Is there any legitimate way to overcome death anxiety without adopting some kind of religious or "spiritual" belief?

Is there any legitimate way to overcome death anxiety without adopting some kind of religious or "spiritual" belief?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FfjHgPZ7WWA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've accepted it, and I'm not a very religious person. I've always doubted. I've just come to accept it.

When you want to die it disappears.

If there is no afterlife then being dead is more like going to sleep without any dreams, which can be pretty pleasant anyway. You won't even notice it's forever since there is no more perception of time.

I guess you could just stop giving a fuck. You can take on the philosophy of religion without subscribing to it in a literal sense...

That is if you aren't so stuck in your way that that you can't see it for it's figurative and philosophical purposes and what theism has brought to this world. You don't have to believe in the teachings word for word, but trust in the guidance and meaning of the parables.

If you spin a weight on the end of a string, you feel centrifugal force, but it goes away when you stop spinning. That is because the only force that is there is centripetal force of the string.

But that and all force is just a condition of the representation you call reality.
The World is but you can't know anything about it without a story, because, without a story, you could not distinguish anything from a story of randomness.

Just because you don't have a story of the story doesn't mean it isn't a story. You have recursively made a representation of your story and kept the stories that are useful to be believed in achieving your desires, key among these is survival.

So everything is a story. The story of the brain is that it is a sense organ that senses itself, then senses itself sensing itself.
This recursion has taps where the World tells you whether your story is useful to be believed or it stops.

You are a story. When the string stops spinning you are not.
That is because you never were.

>9000
Must be right.

Opiates works than religion IMO.

Burroughs pls

Same

Come to terms with the fact that we're living in a block universe and that you're dead already.

>Feeling fear necessitates sentience.
>Death is the end of sentience.
>What lies beyond sentience is of no concern to us and thus, nothing to be afraid of.
>Ergo, death is the end of fear and sentience. Thus it's nothing to be afraid of.

Also, when we are, Death is not.
When death is, we are not.

Suicide.

Why not just cut to the chase? Eliminate the anxiety by killing yourself now.

>going to sleep without any dreams, which can be pretty pleasant
>you won't even notice

>implying being dead can be experienced
>implying there will continue to be a "you" past death

No. Humanity will always fear the unknown and the only way to lose that fear is to lose your humanity.
Without the anxiety of death, we lose all concept of values and worth. Life and the fear of death, gives meaning to the world.
You might not think about it, you might accept death, you might indulge in hedonistic pleasure to the point where you feel numb and cannot feel the anxiety, but it always returns. It must always be there.

You must accept that anxiety and use whatever time you have left to do whatever you want that will give you happiness.

>we shouldn't fear the unknown simply because we know nothing of it

lsd and ketamine help (do both at the same time)

the feeling you'll get (ego death) is similar to dying and you'll start to understand why its not so scary to just go back into the "god" consciousness once your vessel expires

only ego dies.

Eventually it'll harry and frighten you to the point that you're innured to it. I lay awake shivering and nearly in tears with the acute realization I was going to die for nearly three years. Now, I realize it, but it seems distant and impossible. I know it's there but hardly care. You'll get over it, but it won' be a fun ride, and it ultimately changes nothing.

No one ever truly accepts death, you're fooling yourself.

You either experience the fact of it with sublime terror or you operate under seven layers of cognitive dissonance where you don't allow yourself to consciously think of it as real.

Robert Anton Wilson tricked himself into believing that medicine would 100% guaranteed find a way to extend his life indefinitely before his death

Apparently the first person to live to 1000 is already alive. So, at least our younger generation can put off thinking about it for at minimum another hundred years.

That's a great picture.

what the fug happend in the pic

t. plato

Try Nihilism

The Stranger

Snake? SNAAAAAKE!

It's simply, just hire someone to kill you at a random time that he will never reveal to you. You will then be able to live every moment knowing your death is certain, that you are ultimately the cause of it, and it will be impossible to predict.

Read some Yalom.

I have never been anxious of dieing.
I probably accepted and welcomed death at an early age.

I am more anxious of fickle things like giving presentations or being late to an appointment.

In a way I see death as a reprieve from the anxiety and burden life puts on me. I have nothing to lose if I killed myself and if I died by other means I would be forgiven for my current debts to those who have loved me.

Have the sense not to fret over the inevitable. We all die and once it's done you won't be able to care so what's the point in letting it get you down?

Yup. Wanna know how I know you're still wet behind the ears with afterbirth? i report u

I'm so scared of it, Veeky Forums.

It's such an enormous terror.

No.

I don't accept death, I accept my fear of it.

smoke heroin

Dying is inextricable from the harsh flame of sexual torture in which one is progressively consumed. It does not patiently await its consummation, but gnaws at the base of the brain; grinding each life into eroticized debris. Survival dissolves as a frangible dam does—eroded to bits by the tumult of energetic rage—so that sexual craving is the howl of nature’s fringe pounded into trash by the sun.

Humanity is a petrified fiction hiding from zero, a purgatorial imprisonment of dissolution, but to be stricken with sanctity is to bask in death like a reptile in the sun. God is dead, but more importantly, God is death. The beginning of the secret is that death is immense.

- Steve Goodman

youtube.com/watch?v=FfjHgPZ7WWA