Are jalapenos the perfect spicy pepper? They're hot, but not so hot that they overwhelm everything else in a dish

Are jalapenos the perfect spicy pepper? They're hot, but not so hot that they overwhelm everything else in a dish.

For whatever reason I find that jalapenos vary in heat more than any other pepper I buy. Sometimes they're nearly heatless, other times they will give a habnaro a run for its money.

Depends on how receptive you are to heat. To me, the perfect balance of heat and flavor is the Serrano. And I'm sure the big swinging dicks are coming to tell us about their daily Carolina reaper consumption. It's pretty subjective. And like says, jalapeños themselves can vary in heat hugely from pepper to pepper

Yeah I've noticed this too. Is there such thing as a digital capsaicin probe?

This, serranos are delicious.

>Is there such thing as a digital capsaicin probe?

Nope. But you can taste the peppers and adjust accordingly. They're so cheap (in my area, anyway) that I always buy far more than I think I might need. I taste them before cooking and that way if they end up mild I just add more. If they're unexpectedly hot then I remove the central core and might use fewer of them.

Any extras can get used up as snacks, dried for use later, tossed in with some other random food, etc.

How do you dry at home?

I prefer thai chilis.

with a towel

I'm lazy so all I do is cut the peppers in half longways and leave them sitting out on a cake rack.

You could also put them on a baking tray in the oven on a low heat (or just the pilot flame if you have gas) and the door cracked. Or use a dehydrator.

Some people string them up with a needle and thread and let them hang in the kitchen; that works too.

It's not foolproof but you can generally tell how spicy a pepper is going to be by looking at it. Older peppers tend to be hotter so red jalapenos are likely to be spicy. Striations along the pepper are another good indicator of spice. You can really never know until you take a bite though.

The peppers that I get at the store are usually huge but my old jalapeno plant produced small peppers that were always fairly damn hot so I think size might be a good indicator as well but I really don't know.

I don't like jalapeños, I put a quarter block of Velveeta with them in it on some broccoli and cauliflower 10 years ago and ruined them for life. I tear up ghost peppers and bells mainly now.

I prefer jalanenos

hella f*ckin epic my man

Jesus Christ, those eggs are eye rape.

I think so, but like others I've found they vary in heat. I've had some that were shockingly hot and then have had others that are barely even noticeable.

This. Jalapeños are to be made into candy.

Habenaro or GTF out my face.

Jalapeno are a pretty bland pepper, both in terms of flavour and piquancy.

For snacking etc. Habaneros are hard to beat, good heat and a really strong, distinctive flavour.

>habnaro
>Habenaro
I never understood this struggle blacks have to remember the vowels. "Habanero".

Americans are stupid

For me, its the scotch bonett

The little Piquin is. Bite the food, bite the pepper, repeat to infinity. Nice heat (middle road between serranos and habaneros) but doesn't fuck up your bowels.

Angry onions.

Serranos are my go to greens chilis. They are way more consistent than jalapenos and just a bit hotter.

these are fantastic as well

Jalapenos are great for tossing with other vegetables when you wanna add a little heat. Banana and cubanelle peppers are best for stuffing, though, which is what I usually like to do with peppers.

>Serranos are my go to greens chilis

They are hotter, but they don't have anywhere near as much delicious jalapeno taste.

Stuffing peppers usually involves removing the seeds which removes most of the heat, unfortunately.

That's why you add the seeds/guts to the stuffing mixture

I disagree. I think they taste better. And again, they are more consistent. Half the jalapenos I buy are bland as fuck.

I think heat variations with jalapenos are just more apparent because the pepper isnt all that hot to start with. Like when you get a more mild habanero you may not notice it since they are already really hot.

serranos are the best because the flavor blends well with everything

jalapenos have a more distinct flavor whereas serranos have a more general pepper flavor