Never made noodles before. Just splurged on one of these. Looking at recipes, some say salt & some say never salt...

Never made noodles before. Just splurged on one of these. Looking at recipes, some say salt & some say never salt. Some say whole eggs and some say whole eggs with additional yolks. Some say regular flour and some call for variations on a bit of semolina to all semolina.

Could someone please share their experience before I start rolling future pasta through my new noodle maker?

Big thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KHOImyBOY8E?t=249
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are a lot of different types of noodles, most are made using different ingredients.

Just try a few ways and see what you like.

The fact that you see so many variations should be a hint to you that those details don't really matter much.

should have invested that extra dosh of yours instead of wasting it

Watch some malto mario on youtube. Mario Batali makes pasta in about every episode.

I'll just recemnded semolina flour or a bread flour, something with high gluten. Anyway yah there's a lot of different variations just play around a little. I use extra virgin olive oil to add extra fats instead of yolks.

control the temperature of the dough. i've found it nearly impossible to get a decent result on a hot day - the dough sticks too much.

clear everything off the counter before you start rolling it out, and have some baking sheets around to store the noodles you've rolled out.

Don't make your life hard . I got a roller for Christmas and use normal white flour and egg yolks . Make the dough & let sit for a hour. Take off chunks sprinkle lots of flour on and after it is rolled out add more. Start on a wide setting and reroll 2 more times thinning the setting by half each time .

Do NOT underestimate how sticky this shit is.

100%

UN
EN
FUCKING
RICHED

PURE
DURUM
SEMINOLA

Get all that? No other base material will keep your liver from dying because MUH VITAMINS.
You can order this. It's not 100% viable for ramen, so find unenriched wheat flour to cut it if the taste needs redirected.

>usa government is about to shut down
>buy buy buy!
kek

I like to use 75% "00" flour and 25% semolina. For each 100g of flour add 1 medium egg. For each 200g of flour add 1 tsp of EVOO. You can find "00" at Italian groceries and Walmart where I am in bumfuck backwater has recently started carrying. God knows why because I'm probably the only fuckwad in 20 square miles that buys it.

>Mario Batali
I hate that guy..

When did you meet Mario Batali?
Story time?

2nding this.
Another good one is to watch the episodes of the old Iron Chef show with Iron Chef Kobe. He trained at a 3-star place in Italy and would usually make pasta from scratch every time. There are many up on youtube.

this is good advice op

I think that particular model makes only spaghetti and tagliatelle

The easiest way to make tagliatelle would be 350g flour, pinch of salt, 3 eggs, some olive oil. Dump it in the fridge, let it rest, take out, roll out, make tagliatelle

If you want to dye your pasta, brown = cocoa, yellow = saffron, green = spinach purée, black = food-grade activated charcoal, purple = beet purée, orange = carrot purée. Always mix it with the eggs first, and then add the flour

>If you want to dye your pasta
Oh, yeah, the ideal ratio is 50:50. If the purée is too moist, add more flour

Just try ten eggs and a kilo of flour.

I was lucky enough to find a bunch of Bob's Red Mill semolina on a discontinued shelf at the store tonight. Haven't been able yet to find a local source for "00".

Thanks for what you all have shared so far. Fill this thread up will all advice & caveats & I'll archive it for future noodling around.

OP

youtu.be/KHOImyBOY8E?t=249

I do mine with 3 cups AP flour to like 4 or 5 eggs. I start with 3 then add until it isn't too dry to stick together. If I have pasta flour it's straight 3 cups pasta flour (like 00 shit or whatever) to 3 eggs and that's usually perfect. Throw that shit together then fuck with it in some flour until it's Silky, maybe a little wet, saran wrap and throw that bitch in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, but as long as you can wait. You can add whatever the fuck you want to it if you want, but it doesn't really matter in my experience. Then flatten it a bit, start with the largest setting on your thing, then go smaller each time. My girlfriend said we were supposed to fold it over then put it through but she's fucking dumb so just keep putting it through, if it's too long cut it, then cut into squares when it's thin enough for you and cut it however you want. I got really into pasta late last year and have been making it a lot because I used to buy it a lot and wanted to make it. I used a rolling pin and just very recently got a machine. This is my experience. The cool thing about cooking is there isn't really just one way to do it, just do whatever you want senpai.

Make sure you let your pasta dough rest in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.

Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the batch.

Both of these tips will help your machine stay clean as the dough won't want to stick as much.

This is what I've used when I make pasta:

V1:
100g semolina flour
1 whole egg
dash of olive oil
pinch of salt
Results: excellent
The size of your egg is going to impact the consistency of your dough. If your dough is dry, add more olive oil. If it's too wet, add more semolina.

V2:
100g AP flour
1 whole egg
pinch of salt
Results: excellent
You can use water or olive oil to thin out your dough, and add flour to stiffen.

The semolina has a nice flavor that differs from the AP pasta, and that's the one I prefer for Italian dishes, but if I want to make Asian dishes, or just some noodles for a soup or whatever, I go with the AP flour recipe.