Why are people so bewildered at the fact that I do not drink alcohol...

Why are people so bewildered at the fact that I do not drink alcohol? Whenever I tell someone they either laugh at me or look at me like I have 2 heads. My cousins at family gatherings won't even talk to me and they'll just make fun of me from a distance.

Why? What's so great about alcohol that I'm missing out? I just don't want to drink it.

>My cousins at family gatherings won't even talk to me and they'll just make fun of me from a distance.

Gee no shit, usually at parties or gatherings people will have a beer or two, maybe more. People are just giving you shit, nothing personal. No one cares if you don't drink, just don't be that guy who is alone at a party where everyone is drinking and you're not because "I don't drink". Just fill up a cup with some soda or some shit and be sociable.

It's nothing great, I just use it in recipes. I taste it, but don't resort to drinking it alone, or tasting it multiple times and-- oh look at that the bottle's half gone.

Most people enjoy alcohol. The fact that you don't consume it in any amount without being a recovering alcoholic or something similar is a very strange thing from a social aspect.

I know plenty of people who don't drink for one reason or another, it's fine, but just don't get preachy about alcohol and most people will understand.

Social pressure

Because it is not fun drinking around someone who doesnt drink. Everybody becomes a little bit stupid and sentimental when boozed, and sharing that is a way to bond with other people.

It is not fun when you are getting boozed and some fag stays sober.

>when someone gets drunk and expects the other person to sauce up
>when someone is sober and expects the other person to stay placid
I hate them faggots.

Get new friends. Seriously.
I do drink alcohol when I want to, but I would never make fun of someone who doesn't want to. When I offer someone a drink and that person declines, that's okay.
All those who make fun of you are bending under social pressure and lack self-esteem and -respect.

>sharing that is a way to bond
lol what? You can only bond with people if you get wasted? I should feel sorry for you, but you are a retard.
Ever tried staying sober when your friends "bond"? Try it, and see how ridiculous they become.
Yes, I'm saying that as someone who does drink too, see above

Stop pretending you're such a snowflake, there are tons of people who drink very moderately or not at all. You aren't special because of it, you're maybe marginally healthier than somebody who drinks moderately and occasionally depending on genetics. Definitely healthier than somebody who drinks a lot and often though

dumb frogposter

Can you fucking read?

Drinking is a way to bond, but not the only way to bond.

Are you me?

Your cousins probably hate you for other reasons. Are you an anti social anime watching shitbag who uses Veeky Forums lingo on your depressingly inactive normiebook page?

I know a lot of people who never drink and its only weird for them when the people drinking get really fucking hammered and act like assholes

No I am him, you are you.

Jesus christ, did op strike a nerve there?

>depressingly inactive normiebook oage
Only terrible people and the aged use Facebook for anything but keeping track of birthdays anymore.

Why do people with autism always have the need to loudly announce they don't drink? Just say "No thank you". I don't need to hear about how you were raped by your alcoholic father every time you get offered a beer.

I don't drink because my dad was an alcoholic who did a murder suicide with my mom and I don't want to end up like that ever

Consider cocaine?

One thing I've learned over the years is unless someone is a recovering alcoholic, never trust them if they don't drink at least socially in moderation. There's something wrong with someone who won't have 1 or 2 drinks. They weren't made right.

should've been a double murder suicide

>mfw have the same problem
>Friends and family want me to drink
>Always have memory of uncle dying from alcoholism on 18 birthday
>Memory of family saying happy birthday on funeral day
>Decline, hang out with elders, and then drive to other friends or gym.
>Read this thread
So I'm not alone

You are fucking wrong. People with autism, functional, smoke so much weed and drink so much alcohol that you couldn't wrap your head around it.
I drink 1 1/2 gallons of 7% a day and smoke 2 grams most days. Fuck yourself. No one here is a low functioning autist that doesn't need drugs to cope because they don't know what they are.
Faggot.

I don't drink too. But I learned to drink a bottle of beer or a shot or two of liquor to avoid looking like a weirdo.

WAHH WHY DON'T PEOPLE SEE HOW SPECIAL I AM BY ABSTAINING FROM SOMETHING COMMON.

WHY DO THEY MAKE FUN OF ME INSTEAD OF PRAISING ME FOR HAVING THE PERSEVERANCE TO NOT SIP A LIQUID

I only say it when I'm offered a drink, unlike vegans

Your autism is showing user but that's ok everyone on Veeky Forums has autism

It's like someone saying they don't eat hamburgers.

It's just funny and odd. It's a social gathering. Just pick up a drink and just hold it if you want.

It's like saying I refuse to wear shorts. It's just weird. You don't fucking have to do it. It's just odd.

>people think I'm a prude because I don't drink
>blows their minds that I DUDE
I just don't like how booze feels.

