Ok, Veeky Forums, I'm on winter break with nothing to do for a month and want to tackle this behemoth

Ok, Veeky Forums, I'm on winter break with nothing to do for a month and want to tackle this behemoth.

How good is it?

The one character you want to die, won't. That's all im saying

Haha, I'm intrigued

I'm also on break and I'm about 1/4 of the way through it. I'm really enjoying it. Just be prepared for plenty of tangents that don't seem related to the story at first that end up actually going somewhere.

Planning on starting this tommorow, is it anything like war and peace?

It's well known Les mis influenced pretty much every 19th author. As for what they have in common, Napoleon appears on Les mis

I'm not exactly familiar with Hugo's style, is there an author he is comparable to?

but gavroche did die

Nigga if you aint reading the Charles Wilbur translation you need to gtfo

It's my favorite book. Lots of unnecessary stuff about sewers, but the rest just knocked my socks off. Did I just say "knocked my socks off?" Fuck.

pick infinite jest instead

Tolstoy

Hahahaha you can't be serious

The books of Machado de Assis are very similar and better

>not mario

The musical's bretty gud. My sister enjoyed the book. The film was shit.

Prepare yourself for several dozen pages of creeping on underage girls while walking through the park.

Aha, jokes on you, I don't need any preparation. All my creeping gear is packed and ready at all times.

10th anniversary is the only good play. There is a reason why it's referred to as the dream cast. I also agree that the movie was shit.

I'll be honest, I have a soft spot for the full symphonic recording. Japanese Eponine and over-exuberant Valjean are strangely charming.

>full symphonic recording

tis a good one too.

Watch it Reddit.

extraordinarily

10% god tier, 50% good buck, 40% filler regarding the paris sewer system and the fields of waterloo and Paris city planning.

I enjoyed the movie as a sincere effort by a sentimental cast giving their all. The music does not hold up to the 10th anniversary however.

I'd like to point out that Hugo was a hypocrite.

He was one of the peers of the Kingdom under the monarchy, the highest consultative authority of the country and supported the king, but the king had to fire him because Hugo slept with the wife of another peer, who surprised them in the act and called the police to make a legal statement,
that's when he became anti-monarchist.

I'm reading it in french.

Haven't read the book.

However the film with Hugh Jackman is great. One of my favorite movies. Wanted to mention that to offset the disdain given to it from previous anons.

It's in my top fifty favorite movies for sure.

>The film was shit.
the only movie that made me cry more than Les Mis is Lynch's Elephant Man.
And I was at the movies with a girl I liked.
bawling like a bitch, zero fucks given

>the Waterloo chapter
>filler

"girl"

What are the translations like for this? Ive got an older two volume Everyman's Library version so I'm not sure if it would be outdated or just generally not great.

M E M E L I F E

a frenchman was an egotistical liar who had an affair and chose to betray everything he stood for with cowardice? what a surprise!