Why do e-books cost this fucking much???

THEYRE LITERALLY FUCKING TEXT FILES AND THATS IT, I SHOULDNT HAVE TO BUY 9.00 DOR A FUCKING TEXT FILE REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Other urls found in this thread:

bookfi.net/book/1869105
gutenberg.org/ebooks/2680
gutenberg.org/ebooks/1004
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are you actually pondering over whether or not pay for a book that's been in the public domain for more than a thousand years?

I liked the fancy cover

Because authors deserve to get paid and be supported for the work they do--provided its not a public domain work.

You realize ancient Romans are typically public domain?

Translations have been in the public domain for only 200. Check and mate.

How much does the author of a traditionally-published ebook usually make on each sale? 1%? 2%?

Lol is Mein Kampf public domain?

bookz....

>mfw I bought two 500 page books off amazon for 2 cents plus 5$ shipping

LIVING BIG

>download calibre
>find the pdf (almost every book is in pdf form when you google search ('book title' pdf)
>use calibre to convert the pdf to the compatible ebook format
>put it on your ereader

there

how about you go home and get your shinebox

calibres pdf to epub conversion is literal shit.

Atheists btfo!

YOU DONT HAVE TO RUB IT IN OUR FACES AMAZON FAG

NO ONE CARES THAT YOU HAVE PRIME

lmao literally every ebook is free if you have a working brain in your head. Its even worse when you pay for a book that predates the existence of copyright laws by thousands of years.

This. Marcus Aurelius NEEDS compensation.

Probably the only real answer is because the market will pay it. Infinite stock, extremely low distribution costs, and still charge 80% the cost of a hardback.

I pirate everything. I don't want to own the physical book or ebook anyways. I just want to read it once, like from the library, and then not have to keep it on my bookshelf. I already have enough crap.

No but the translators do you dumb fuck

why?

So books gets translated and cunts like you can read them and become the pseudo-intellectual of your communities

Just use Library Genesis and Calibre like a normal person.

>paying for a book by a dead author

bookz

lmao what kind of moron pays for books in the year 2016

What a cuck. I bet you believe in intellectual property too. Wait i even you even believe in the concept of physical property.

For a board that most loves books, we don't really care about the book industry at all.

>muh book industry
good goy!

Intellectual """property""" isn't real

He doesn't but the translators and editors certainly do.

Big publishers will end up dropping the prices for ebooks as the self published star authors and hybrid authors become more common. Currently there's a lot of garbage in the indie market but contests like SPFBO bring the cream of the crop to the fore, also some tradpub authors get sick of shit industry (unless they are super rich best sellers) and go hybrid. Indie published books are quite affordable and the authors do 99 cent promos when they launch a new book.

Publishing industry is going to have to adapt one way or another.

I feel like there are too many authors out now, so that everyone and their brother is writing a shitty indie published book. Too much garbage to sift through, so I stick to big publishers, best sellers, and stuff that gets reviewed in large publications. That means I miss all the indie stuff, but it's their fault for going indie. How am I to know if any of it's good?

or you could just dl the meditations epub?

For fantasy, SPFBO contest does the sifting. Quite a few of the finalists and semifinalists got big house publishing deals.

I follow quite a few reputable genre blogs and some fb groups and find the good indies from there. Haven't read a single bad indie cause I pick them by word of mouth. I've read quite a few horrible tradpub books in my day (random impulse buys) but anything I bought on word of mouth or good reviews by people who have the same taste as myself turned out awesome, indie or otherwise.

>2016
>not joining a literary circle and getting your name out before publishing a book
>not saying outrageous political shit to get people to pay attention to you
>still expecting people to buy your shit books

bookfi.net/book/1869105

>lmao literally every ebook is free if you have a working brain in your head
Prove it.

Get me a free copy of anything by Edogawa Rampo other than Japanese Tales of Mystery and Imagination and The Early Cases of Akechi Kogoro, specially The Boy Detectives Club (translated by Gavin Frew). Or I'll give you an even easier one: Hiroshi Mori's Seven Stories translated by Ryusui Seiryoin, which was published as a cheap ebook but apparently is nowhere to be found free.

who the hell reads that you nerd
lol

gutenberg.org/ebooks/2680

if it's not in copyright you shouldn't pay for it.

Most Gutenberg translations are shit though

I thought so.

Some specialized academic books and out of print rare books don't have ebook copies.

There are books I haven't been able to find even a second hand hard copy anywhere and I've been searching for years.

Example: the English translation of Gog by Giovanni Papini, not to be found anywhere, for sale or pirated.

This. They are never readable when converted

I pirate books but this is a crap argument. You are paying for the translation not the literal text. Although plenty of publishers will produce translations of classical works just as the old ones run out of copyright.

shut

convert it to mobi then epub, thats what I always do.

You are all a bunch of assholes if you enjoy something someone has written have the decency to contribute something back to them.

Nah fuck those niggas they didn't wanna publish my book

>Not spending the big bucks on physical books so you can show off your bookshelf

Pathetic

gutenberg.org/ebooks/1004

Not always.

You would be better to crop headers and footers with adobe, and save as a reduced size pdf with slightly larger font, and then just read the pdf on your kindle.

Buy the fucking real books, faggot
PAPER, I MEAN: PAPER

>Medium>Content

Dont be a faggot, I only read hand transcribed works on papyrus and illuminated manuscript.

>Look up academic book on Amazon
>the fucking ebook is more expensive than the 2 inch thick physical one
>$80 for one smug cunt who knows uni library's and desperate students will have to purchase it regardless of its quality