>lol what? You can only bond with people if you get wasted?

Not even him but who the fuck said that? Holy fuck you're a legitimate retard.

>You are fucking wrong. People with autism, functional, smoke so much weed and drink so much alcohol that you couldn't wrap your head around it.

Nope. Have a close family number with autism and they won't touch alcohol or smoke.

And don't give me that anecdotal evidence line. It's not like you're providing fucking hard stats. I'm just saying your assumption is really wrong.

Some of them won't. I'm an autistic kid with lupus and drugs are my life and livelihood. I think he is wrong. States are approving marjiuana rapidly for the treatment of autism and there's a good reason, it works.
The ones in the dark do not constitute the majority.

Depends what age group you hang out with. When they ask you why just look somber and say you don't really want to talk about it.

It tastes good once you can appreciate it.
Not being able to appreciate it is indicative of being childish.
That look is them readjusting their perception of you from an adult to a six year old.

On the other hand, there's nothing weird about refusing to wear shorts
Nobody wants to stare at your hairy legs

I mean, it's cool if you don't want to get drunk or high, but why act like am edgelord 18 year old, you know what I mean? You're right about everything you said. Maybe the straight edge autistic people have the emotional maturity of said 18 year olds and that's why they can come off as abrasive and judgemental.

I know a few autistic kids because of where I work. None of them touch alcohol. They hate it.

>On the other hand, there's nothing weird about refusing to wear shorts

I want you to mention this to whatever poor soul has to associate with you.

Say out loud, "I refuse to wear shorts."

See how normal that sounds.

Most people are alcoholics.

t. my ruined liver that socially disadvantages me

Just tell them you're on the wagon they'll love you

>Nobody wants to stare at your hairy legs

Fun fact: when I was stationed in Korea sometime ago and wandered around Seoul in areas unfrequented by Americans, little kids would run out and point at me screeching, "monkeyman, monkeyman," and I'm white ffs. I asked my Korean gf about it and she said they werent used to seeing people wear shorts and that my legs were substantially hairier than asians. Still seems like the little assholes were kind of rude.

And not once did you go "ook ook" and start to chase them. Fucking shame on you.

Just tell people you have a problem and refrain from drinking.

If you don't drink, what do you do when a Nickelback song comes on the radio?

just say "I'm 5 years sober and counting" and they will walk away.

Change to a different station

Seriously, they best way to never have someone fuck with you over not wanting to drink is tell them you are an ex alcoholic who quit.

That sounds stupid as hell, then they'll think you're an alcoholic, which is more uncomfortable in a drinking atmosphere.

try telling people you don't drink and you are 22 years old. people make fun of me
for the next 15 minutes and then ignore me the rest of the night

no, you're a recovering alcoholic. normal alcoholics think recovering alcoholics are the coolest people. you're stronger than them for turning away and you've partied harder than they have to need to quit.

they'll also think you're a man instead of a pussy who doesn't drink cause alcohol is yucky

This. Alcoholics respect alcoholics that have been through the ringer enough to quit. Alcoholics, however, view regular people that don't drink, even socially for other reasons, as suspect.

And like another user said, they should just hold a drink to be sociable at least. The whole notion of, "no thanks" at a party where drinks are served is tantamount to saying I don't want to associate with you degenerates.

>Alcoholics, however, view regular people that don't drink, even socially for other reasons, as suspect.

You can get drunk and kill your wife, you can't get drunk and successfully shoot up a school

Completely wrong. Regular people now know you have a substance abuse issue, and you remind alcoholics about their own issues as an inherent nag.

Making up a lie that you were an addict because you don't drink is fucking retarded.

It dulls people and distracts them from their mundane and unsatisfying lives. If you don't need alcohol in your life to cope, it's obvious to see the stuff is horrible for you, but most people don't care enough.

Or do they hate the culture that surrounds it?

You can have an incredibly satisfying life and still relax/let loose at a party. Yes, some people there may have substance abuse issues, but most people, at least the ones I party with, are reasonable adults having a night where we all get to act like we're back in college.

All these liquor bitch itt. Fucking kill yourself

In the UK it's the only way to bond in big social settings in this grey shithole. The entire drinking culture is literally getting smashed and that's it, nothing more nothing less. Our drinking culture is that shit, fucks sake drinking with Mediterraneans is actually a blast since their drinking culture is actually something that's I dunno how to say....deep and varying?

My mom drank when I was in the womb so I say I'm a recovering alcoholic who's been sober for 23 years

>drinking in a party so that you can be a degenerate
nope, kys
>drinking alone while enjoying some fine animu
patrician

>this entire post

not him but this exact same thread is made every few months here and it's always a frog poster or an anime girl poster.

They're degenerate and want to shame you to bring you down to their level

do you have fasd?