How do I improve my mastery of the english language Veeky Forums

How do I improve my mastery of the english language Veeky Forums

how does one go about learnin german so i can read nietzsche in the original

Read

Buy a few books on grammur and read--a lot.

Not by using duolingo. I tried my method of just watching german movies... didn't work. It's too complex a language.

Try to look into diagramming sentences and reading up on punctuation. I see a lot of even native speakers struggle with forming sentences that "look" right when you write them out. Things like separating extra independent clauses from a sentence, learning how to use commas, and keeping your tenses and suffixes consistent through multiple paragraphs can make your writing 5 times easier to read.

If you want to learn more words, or know better which word to use in a certain setting, only reading and more reading will help. Try to write down words you don't see often and look them up in a dictionary/thesaurus, and take note of the context in which they are used.

Read Mastery by Robert Greene.

Have you tried being born in Germany? It worked for me feels bad

in the first phase, you must read widely. discover as much literature as you can, but don't read more than 500 or so pages of any particular author.

by the time you've read, say, 25k-30k pages, you'll have found a few authors you really enjoy. go back to these, and read everything they've written. read every short story, poem, letter, book review, and napkin scribbling you can get your hands on. live them. breathe them. read secondary literature on them. read their biographies.

master their styles. learn their ticks. bolster the weaknesses of the one with the strengths of the other, and forge your style in fires of our modern antiquity.

Seems stupid, but if you don't know the exact definition of a word 100%, look it up and commit it to memory.
Even if you know what it means from sentence context, and even if it's a slightly older/out of use word.

Anki is the way, but right now is useless unless you want to learn japanese.

We have the technology

Attend a german university.
Otherwise attend a german course, atleasr 3 days a week

you cant, you've already achieved the highest level of comprehension

read my diary

nevermind i think i'ma into french deeper instead already took four semesters of this shit nietzsche would approve

I stand by duolingo, its not going to make you a fluent natural speaker but its incredibly useful to learn your core vocabulary and grammar, so you can then begin learning through comprehending and speaking.

That won't work with any language until you already know a bit

Im in love with this meme. How far can it go?

by making it the medium through which you get access to something you are interested in.

memrise > duolingo

though i havent tried duolingo's ai chatbot, that might be pretty cool but it's only on ios

I never heard of memrise, giving it a go though its clearly very inferior to duolingo.

Read a variety of literature, watch movies in that language without subtitles and speak the language a lot with native speakers preferably.

it actually has you learning phrases you will use rather than a funny string of random words that have no use like the elephants tiny balls stroked your chin

Abstraction is a fundamental part of developing fluency. If you're just exposed to common phrases you won't come to understand how sentences are formed as quickly

seconding this

Movies are bad because you are trying to follow the story and enjoy the movie while also being hit with trying to understand the language.

I had a spanish exchange student friend who came to America, perfectly fine with conversational english and reading but required subtitles when we watched movies else it would ruin it for him.

Can we all agree that meme is getting disgusting?

>buy a grammar
>learn syntax
>buy a dictionary
>learn vocabulary
>read

This is how you learn every language provided you aren't a retard. Granted this method won't turn you into MUH FLUENT social butterfly, but you probably aren't that in English either.

same boat as op: i feel my usage of english plateau'd like more than a decade ago. i should check some youtube videos, got recommendations at that level?

>reading Nietzsche at all