.

Most wine is shit, Argentinean and African wines are the only quality products on Canadian/American shelves. Some NZ Sauvignon Blanc is okay.

>Gin
>The one spirit with a wild amount of variation in flavours through botanical usage all taste the same

I don't even like gin and I can easily tell the difference between them

1. The guardian is not a "primary study", it's a newspaper
2. I too could google up 45 minutes of reading and say "if you don't read this I win", but that's extremely transparent trolling, so I won't
3. I'm familiar with the "study" in question and it doesn't prove what you think it proves

>riesling is obscure
Are you the same idiot who was arguing that tarragon is obscure the other day?

>The guardian is not a "primary study"

No but you seemed so shy of actual information I thought I'd throw in something soft for you, you poor lamb.

>I too could google up 45 minutes of reading and say "if you don't read this I win", but that's extremely transparent trolling, so I won't

Who's rejecting "experts" now? Suit yourself, if you won't educate yourself that's not my problem.

>I'm familiar with the "study"

There are multiple primary studies I linked to.

>if you don't spend an hour typing up a point-by-point refutation of my huge ass pile of shit I googled up in 30 seconds, I win
And if I do, you get to say "lol u mad"

How about we stick to the facts: you believe wine exists to make you feel dumb, you believe the only options are 2 buck chuck and DRC la tache, and you GENUINELY believe that (a) riesling is obscure, and (b) experts can't detect drastic differences in sugar levels because of some article with a bunch of words you barely understood but which seemed to support your deep seated suspicion that it was all a trick to embarrass you

You can put on your dunce cap and sit in the corner now

The fuck's wrong with stouts? Did some chocolate peanut oatmeal espresso milk stout touch your no no zone or something?

This isn't about winning, user. I've stated my position, I've supported it with facts. You're ignoring those facts. That's your problem.

>How about we stick to the facts
>Proceeds to list a bunch of things he made up.

You're really not very good at this are you?

>experts can't detect drastic differences in sugar levels because of some article with a bunch of words

No, they can't. The study has been repeated numerous times; I've given you links to a bunch of of them. You could repeat the study yourself, today, and reach the same result. Because they can't. This isn't some voodoo science; there isn't even a single credible study that casts any doubt on this; wine "experts" largely can't tell cheap plonk from expensive wines. Under some circumstances, they can't even tell white from red.

I can see how this upsets you; I'd probably be upset if I'd based my personality, in part, on my self proclaimed expertise in something that's been proven to be total rubbish. I mean your whole persona as a wine expert is a lie, and it doesn't require much intelligence to uncover the truth that it's a lie. I'd be upset about that, it's perfectly normal and I can't blame you for that: but I can blame you for continuing to deny that fact while clinging to a barely credible position while at the same time trying to cast *others* as the ones who are denying reality and ignoring "experts".

I guess it's a strong psychological defense, but it's just not healthy.

Oh and
>you GENUINELY believe that (a) riesling is obscure

That wasn't me. Do try to keep up.

>Under some circumstances, designed specifically by wine experts to point out a phenomenon to other wine experts
>Therefore, in all circumstances, I'm smarter than the experts
:^)

ITT: alcoholic hipsters

Not all TBA is made from Riesling grapes....

>Things that weren't said, again.

You really do love believing things are just straight made up, don't you?

I think you've beautifully proven the point of how insufferable wine snobs are. Thanks.

>BUT NOT ALL TBA
Thanks Dr. Google

>I'm wrong
>I'll continue to shitpost obscure things even I'm not versed in

Do carry on...