How does Nick Land make money? Does he somehow get autismbux in Shanghai?

How does Nick Land make money? Does he somehow get autismbux in Shanghai?

>tfw nobody on Veeky Forums has read Land

>tfw I haven't even read Land

>tfw have to read Kant, Deleuze-Guattari, Marx, and Hegel before I can attempt the ol' St. Nick

He's the Edward Snowden of continental philosophy. China needs him to make sense of the AI they'll possess in due time.

Just check out his twitter and his blog. Although you don't really get a clear picture of his general view, more like tidbits supporting it. It's fun nonetheless.

We should send him a Christmas card

What did he mean by this?

>>tfw have to read Kant, Deleuze-Guattari, Marx, and Hegel before I can attempt the ol' St. Nick

You don't really need to read all that before diving into his earlier works. If you can stomach Land's signature brand of infantile/psychotic techno-philosophy, you should have no trouble reading his collection of essays fanged noumena, which feels more like excerpts from a shitty/edgy post-punk zine than anything of significant value, which it most certainly is not

He had a day job as a journalist last I heard.

Really? I read the intro to Fanged Noumena and it seemed like those four would be pretty important for an even basic understanding of Land. Though I haven't read any of the actual essays, so I'm sure you're right.

they're essential if you want to understand the kind of continental tradition Land grew out of and then tried to distance himself from, but most of the essays themselves are fairly straightforward and readable without a proper philosophical grounding, even if they have an undergraduate whiff about them. His later works are incredibly bizarre and complicated, but because they're so bloated with his paranoid technobabble there's very little 'philosophy' to identify with

this level of autism

This writing Does not compare to your
analysis... He just seems schizophrenic and fragmented.

>How does Nick Land make money?
He trains the Chinese Starcraft 2 team.

I don't think he has much money. He was deliberating quite a lot over making a 100 dollar bet with Scott Alexander in his comment section on his website.

Really there is nothing marketable about him. Most of his writing borders on insane or very hard to understand and he stopped being a Leftist some time ago which makes him essentially forbidden from most of that culture.

On a related note, I have a hard time understanding why he's chosen to link himself with all these far right groups. I guess he finds it entertaining or maybe he really was taken in by Moldbug's rhetoric.

he has more than one blog

I thought he thought that Moldbug was joking/presenting his ideas facetiously

he lives on a barrel or some shit

>Land lay behind the stage, flat on the floor (a ‘snake-becoming’ forming the first stage of bodily destratification), croaking enigmatic invocations intercut with sections from Artaud’s asylum poems. In this delirious vocal telegraphy, meaning seemed to disintegrate into sheer phonetic matter, melting into the cut-up beats and acting directly on the subconscious. As Land began to speak in his strange, choked-off voice (perhaps that ‘absurdly high pitched ... tone ... ancient demonists described as ‘silvery,’ which he later reports being taunted by) the disconcerted audience begin to giggle; the demon voice wavered slightly until Land’s sense of mission overcame his momentary self-consciousness; and as the ‘performance’ continued the audience fell silent, eyeing each other uncertainly as if they had walked into a funeral by mistake. Embarrassment was regarded by Land as just one of the rudimentary inhibitions that had to be broken down in order to explore the unknown – in contrast to the forces of academic domestication, which normalised by fostering a sense of inadequacy and shame before the Masters, before the edifice of what is yet to be learnt.

What do you mean? Moldbug often writes in a kind of ironic fashion but he is very serious about his overall system. UR is the length of like a few books, it would be weird to write that as a joke.

He seems to treat Moldbug as some kind of luminary if anything.

It was just an interpretation I heard on another thread about Land here once, I guess it was bullshit though.

It's funny how we're interpreting these types. It's kind of kooky, I guess.

That writing is not actually his. Keep up with the memes, grandpa.

such a fuckin cornball

I think Land is a house-husband and his wife brings home the bacon.

Moldbug ideas are no less "kooky" than anything pushed by your average leftist/marxist political philosopher.

If there's something anoying in Moldbug is his writing style though. I understand were this idea of facetiousness could come from.

I bet more than half of people in Veeky Forums who complain about Land actually base their idea of him from that pic, lol.

Ccru writings are certainly out-there nonetheless.
More of an aesthetic than anything else.
Meltdown is pretty good though

I really despise english majors

Land is a bit hard to read but he seems to have actually chosen to identify with the far right.

And why are we talking about them, they're new I guess. It's a little bit more interesting than neo-marxist theory #481 or whatever.

I want to see a verbal war in esoteric sophistry between Land and Zizek desu.

Yeah, it's interesting to consider too. It's this weird mix between another internet subculture and an "intellectual" movement. Also whenever they show up in actual strains of media everyone is so exasperated about it that it's funny to watch.

ironically, Moldbug/Land Nrx is the only political "movement" that is actually capable of serious critical analysis of neoliberalism or whatever else you want to call it nowadays.

That you have to assume a largely inhuman perspective to adopt valuable analysis of our current system says a lot.

>It's this weird mix between another internet subculture and an "intellectual" movement.

This quote comes irresistibly to mind:
>The "speculative realist movement" exists only in the imaginations of a group of bloggers promoting an agenda for which I have no sympathy whatsoever: actor-network theory spiced with pan-psychist metaphysics and morsels of process philosophy. I don't believe the internet is an appropriate medium for serious philosophical debate; nor do I believe it is acceptable to try to concoct a philosophical movement online by using blogs to exploit the misguided enthusiasm of impressionable graduate students. I agree with Deleuze's remark that ultimately the most basic task of philosophy is to impede stupidity, so I see little philosophical merit in a "movement" whose most signal achievement thus far is to have generated an online orgy of stupidity.

From Ray Brassier, who incidentally co-authored the introduction to Fanged Noumena

That's really funny. Though, I kind of doubt the actual impact either will have (Land now or the people Land used to "associate" with.)

Writes tourist guides.

Land specifically or the wider far right thing going on?

I don't even know, I guess I'm just talking about the NRx and all of the weird Leftist micro-sects doubtlessly floating around the web

it's funny how he got kicked out of warwick, not because of thoughtcrime (implying there was even anything intelligible in his work during that time because you can't have thoughtcrime without thought), but because they thought he was fucking around with irrelevant performance art in the name of philosophy.

and now he's unironically in china as if he were some kind of dissident, except no one chased him there, nor would anyone care to. turns out shitposting on the net from a continent away has less status than shitposting in the same country you are criticizing, because you have no skin in the game.

i think he's just latching on to the far right movement because he sees it's potential for memetic singularity. fits in with his pseudo-worship of the coming ai singularity.

shame he became a kantian

I think it's a bit early to tell. the most likely eventuality is that any popular far right movement gets co-opted by Fascists who offer a much more romantic view than anything truly NRx can supply

Yeah, that's always the thing keeping me out of NRx too, is the fact I can see it being easily coopted by Fascists as it is already misunderstood as Fascism.

land would spend most of his time trying not to levitate out of his chair while barely tolerating whatever dirty, humanitarian joke zizek happens to be farting out at that moment. they would be incapable of doing anything apart from talking past each other.

Because he is all about the flow of reality (Gnon) and the right fits into this quite well by being cold and mean

bump

He does a tv show with his friend