You should pay for books because otherwise authors don't get paid and (((the industry))) will die!

>you should pay for books because otherwise authors don't get paid and (((the industry))) will die!
Exactly how true is this meme? Writers were perfectly fine before the existence of copyright law.

And literature was 30000 times better than it is today.

Don't authors get paid in the spot by its publisser? I guess if tons of people buy their book that makes him more famous and "recognised" by the world but that is rpetty much impossible for good literature so I don't know.
Any user with experience care to enlighten us?

Except for the best seller types, many writers are struggling to make ends meet. Especially the small press and indies.
Some even work manual labor jobs to feed their families, don't be an ass and buy the damn book.
Multi millionaires like Neil Gaiman advocate piracy but majority of the writers aren't lucky and rich like him.

I'll pirate the book and send the author a cheque if I enjoyed it.

I'm basically like an art patron of days of yore.

Only the big names get paid huge sums. Book advances for debut authors are pretty low. Royalties form paperbacks are not much, either.

In the days before copyright, there was no way to access these books at no cost instantly aside from borrowing it from a friend.
Dumb Frogpirate.

>everything I dislike is a jewish meme
Daily reminder that this board, all boards, and the world that we live in would be vastly improved if all frogposters were hanged in public executions

>what is a joke

There also wasn't the internet you complete fucking retard

>lol why're you nerds mad that we ruin your board with shitposts, it's only bantz m8

Puzzle me this. (((who))) get's paid when the author is long dead, his relatives are dead, and his work is past copyright?

"You see, this user is obsessed with the noose, the execution's symbol; the noose, it is phallic and vaginal in-it-self. What user is here saying is that his mother's love always strangled him and that his father's penis was supporting his mother, moreover, he was raping her.

Tell me user, how was you relationship with your father?"

So true. Veeky Forums is an intellectual board.

>mad af because >muh board polluting
>responds with a shitpost

Next time refrain from posting.

If the copyright has expired it should be on the public domain.

You can always borrow it from a public library. Authors get paid for library checkouts.

If I buy a Dosto book, who the FUCK gets the money????

Translators, editors, cover artists and their bosses.

The material wellbeing of the artist should not depend on the commercial success of their art unless you only want trashy derivative mcnovels to be available in the future

this. Copyright is only really a problem in the age of digital reproduction. I don't buy all my books either but trying to justify your actions in this case is futile, the fact of the matter is that by pirating books you are preventing the original authors from profiting off their work. However, it isn't up to us to save an obsolete system of generating capital.

As far as 'the industry will die,' it's already severely wounded. Publishers are much less likely to gamble on literary fiction and are going for the sure shots of young adult fiction, recipe books, new-age self help, etc. because it's what the middle class buys due to the fact that intellectualism has been devalued. Until we get to a point where there's a substantial niche market for actual literature, it's unlikely for there to be much opportunity for quality to be published, especially in America unless you're Jonathan 'milquetoast' Franzen

>by pirating books you are preventing the original authors from profiting off their work

That's bullshit. the authors write books to get their memes* into as many heads as possible. Once the authors' memes are replicated in host organisms, they can convert them into cash by selling tickets to their live readings. DUH.

*non-colloquial usage

This

that's only the case now that book sales are no longer as lucrative. Same with concerts, they've always made money, but the real money maker always used to be the album, until physical media stopped being relevant

I love how the music industry is LITERALLY DYING because of this when albums were only profitable for a few decades at most

Depending on the market to get literature out is short-sighted. Don't try to save the dinosaur book industry, figure out better ways of publishing.

Kindle Unlimited and Apple's ibooks are already there. I think the industry will shift to the subscription model in the end.

When did the intellectual stuff ever make money?
Pulp fiction always made more money than literary fiction. When in the history of publishing did literary fiction actually sell?

Literary quality of genre fiction has skyrocketed recently, though. There is actual literature to be found in there.

>You should give for what you get.

You can't NOT, you only choose what you give.

Kys, you degenerate NEET. You shouldn't be allowed to read literature. You're the reason why "starving artists" is even a concept.

If you're not a well known enough author, nobody will even bother uploading your shit on pirate bay. This is in stark contrast to music, film, and video games where even the most obscure works can not only be found, but are uploaded practically day one.

Not true at all. How is piracy any different from a public library?

Not true at all.
There are specialized book pirate sites, pirate bay isn't the only place. Many indies and small press authors I know found their books in pirate portals.

Authors get paid from public library checkouts in most civilized countries and even some poorer countries.

people go to the library and read without checking books out

also i only read dead authors

people will write for free, and they did for thousands of years. The emotional value associated with having people read, love and be affected by your writing far exceeds the small salary that your average published author might make.

Same with music. The only valid mediums for this claim are film and video games because their development costs are so high, but fuck it, I say let them die, commercialized games and films are usually garbage. People will produce and pay for independent films and games of sufficient quality.

it's complete trash
if you want to support the author, send them money directly

Who cares? I'll take what I want and pay what I please.

>you could take this for free and pay whatever you want if you feel like it latter
>please pay what I want now

No thanks.

You're just proving his point

Why should writers make money from their work?

I see no benefit to that whatsoever.

Truth nigga preach that fuck
Although dough is what makes life bearable