I always see "depressed" people on here asking for depressing literature and philosophy. Why do you do this...

I always see "depressed" people on here asking for depressing literature and philosophy. Why do you do this? I thought people didn't like having "depression"

I always see stupid people on here asking stupid questions. Why do you do this?

its comforting to read about people who have similar or worse off feelings than yourself

maybe im projecting but thats why i like to read it

Being depresses is part of their identity, they have been told all smart people are depressed that means they also have to be that way.

Seriously!
/r9k/ frogs and weak willed sorts that fall into these abysmal "spooks"
And they always use "depressive" in place of "depression" and "depressing". I don't think they're memeing either.

that's where you're wrong..
depression is the greatest feeling there is

really let's you disconnect

When you're depressed you see the world through a filter of negativity, and that negativity is comfortable.

melancholy feels good at first

Because they're not really depressed but they want to be because this Reminds me of an exchange from Doctor Who
>I love old things. They make me feel sad.
>What's good about sad?
>It's happy for deep people.

I disconnect without the misery all the time. Buddhists do this.
But then I let happiness, contentment, wash over me. The joy gets to the point of calm exhilaration.

Ataraxia

Self-pity is narcissism

it's not the same
it's not as complete
depression is like being post-death
buddhist/mindfulness shits is like not thinking about life/death

But they aren't depressed.

Manic people need escapism, too.

Depression works by perpetuating itself, that's just another symptom.

They probably think depression is "romantic" or some such nonsense.

I have depression. Not self-prescribed depression but legit clinical depression as judged by a doctor.
During the time before I went to get help for it I started reading the depressing books that Veeky Forums recommended in this pic. I read No Longer Human, Steppenwolf, Notes From Underground numerous times. It made me feel worse BUT the positive was that I related so much to the characters there. I underlined countless passages which could have been written by myself.

It makes you feel less like a freak if you know other people, especially respected writers like Dazai and Hesse felt these same things.

I bought the Conspiracy Against the Human Race but I haven't read it. I'm trying to get over this.

knowing that others are depressed makes you feel less alone and afraid.

when I had a really bad existential crisis it made me more panicky to know other people felt this way. That every serious thinker seemed to run into it at one point or other and none found reliable ideals to pull them through it. Admittedly it's different than just depression, more like a continually anxious state, looking for answers and meaning and promptly discarding them, reading Peter Wessel Zapffe helped me the most

You're not alone though user. You have us.

and DFW

aw thanks, senpai. I got over my depression about a year ago and I feel a lot better these days. Though some terribly beautiful and smart girl that I was seeing briefly just rejected me the other day, but I think I'll be over that in a short time. If anyone wants to know about how to get over depressio nmy life went like this

high school, alone, mild depression but also still some passion in life, manchild psyche -> university, failure to grow and mature, lead to terrible depression -> drop out, NEET, rock bottom of depression -> prescribed anti depressants, start to feel just well enough to actually see point to living -> got a job, got back into school, feeling good again

>I got over my depression
You never had it in the first place.

You were just edgy.

Either way I'm don't feel nearly as bad inside, so I guess it doesn't really matter does it?

Everyone has depression at some point of their lives. Get over yourself.

misery loves company

depression is the most annoying new meme

So it was like your own personal realizations were confirmed by other people, respected writers and thinkers? I can understand that logic.

People with actual depression don't want it. If you just could get over it those people would.

It's the fetishization of the oppressed or maybe alienation.

Essentially, yes.

Lately I've come to a realization that melancholy is a fairly normal human state of mind and not to take it too seriously. Otherwise I would feel it during important events, like family holidays or going on a hike with people, and launch into depressive thoughts and slowly make myself anxious and depressed. Now I know to just see it for what it is, the human mind when there is no excitement or rushes of neuro-chemical reactions going on and not to follow that sort of thinking pattern. Has done wonders

Then you've progressed farther than I have with coping. I can only switch off this negative mindset when drunk and around distractions like friends. When alone, not so much.

I got out of depression by practising positive thoughts. I didn't do it for ages because it sounds like annoying hippy crap. Eventually you realise the annoying hippies are right though.

Brainwash yourself with positive thinking, it becomes a habit.

>Happiness works by perpetuating itself, that's just another symptom

The only difference between happiness being "healthy" and depression being an "illness" is societal enforcement

>Now I know to just see it for what it is, the human mind when there is no excitement or rushes of neuro-chemical reactions going on and not to follow that sort of thinking pattern.

This itself should make you depressed.

Well, I think it's important to understand that the sense of melancholy is more of a neutral, lack of feeling than it is a negative one.

force a smile

Bullshit.

when you're depressed you want other things that empathize you. you can't even think about moving up yet, you have to rebuild your foundations first

no, fuk u.